Boston Area Meet - January 5th, Cambridge Innovation Center
Jan 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #46 of 67
Quote:
oh, and I just picked up a Parrot Zik....I'll bring that too. The Zik is a touch controlled, bluetooth, dsp and active noise reduction, app controlled headset that has reasonably good audio.

AND the new harman kardon BT will be coming, no anc just bluetooth.....and impressive...... Plus its about half the price of the Zik

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #48 of 67
Maybe I missed it before, but is there a specific room we should go to? I'm assuming there are multiple rooms at the CIC?

Also, is there any sort of community editable wiki post we can make where people can RSVP and list what they're bringing in one spot? I kind of lost track of how many people are going and what they're bringing throughout the course of this thread...

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #49 of 67
Sorry if this wasn't posted yet -but we will be up on the 5th Floor in the Havana room. Everyone will need to sign in with the front desk and the room is just down the hall once of the elevator.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #50 of 67
Looks like I'm not going to make it, so everyone can ask for Jacob Martin when they get to the CIC.  (That's media636, the one who secured the room).

Have fun, all!

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #51 of 67
Sorry to here you won't be making it CIZX, thanks for your efforts in making this happen. Looking forward too seeing everyone else this afternoon!

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #53 of 67
Should be there about 1:30

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #56 of 67
Quote:
Thanks everyone for today, nice meeting y'all... Unfortunately, now I'm going to be on an obsessional hunt for a used Stax setup... Oh well

lol, and me? hifiman he 400 not blue as most photos show but a nice balanced sound. I could listen to them ALL day, that was really eye opening AND the Sony MDR-SA5000, Denon7000 etc. This was also the first time I'd heard an AKG headphone....believe it or not the Harman Kardon BT I brought was most likely make by AKG, Harman is the parent corporation.
Its really good that an 009 didn't up.....you know how much blood I'd have to sell to get one?
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #57 of 67
So, after reading up on Stax models, etc., I realize I didn't really spend much time with your SR-5's (that's what you brought, right?), but only with your Lambda, which astonished me (especially with jazz...).  Just wondering what your opinion of the differences between them are, as I see an SR-5 and SRD-6 listed on eBay for $350... Is the soundstage comparable to the Lambda? 

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #58 of 67
Thank you All for sharing, it was really great to gather with local Head-fi'ers at our Boston meet today. I enjoyed checking out all the gear. There were all many cans I have been interested in trying including the HE-400, Stax Lambda, HD-25, D7000 and Koss esp950 combo. It was also nice get a chance to pair other sets with my HA-160D for test drive. Thanks again to media636 & cizx for scheduling and coordinating to make it happen, to bad you guys couldn't be there today. Looking forward to doing this again next year and seeing what you all added to your inventory. Looks like I my be able to try btankey's Stax, (hope you find a great deal) :wink: Thanks again guys!

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #59 of 67
So, after reading up on Stax models, etc., I realize I didn't really spend much time with your SR-5's (that's what you brought, right?), but only with your Lambda, which astonished me (especially with jazz...).  Just wondering what your opinion of the differences between them are, as I see an SR-5 and SRD-6 listed on eBay for $350... Is the soundstage comparable to the Lambda? 

In a word no. I'm thinking you should come buy a spend a few hours listening to the SR5's. I also have some esp9s you might like. My son has my Lambda Jrs. I think you should listen to those too. Juniors are missing the last lower octave but have the open soundstage

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #60 of 67
Well, once again, thanks to everyone for bringing their stuff.  I have to say, as new to this whole thing, and absolutely thrilled with my HE-400's and Little Dot +1 with upgraded tubes and opamp, that listening to your Stax was completely shocking.  While I think I'd prefer some music with my Hifiman phones, it was stunning to hear these, so thanks for bringing them.  I'm now wondering how best to 'get' that experience for myself... a newer Stax setup (SRS-2170, SRS-4170, SR-407 with SRM 323s or SRM-252s, SR-407 with SRD7/SB and decent simple receiver, etc...) or playing the waiting game for quality vintage Stax like you have?  Just to say, listening to Coltrane with your SRM-1 and Lambda was insane, and something I'd like to reproduce within the most reasonable budget possible... Would love some advice for a newbie... Of course, I should probably just enjoy my current setup, but that magic was palpable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back