1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by loquah, Sep 24, 2013.
First

Back
103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112
114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123
Next

Last
  1. CarlosUnchained
    Hi,

I'm new to DIY world so I'd like to start with a kit and the Crack caught my eye.
    Since is an OTL amp It does not pair well with my LCD-X.

I'm looking for advice on what parts change/add/remove to make it more powerful on the 20 ohm region.

Also I'd like to add a second pair of RCA variable output to use it as preamp.

Is something like that possible having the Crack as a base?

2. deserat
    I think you'll find this requires an Output Transformer. The Crack being an OTL ( Output Transformer Less ) Amp outputs at the native output of the tubes, there is no transformer to change the output impedance. While it may be possible to introduce a Transformer, I'm pretty sure it would destroy the unique characteristics of the Amp itself. Best just to buy a S.E.X. which is designed for high Watt, low impedance headphones.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    CarlosUnchained and Allanmarcus like this.
  3. CarlosUnchained
    Thanks @deserat

I was wondering what nice speakers could S.E.X. drive having 2W per channel below $1000.
    That's the only thing why I'd choose S.E.X. over Lyr 2.

4. Doc B.
    I agree, horses for courses. That's why we make five different headphone amps. The S.E.X. amp works very well with power demanding headphones, and for speakers Blumenstein Orcas are a very nice match.

CarlosUnchained likes this.
  5. CarlosUnchained
    @Doc B. I have a question regarding the S.E.X.

Is there any difference between the two pair of RCA out?

Is it possible to implement a switch to select RCA or headphone out?

Thanks for the recommendation.

6. Doc B.
    I'm afraid I don't understand the question. There are no RCA outputs on a S.E.X. amp, only binding posts and a TRS headphone jack. The binding posts are cut out when the headphones are plugged in.

7. CarlosUnchained
    Oh I see, my bad. I thought those were RCA.

8. CarlosUnchained
    Is the C4S included in the S.E.X. 3.0?

9. deserat
  10. CarlosUnchained
    Is it possible to have a balanced 4 pin XLR from the speaker taps?

Anywhere to buy such wire or individual parts to DIY (which ones)?

Is it possible to assemble everything inside the S.E.X. and make a hole in the chasis for the XRL output?

Would the speaker taps work if also connected to speakers having this setup?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  11. CarlosUnchained
    Sorry for the amount of questions but I'm reading the whole thread and catching up some possible issues.

I read that the noise floor for low impedance planars is present. I have the LCD-X wich is the most efficient of all. If that's an issue with the LCD-2 I guess the S.E.X. is not a good match for the Xs.

12. deserat
    I've run the S.E.X. 2.0 with Mr Speakers Ether C and they are silent. 23 ohm.

13. Solarium
    I'm also convinced that Mainline is a superb combination with the HD800. I do however use the Mojo with the Mainline, have you made any comparisons with the Mojo vs the Gumby pairing with the Mainline/HD800?

14. deserat
    I've not, I've only used the Mainline with the Bimby and the Gumby. I can say that it's the only amp cycled through that made the difference between those to dac's worth the price difference. I keep pondering the Mojo for portable use, but haven't bitten the bullet yet. Saw a Hugo go for the price of a Mojo on ebay last week, so I'm being patient about that purchase.

I have however finally put the about 300 hours on my Mundorf Supreme's highly recommend that ugprade. :)

15. Solarium
    Hugo for the price of a Mojo!? I would have jumped on that like a fat kid on ice cream!

What difference does the Mundorf Supreme make? How much did you get it for?

First

Back
103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112
114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123
Next

Last