Bose user switching to Grado(need advise)
May 11, 2009 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jjmouse

Head-Fier
Im a music lover,but not a PRO on audio equirement..
Thats why im using bose quitecomfort 3 + iphone
I was thinking to buy a Dr Dre one until i found head fi(thanks for that) , here has so much info !

Firstly, i was never heard about grado before(dont blame me..lol),but after i read more and more post in this forum,i found the RS1 is masterpiece compared to what i have seen!

Im planning to get one Grado headphone..for home use,which mostly listen apple lossness MP3 and CD i've got.

My current audio equirement :
Macbook pro 2008 late for MP3 and CD..
Sony A728
Bose Companian 5
Bose Quietcomfort 3

I need some advise on the following :

Headphones,
RS1 - $699
RS2 - $429 (cheapest i've seen)
SR325i - $299
Alesslandro M2 $250
Alesslandro MPro $5xx

Im planning to get one of these on above..im not sure should i go for RS1 immediatly, my concern is i dont have any headphone amp for it..been thinking use bose companian 5 as amp..since it has headphone out too ?

Also, any online store offering cheaper price for those ? (Got to order online since im living in Hong Kong)
darthsmile.gif

Please advise..Thanks

May 11, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 12
It really depends on the kind of music you listen to. Grado headphones lack soundstage and some say that they don't have enough bass.

When you list the music genres you listen to, we can help you out a lot more.

May 11, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 12
I think whichever you choose you will have a problem getting them shipped to HK. Grado is very strict on their export policy and you can only get them from local dealers in your country.

The best option is to buy a used pair from the FS Section or go with the alesslandro as they will ship worldwide.

May 11, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 12
I'd stay away from the MS2 unless you like an extremely harsh sound to your music. MS1 is good for the price but if you can afford more i'd go for one of the higher end grados.

May 11, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 12
As for my music genres , i do listen Progress metal(dreamtheater), Pink Floyd , Michael Jackson , etc.

Personally do like RS1..looks really cool..but do i need a amp like RA1 for RS1 ?

May 11, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 12
You don't "need" an amp with Grado's. If you do end up getting the RS1's, just get them first and decide on an amp later on. I haven't heard the RS1's, but all the other Grado's I've owned sounded fine "unamped". I'd say your source is more important.

May 11, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 12
I have the 325i's and they sound fine unamped. It's just that they can sound so much better when amped. I have found that they are not very forgiving with low qualliy rips.

May 11, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 12
Why not get a lower end model like the SR-225 and then get an amp to match up with it? I own the SR-225 and they sound fantastic for Metal/Rock going through my Gilmore Lite. That combo ran me about $500, which was a great starting point getting into the Grado line.

May 11, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #11 of 12
You don't need an amp for the RS-1. I run mine from an iPod without much trouble. Now, it does sound a lot better from a proper amp, but it's good enough to get by on trips and vacations.

As for getting one into the country... Grado has some strict dealer territories. You might have to pay more than $700 USD to get one.

I'd recommend finding a used pair. They come up in the For Sale Forum here and there's usually a pair or two over at Audiogon. Used, they usually sell for $500-$550 USD.

May 12, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for all of the reply..
Im going to grab one RS1 from ebay or amazon..some site listed not allow to sale outside US,but some do not,im quite confuse now.

As for the Source,i do have a Sony MDS-S38(MD deck) , Sharp MD80 and Sony A728

Which one would be better match with RS1 ?

Personally i do like to play music from my Macbook pro,should i get a DAC like Apogee Duet ? Are the sound experience really different ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back