Bose Triport IE's - impressions from users
Nov 30, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #137 of 194
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this board.

I bought a pair of these Bose headphones from Best Buy on November 13th (looks like this may have been before the release date... lucky me!) I just saw them and bought them on a whim because I was looking to upgrade.

On first listen I was utterly dissapointed, but returned my old earphones after about an hour (apple in-ears) and discovered how much I missed the deep bass, although it was incredibly overpowering.

I figured they needed some burn in, so I left them playing on my iPod for 4 days straight.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! These headphones became incredible, especially after you figure out which earpiece to use. I am very impressed with the sound quality and personally feel that they blow my roomates Sony E90s (or whatever) right out of the water in most regards.

In the end though, I am taking them back after abotu 3 weeks because I can't stand the fact that they dont' isolate! I've used earphones that slihgtly isolate (Sony 51s 71s and apple in ears) for so long that I just can't handle the outside noise.

I understand that this is not their problem, it is just my preference. I feel horrible taking them back, though, mostly because I've really grown to like them. In The end I guess they are just not for me.

So... my story does not end on a sad note! I have ordered a pair of the Etymotic ER4p at student price! (a GREAT deal.... reg price in canada is $429 CAN... student price is $215 CAN).

I hope that these headphones will be more what I am looking for... if not I don't konw what I'll do!

Thanks for reading!

Nov 30, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #138 of 194
P.S. two things:

1) Anyone that would like to trade for my large pair of silicone pieces for their smallest pair just email me to set up the exchange.

2) Has anyone found something safe to help keep the earpieces in place without damaging the phones. It is WAY to easy for the little buggers to slip off...

thanks!

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #139 of 194
Hi, quick question. Do the buds have to go deep into your ear? I hate that feeling. Right now I'm using some Sony buds.(Like the Apple ones) Are they like that at all? I would use my Grado SR 80's on the train and bus, but way too loud for that.
EDIT: I read the whole thread, and saw that they do sit in the cup of your ear... Thank You.

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #140 of 194
They barely enter the ear canal or seal at all... they are open-air design.

From my experience with these, they are exactly what you are looking for. (But they weren't for me, so I took them back). Just give them a good break-in period.

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #142 of 194
If you are going to modify them, keep the bass/mid range and trale ports otherwise you will loose some of the sound quality.

Are you doing a custom chamber design for the driver or do you just do the ergonomics? Would be interesting to see how you do it.

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #143 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't want to begrudge you your sarcastic rebuttle to my comment, since it's what you've been good at since day 1 and can't seem to let it go - but I'll try my best:

Who said anything about feeling sorry for them? They rake in plenty of dough -- more than they deserve for the sound quality they offer (and I'm referring to home systems and headphones obviously, not studio reference equipment as you so eloquently pointed out).

Simple fact is that their product WILL hurt sales for companies like UE and Shure. Wait one year, ask UE and Shure if their sales have not declined. I would bet money on this (and I have -- with stocks, in similar situations to this, and wound up ahead).

Regardless if the Bose IE is not an "isolating" earphone, it is made to look as such, and will drive sales away from the truly deserving (in my opinion) companies. And seeing as how Bose has hyped the market with their noise cancelling technology, I think this product will mislead many people and they will purchase them thinking it incorporates the same technology as their larger siblings. Yes, I know it is not advertised as such, but giving it a similar name to those that have said technologies, the lamen will be suckered in.

It's too bad that you feel compelled to project your needs and biases upon everyone else in the world. The Bose IE deserves its share of the market along with Sure, Etymotic, and all the other IEM manufacturers because it meets the needs of a segment of the population in a very appropriate and value rich way. The IE is a good product for those who do not want isolation from their external environment, and want an ear bud form factor as opposed to a more conventional headphone form factor. This is a great product for someone who wants descent sound, wants to be active, and not isolated from their environment. Bravo BOSE! Good job!

Is the IE perfect? Of course not! Is it fairly priced? Yes! Does it represent a good value at this price point? Yes!

The low end is prominent and stable, the placement of the IE is stable. This is a near perfect solution for many people. Bass is the first thing to become obscured by activity while wearing an IEM like an ETY, Sure, etc. Then, due to physical activity, most any IEM becomes dislodged and bass goes away entirely!
When I'm sitting completey still, the sound of my ER4's far surpass the sound of the BOSE IE's. If I'm riding a bike, walking, jogging, or engaging in any activity where I need to be able to hear my surroundings for safety or convenience, I have not found ANYTHING better than the BOSE IE.

I dare say, BOSE easily possess enough expertise to address any need they want and they've done an exceptional job with their IE. The products they make exist becuse that is what they've chosen to make, to address the market they choose to address. More power to them. If any Bose product fails to address your need, give yourself permission not to buy it, but for heaven's sake, don't assume everyone has the same needs or taste as you.

BTW, regarding active noise cancellation, BOSE pretty much invented the technology and has been producing professional products for over ten years that address that need. I doubt there's another company on the planet that has a better command of noise canceling technology. So in the case of the IE's, they obviously did not intend for them to be isolating in any way.

Cheers!

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #144 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps its different in your part of the world, but I have to disagree with this statement. I've worked with plenty of professional sound guys, and I don't know any who use any Bose equipment. At least in my area, I would not consider Bose to be "highly regarded" for professional audio. To be honest, I don't think that Bose is really even on the radar of these guys.

I agree with much of what you have written elsewhere in this thread, however. As I read the impressions in this thread, I keep thinking, "I'd probably hate this, but my wife would probably love it." You can say what you want about the sound signature of Bose products, but you really can't fault Bose's ability to market products that appeal to certain market segments.

Check this site out:
http://pro.bose.com/ProController?ev...index.jsp&ck=0

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #145 of 194
I tried the Bose IEs. While I agree that Bose shouldn't be singled out for the sake of being singled out, I don't believe calling the Bose IEs decent in comparison to other IEMs just because some people are heavily biased against them is justified either. I have tried the Bose IEs, and I will assert that they have their merits. That does not go to say that I would buy and use them. Compared to an iBud, sure, they're great; improved bass response, funky looks, better fit. But compare it even to my "low man on the totem pole" E2s, my hand pulls back from the Boses as though I touched a hot iron and the E2s are the ice cubes. Let's break it down into a nifty table-like diagram.

Seal:
Boses have very little in comparison to the E2s, if there even is a comparison.

Looks:
Boses look like a little hairdryer with silicone. E2s look like nothing. E2s look like E2s.

Sound:
Boses have lots of bass, a lot. There is so much bass that I cannot even hear the vocals. That may be a stretch. The vocals are very recessed and I can hardly hear them. In Switchfoot's "Dare You to Move," I did not hear much of the verses, but could snag some of the chorus. If I had not heard the song before and had not learned what the lyrics were, I would not have understood the song at all. The vocals were so de-emphasized that I could not discern what fellow was saying. Highs were hardly there either, worse than the E2s. Cymbals sound like an ugly mess of sounds that join into loud "pssSSSSsssh." Not to say I like the E2's highs, but the E2 highs are a little clearer.

Overall, the Boses aren't terrible, but they aren't as decent as 1 competitor. You have free will, but you also have a brain.

Dec 4, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #146 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the Bose IEs. While I agree that Bose shouldn't be singled out for the sake of being singled out, I don't believe calling the Bose IEs decent in comparison to other IEMs just because some people are heavily biased against them is justified either. I have tried the Bose IEs, and I will assert that they have their merits. That does not go to say that I would buy and use them. Compared to an iBud, sure, they're great; improved bass response, funky looks, better fit. But compare it even to my "low man on the totem pole" E2s, my hand pulls back from the Boses as though I touched a hot iron and the E2s are the ice cubes. Let's break it down into a nifty table-like diagram.

Seal:
Boses have very little in comparison to the E2s, if there even is a comparison.

Looks:
Boses look like a little hairdryer with silicone. E2s look like nothing. E2s look like E2s.

Sound:
Boses have lots of bass, a lot. There is so much bass that I cannot even hear the vocals. That may be a stretch. The vocals are very recessed and I can hardly hear them. In Switchfoot's "Dare You to Move," I did not hear much of the verses, but could snag some of the chorus. If I had not heard the song before and had not learned what the lyrics were, I would not have understood the song at all. The vocals were so de-emphasized that I could not discern what fellow was saying. Highs were hardly there either, worse than the E2s. Cymbals sound like an ugly mess of sounds that join into loud "pssSSSSsssh." Not to say I like the E2's highs, but the E2 highs are a little clearer.

Overall, the Boses aren't terrible, but they aren't as decent as 1 competitor. You have free will, but you also have a brain.

Keep in mind that I took my pair back becuase they were just not for me. However, at least realise what you are trying before writing a review. These are not meant to compete with the E2s. THEY DON"T SEAL AT ALL AND PROVIDE NO ISOLATION!

Secondly, if you read other posts in here you would see that they require a lot of break in for their full potential to be realised... that muddy bass goes away.

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #147 of 194
opinions are like rear ends, everybody has one and they usually stink! we must keep in mind that there are no authorities here and that all of our posts are based on personal experiences and preferences. judging by many of the posts here i would say that many of our posters are barely out of puberty and severely lacking in life experience. that being said, i thoroughly enjoy the bose in ears and don't quite understand how they deliver such big sound without the need of an ear canal seal. they sit in your ears very comfortably and sit there without moving even during rigorous exercise. one man's trash is another man's treasure!

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #148 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is so much bass that I cannot even hear the vocals. That may be a stretch. The vocals are very recessed and I can hardly hear them.

Some recordings fair worse with the IEs than others, but that description is way off. The IEs resolve a lot of detail once they're fed by a decent signal, and I wouldn't want any prospective buyer to be misled by joneeboi's comment.

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #149 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbgalg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
opinions are like rear ends, everybody has one and they usually stink! we must keep in mind that there are no authorities here and that all of our posts are based on personal experiences and preferences. judging by many of the posts here i would say that many of our posters are barely out of puberty and severely lacking in life experience. that being said, i thoroughly enjoy the bose in ears and don't quite understand how they deliver such big sound without the need of an ear canal seal. they sit in your ears very comfortably and sit there without moving even during rigorous exercise. one man's trash is another man's treasure!

Excellent points.

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #150 of 194
To be totally honest, you need to take full advantage of the 30 day trial that Bose offer.

Give the IE's about 100 hours of use and if you don't notice a difference then return them as they are probably defective. They take longer than 100 hours to fully 'bed in' but most of that should be done after 100.

Hmm, The old No highs, no lows must be a Bose argument. Really, most people who use that saying expect Bose to be a pro-audio manufacturer with everything they make. Well, even they state they do not create pro Audio sound quality so who knows where you got that from?!

What they claim to do is make the best product they can for a price catagory. Soemtimes ive found that works - in the sense that for X amount of money Bose sounds better. However, sometime it's a little different. When comparing a Bose to another system with say rock music for example, the other system will sound better, however with electro or something else the Bose will sound better. What im saying (or trying to) is Bose will make a product that sounds consitent with different types of music and you would need a more expensive system or a number of different systems to be able to listen to a wide range of music with similar quality (which would cost more
wink.gif
)

Bose do make a pro audio solution for bands, providing speakers and amps and to be totally honest, it sounds very good next to a lot of other speakers. They seem to know what they are doing and make a much better sound.

Im not defending Bose, im just adding a balanced view.

Personally I know what I like, I know what sounds good to me and really, that's all that counts. Non of this 'Audiophile' stuff, ignore it - they are just people trying to push the boundaries of sound replication. Best thing anyone can do is to try it themselves. That way, they know what they are buying and they know what else is out on the market so they know that they feel they are getting the best for their money. Oh and take advantage of everything they offer you. Im looking forward to my IE's standing up to the 2 year warranty
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back