Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Oct 10, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #2,012 of 2,108
I had auricap xo caps in my previous mainline as well. I'm not the best at describing sound nuances, but I'd say overall a more realistic tone, with better clarity. The mundorf have a bit more warmth while the auricap were more neutral. It was a fun and worthwhile upgrade; you've just got a lot of burn in ahead.

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #2,013 of 2,108
Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #2,014 of 2,108
How many hours for the break in you think? I’m gonna go ahead and order these
At least 100 - oil caps no matter the brand take a long time to burn in. I like these for their transparency and clarity.

Oct 27, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #2,015 of 2,108
So, first post here ... just wanted to join the fun as I finally pulled the trigger on a Mainline kit! I have some experience with soldering and reading schematics as I previously assembled a Hagerman Bugle, as well as a couple different DIY phono stage builds from an Audiokarma DIYer, but it's been a good 7-8 years and I'm feeling a bit rusty. I was wavering between the Crack and the Mainline - the former looked less daunting but the latter better fits what I need right now. Hopefully I haven't bit off more than I can chew, but the consensus seems to be that as long as I'm slow and deliberate and I follow the directions precisely, I'll be just fine.

Anyway, I'll post my impressions when the build is done ... assuming I haven't blown myself up.

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #2,016 of 2,108
So, first post here ... just wanted to join the fun as I finally pulled the trigger on a Mainline kit! I have some experience with soldering and reading schematics as I previously assembled a Hagerman Bugle, as well as a couple different DIY phono stage builds from an Audiokarma DIYer, but it's been a good 7-8 years and I'm feeling a bit rusty. I was wavering between the Crack and the Mainline - the former looked less daunting but the latter better fits what I need right now. Hopefully I haven't bit off more than I can chew, but the consensus seems to be that as long as I'm slow and deliberate and I follow the directions precisely, I'll be just fine.

Anyway, I'll post my impressions when the build is done ... assuming I haven't blown myself up.
Having built a BH BeePre, a Hagerman Cornet 2, and several guitar amps, I think you will have no problem. BH instructions are about the best around. Just take your time and enjoy the process.

Nov 13, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #2,017 of 2,108
Added a pair of .1uf duelund pure copper foil caps to bypass the 10uf mundorf tonight. The burn in process begins. Of course, it sounds soooo much better immediately. Ok, perhaps it's my excitement and confirmation bias at play, I admit :).

Nov 18, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #2,018 of 2,108
Added a pair of .1uf duelund pure copper foil caps to bypass the 10uf mundorf tonight. The burn in process begins. Of course, it sounds soooo much better immediately. Ok, perhaps it's my excitement and confirmation bias at play, I admit :).
Did you attached them to the middle of the leads of the 10uf capacitors, or directly to the same terminals? Curious how it's best to attach for bypass. Got pics? Lol

Nov 18, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #2,019 of 2,108
Did you attached them to the middle of the leads of the 10uf capacitors, or directly to the same terminals? Curious how it's best to attach for bypass. Got pics? Lol

I attached them to the same terminals. I’ve attached it to the lead before, and it is a difficult solder job to be honest. Terminal is much easier.

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #2,021 of 2,108
You don’t mind if you send a picture? I’ve always wanted to see how this looked up close
Someone earlier in this thread posted an idea of how it would look soldered to the leads of the 10uf caps. Just imagine connecting them to the same terminals that the 10uf are attached to instead.

You would basically remove the solder from the terminals the 10uf caps are attached to, then attach the leads of the .1uf bypass caps to those same terminals and then solder it all back up.

My bypass caps should arrive soonish and I'll take a photo for you then.

(The black vcaps are the bypass caps in this photo).

Attachments

• 841B7811-0C1B-45BD-8EA1-2927BAE1A55E.jpeg
    841B7811-0C1B-45BD-8EA1-2927BAE1A55E.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #2,022 of 2,108
Someone earlier in this thread posted an idea of how it would look soldered to the leads of the 10uf caps. Just imagine connecting them to the same terminals that the 10uf are attached to instead.

You would basically remove the solder from the terminals the 10uf caps are attached to, then attach the leads of the .1uf bypass caps to those same terminals and then solder it all back up.

My bypass caps should arrive soonish and I'll take a photo for you then.

(The black vcaps are the bypass caps in this photo).
Thank you.

Dec 1, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #2,023 of 2,108
Life has been busy but I was finally able to find time to attach the .1uf bypass caps.

I'm going to give these some time to burn in but first impressions are the amp doesn't sound worse. Lol.

I also need to wrap some heartshrink around the leads to rule out any future shorts.

Attachments

• 20211201_162718.jpg
    20211201_162718.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211201_162716.jpg
    20211201_162716.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #2,024 of 2,108
Life has been busy but I was finally able to find time to attach the .1uf bypass caps.

I'm going to give these some time to burn in but first impressions are the amp doesn't sound worse. Lol.

I also need to wrap some heartshrink around the leads to rule out any future shorts.
How are the vcaps working for you so far? How many hours you put in them? Thanks for the pictures btw

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back