BOSE.....why does it get laughed at in the audiophile community? Are the products really that bad???
Dec 22, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #76 of 99

Quote:
I'm sort of the reverse. After the rootkit scandal, I avoid Sony where I can because of a completely rational fear that they're spying on me and intentionally breaking my stuff. 
k701smile.gif

Nice! If It'd taken that route to get him away from the Sony stuff, he'd have gone crazy with paranoia though, and I don't want to break him, just let his ears enjoy themselves. 

By the way, I'm not saying Sony stuff is bad, per se, since there's some nice Sony stuff out there, just that it's kind of blasé.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #77 of 99

Quote:
By the way, I'm not saying Sony stuff is bad, per se, since there's some nice Sony stuff out there, just that it's kind of blasé.

The definition of blase is to be indifferent or unimpressed. YOU can be blase toward Sony products, but the products themselves cannot be blase.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #78 of 99

Quote:

The definition of blase is to be indifferent or unimpressed. YOU can be blase toward Sony products, but the products themselves cannot be blase.

Maybe I'm using a stipulative definition of blase? I hereby stipulate that my definition of blase for the use of that post is "unimpressive."

I just finished my last final for the semester on legal ethics and am drained, throw me a bone...

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #79 of 99

Quote:
Maybe I'm using a stipulative definition of blase? I hereby stipulate that my definition of blase for the use of that post is "unimpressive."

Or you could be like me and have an innate tendency to anthropomorphize certain things like audio equipment.

In either case, I must respectfully disagree, citing the R10 and Qualia as among the most impressive dynamic headphones in our hobby's sordid history.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #80 of 99

Quote:
Or you could be like me and have an innate tendency to anthropomorphize certain things like audio equipment.

I absolutely do. I like that theory more. Thanks for giving me a way out that saves face!

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #81 of 99
The Qualia and R10 are great headphones.

But I also think highly of the MDR-SA5000 and MDR-7509HD.  Not quite the same level of performance, but still very good headphones.

For the record, I'm still unhappy with Sony for dumping on SACD.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #82 of 99

Quote:
Remember, you can never convince someone rationally that a conclusion that they arrived at through non-rational means is wrong.

You are absolutely right. I really should stop arguing with audiophiles about cables/amps/DACs...

OT: I fear the comments to the effect of "People buy BOSE products as status symbols" seems a tad rich, not for the people personally, but for audiophiles as a whole, when we have whole magazines selling eye-wateringly priced equipment which nobody can quantify why it is better - but it comes in very expensive, shiny cases and allows you to compose photos showing how much disposable income you have.

That's before you start on the fanboys, of which audiophilia has its fair share.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #83 of 99

Quote:
lol @ reliable sony
beyersmile.png

Why? Every sony headphone i have owned has never broken and they still work today.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #85 of 99

Quote:
Why? Every sony headphone i have owned has never broken and they still work today.

Sony is also known to have its issues with equipment. No company is perfect. The fact that they have a 90 day warranty on their flag ship IEM is insulting and the MSRP attached makes it worse. A company shows confidence in its products by offering long term warranties not vice versa.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #86 of 99
Willakan, you're absolutely right, I know I'm guilty of falling for audio snake oil from time to time. What Bose does is no better than the companies marketing hundred thousand dollar speakers. Nobody is getting their money's worth. It's definitely an emotional thing rather than a rational one when it comes to most luxury items and audio equipment is no exception.

Casey, no company makes perfect equipment, it's irrational to think Sony equipment is always more reliable, which is what my friend thought. Besides, even if their headphones are, they make hundreds of products that really aren't. Though I'll hand it to them, their standards for reliability are pretty high for much of their lineup.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #87 of 99

Quote:
Willakan, you're absolutely right, I know I'm guilty of falling for audio snake oil from time to time. What Bose does is no better than the companies marketing hundred thousand dollar speakers. Nobody is getting their money's worth. It's definitely an emotional thing rather than a rational one when it comes to most luxury items and audio equipment is no exception.
Casey, no company makes perfect equipment, it's irrational to think Sony equipment is always more reliable, which is what my friend thought. Besides, even if their headphones are, they make hundreds of products that really aren't. Though I'll hand it to them, their standards for reliability are pretty high for much of their lineup.
Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Sony's under $30 headphones and earphones last for years.

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #88 of 99

Quote:

But I also think highly of the MDR-SA5000 and MDR-7509HD.  Not quite the same level of performance, but still very good headphones.

Got audition the MDR-SA5000 at Jaben in HK on holiday - was very impressed with them. A bit like a K701 but without the issues and an overall smoother sound.

The Z1000 was disapointing though. A lot more grainy than I was expecting.

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #89 of 99
Well for the record, their ANC feature works pretty darn well from my experience. It far surpasses that of the Beats Studio's ANC feature. I haven't tried any of the Sony or Audio Technica ANC headphones though, so my ANC experience is very limited.

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #90 of 99
Not overly surprising: not because the BOSE headphones are wonderful, but because the noise cancelling of the Studios, as measured by Tyll Hertsens of InnerFidelity, is abominably awful.
They still have good noise cancelling, from what I've read, but it's nothing incredibly special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back