Bose Triport IE's - impressions from users
Oct 28, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #16 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by poonpower
wow, i might wanna give these a try

Only $100, one twentieth of the market price of a pair of HP-2s
very_evil_smiley.gif
If you think of it that way, everything'll be cheap!

Oct 28, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #19 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
So... where are those smartass bose bashers now?
rolleyes.gif

I still wouldn't get it
wink.gif
and neither will you
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #20 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I still wouldn't get it
wink.gif
and neither will you
biggrin.gif

Here here to that! I still think Bose is overpriced gimicky crap. While these may sound great for $99 phones, just the fact that they don't isolate would put me off. That's the whole reason most of us like IEMs, for their portability and their isolation properties.... because large cans usually have a larger sound, but aren't portable and don't always isolate sound.

I think it's also quite ironic that the company who made "noise-cancelling" technology famous has no desire to incorporate any noise cancelling features into these "semi-buds."

But undoubtedly, Bose is a marketing machine, and they will probably sell more of these in one year than all the IEM manufacturers combined have sold in the past decade. Smart move on Bose's part, joining the the "small and portable" playing field. I'd definately give these a listen to see what they have to offer, to see if Bose has finally come up with something worthwhile.

Oct 28, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #21 of 194
After reading these reviews I decided to give them a try. As you can see from my sig I also like earbuds that dont seal. Although I use my superfi 5 pro when I need isolation, most of the time I actually need to hear whats going on in the background.

I recently joined the Sony Ex-90 band wagon for this purpose. The Bose IE are much better than the SOny Ex-90's.

Comfort as expected from Bose (in lieu of previous sound issues) has always been excellent. They just sit in the ear, do not seal and do not move around even on the treadmill. I have not had to fidget with them like other buds.

Sound is very open and good soundstage for littile buds. Not as much bloated bass as the Sony ex-90 but good clear mids and highs. I actully changed my iPod eq back from jazz to Flat and they sound fine.

Basic "Y" cord and great portable length.

They are however not as sensitive as you would expect and require about 3/4 volume on my 4th gen iPod to get good volume. But the sound remains consistent through the range even at lower volumes. You dont have to boost the volume to hear more bass or high end.

They definetly do not have that tunnel sound I experienced when trying original Triports.

Highly recommended

Oct 28, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #22 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchurgin
They are however not as sensitive as you would expect and require about 3/4 volume on my 4th gen iPod to get good volume. But the sound remains consistent through the range even at lower volumes. You dont have to boost the volume to hear more bass or high end.

I noticed that it takes as much power as my im716 to get to the same volume level. They also benefit from amplification-- my sr71 helps tightens up the loose details.

Once I stopped constantly comparing it to my um2s, it's easy to forget its faults (e.g. the bass smears the treble a bit), and they're actually rather fantastic-sounding!

Oct 29, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #23 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
What other headphones have you owned? And psh. Nothing Hendrix did is 'very old.' Robert Johnson's what i'd call 'very old.'

The road traveled over the last year is Shure E3's to Shure E4's then UM-2's and a trial of Sennheiser CX-300's.

Electric Ladyland Studios were contrived over 40 years ago and Hendrix is Classic Rock with an originality unparalleled by very, very few (Robert Johnson included). But that is a discussion for another bored.

I am now pulling the cord up and over my ears. Thank god the silicone is soft...
etysmile.gif

Oct 30, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #25 of 194
I'm not much of a high-fidelity listener and have been perfectly happy with the B&O earbuds for the last few years, because they're fantastically comfortable. Last week I picked up the Triport IEs with only modest expectations and haven't burnt them in yet. Some first impressions though.

The IEs are, as people are saying, pretty comfortable to wear, even for long periods. Although they don't isolate, they do block out a lot of background noise and can handle high volumes without sounding embarrassed. They fit well enough into my ear to have noticeable noise from the cable, and stay put once they're in place. Interestingly, there is incredibly little "leakage", so people around you will not hear any annoying wasp-buzz. Even if you take them out of your ear and hold them close to it with music playing on high volume the IEs are almost silent, which must say something about how well they direct sound into the ear passage.

The IEs are moderately difficult to drive; I listen to them with my iPod on full volume, which I never used to do with the B&Os. This means that the limit is very much your amplification ... with the high output on a plane journey, I found that the IEs were fine to unbearable volumes. I don't own a headphone amp, but would guess that those who do would be happy with the impedance ... the rest of us will probably end up topping out the volume dials more than we would like.

In sound terms, I initially found the bass, which is startlingly emphasized, to be too "boomy", with a sense that particular frequencies were being given inappropriate prominence. Since that first impression, though, I've noticed how good the IEs are at bringing out sustained low notes. Bass guitar is great, the IEs separate acoustic bass from guitar well, synth pads have added richness. More impressively, the IEs brought very clearly a deep gong sound that is usually disguised by cymbals in a Messiaen piece.

On the downside, these are not (at least, without being burnt in they're not) the sort of headphones that flatter everything that they play. I try to avoid EQ on playback, but find a degree of treble gain essential to get any airiness into the sound. Thus far I find that mid-range instruments, especially guitars, lack presence, and the swollen bass drags somewhat on rock mixes (e.g. Springsteen's "Thunder Road"), robbing them of immediacy and excitement. Don't expect much to show for your money if you listen to music that is naturally lacking in bass.

By contrast, these semi-earbuds do a great job on dance mixes where the relatively separated bass line can be blown up almost to nightclub intensity without losing the rest of the track. The same trick works well on orchestral music ... although the IEs aren't doing anything special at the top end, they retain an acceptable level of mid-top detail while adding a bottom end that you simply don't hear much except on high-end hi-fi systems or heavily coloured home cinema systems.

In terms of build, where you'd expect the IEs to be pretty flawless, the critical element (the headphone jack) looks up to the job and the cable seems well secured at the headphone end. The connection between the soft sleeve and the main earbud is not as positive as I'd like ... I fully expect the sleeve to be left in my ear when I remove the bud, although it hasn't happened yet.

The carry case - very bulky compared with the B&Os - looks great but I find winding up the chord something of a pain. On the plus side, you will not damage your IEs while they're in the case because they are protected by hard plastic inside the leatherette.

I'll post more if my view changes over time, but for now I'd say that these are well worth the money.

Oct 31, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #26 of 194
Does it go into your ear canal? I find many people call the create IEM not in ear canal earphone and I yet find it hard to insert into my ears!! Are these the same?

What is the difference between its tips and Shure brown tips?

Oct 31, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #27 of 194
I'm in the market for a midrange priced headphone right now....and I'm currently looking at DT770/80 even though I've never heard of them, everybody recommends them for thier bright highs but also HEAVY bass, perfect for club type music....

Also looking at the K240's as well....

They're gonna be for biking around...I don't really care about isolation from the outside world either (safety)....I just want good SQ. I currently have some KSC75's that I use for the the gym, but I'll also be using these at the gym with my iPod.....I'll probably have a portable amp/pimeta with me, so impedance isn't an issue....

How do these, IEM style aside, compare to those above for this type of sound/music? I'm tired of turning up the volume, and the bass going to ****...

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #28 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel
I'm not much of a high-fidelity listener and have been perfectly happy with the B&O earbuds for the last few years, because they're fantastically comfortable. Last week I picked up the Triport IEs with only modest expectations and haven't burnt them in yet. Some first impressions though.

The IEs are, as people are saying, pretty comfortable to wear, even for long periods. Although they don't isolate, they do block out a lot of background noise and can handle high volumes without sounding embarrassed. They fit well enough into my ear to have noticeable noise from the cable, and stay put once they're in place. Interestingly, there is incredibly little "leakage", so people around you will not hear any annoying wasp-buzz. Even if you take them out of your ear and hold them close to it with music playing on high volume the IEs are almost silent, which must say something about how well they direct sound into the ear passage.

The IEs are moderately difficult to drive; I listen to them with my iPod on full volume, which I never used to do with the B&Os. This means that the limit is very much your amplification ... with the high output on a plane journey, I found that the IEs were fine to unbearable volumes. I don't own a headphone amp, but would guess that those who do would be happy with the impedance ... the rest of us will probably end up topping out the volume dials more than we would like.

In sound terms, I initially found the bass, which is startlingly emphasized, to be too "boomy", with a sense that particular frequencies were being given inappropriate prominence. Since that first impression, though, I've noticed how good the IEs are at bringing out sustained low notes. Bass guitar is great, the IEs separate acoustic bass from guitar well, synth pads have added richness. More impressively, the IEs brought very clearly a deep gong sound that is usually disguised by cymbals in a Messiaen piece.

On the downside, these are not (at least, without being burnt in they're not) the sort of headphones that flatter everything that they play. I try to avoid EQ on playback, but find a degree of treble gain essential to get any airiness into the sound. Thus far I find that mid-range instruments, especially guitars, lack presence, and the swollen bass drags somewhat on rock mixes (e.g. Springsteen's "Thunder Road"), robbing them of immediacy and excitement. Don't expect much to show for your money if you listen to music that is naturally lacking in bass.

By contrast, these semi-earbuds do a great job on dance mixes where the relatively separated bass line can be blown up almost to nightclub intensity without losing the rest of the track. The same trick works well on orchestral music ... although the IEs aren't doing anything special at the top end, they retain an acceptable level of mid-top detail while adding a bottom end that you simply don't hear much except on high-end hi-fi systems or heavily coloured home cinema systems.

In terms of build, where you'd expect the IEs to be pretty flawless, the critical element (the headphone jack) looks up to the job and the cable seems well secured at the headphone end. The connection between the soft sleeve and the main earbud is not as positive as I'd like ... I fully expect the sleeve to be left in my ear when I remove the bud, although it hasn't happened yet.

The carry case - very bulky compared with the B&Os - looks great but I find winding up the chord something of a pain. On the plus side, you will not damage your IEs while they're in the case because they are protected by hard plastic inside the leatherette.

I'll post more if my view changes over time, but for now I'd say that these are well worth the money.

Very good review.
With regards to the case, don't count your chickens just yet. UE had a hard shell case that wound inside, and now a ton of headphones wound up cracking as a result of putting strain on the body of the IEM. So now we have "dentable" flimsy linty cases [ as I say with a smile on my face ].
etysmile.gif

You would think BOSE might take some suggestions from companies [and us readers and reviewers] on IEMs. They are new to the market and will need all the help they can get to succeed with a great sounding product.... just to get it out there, they don't need our help at all.

The three postulates of Bose:

Do I ever think Bose will make a great sounding, non over priced, non gimicky product? No, I don't.

Can Bose appeal to the masses with these Triport IEs through the marketing machine that UE and Shure can't yet gain access to? They surely can.

So is Bose going to sell 100 Triports to every 1 comparable Shure or UE product? They sure will.

It's a sad day for audiophiles, folks.

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #29 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ
The three postulates of Bose:

Do I ever think Bose will make a great sounding, non over priced, non gimicky product? No, I don't.

Can Bose appeal to the masses with these Triport IEs through the marketing machine that UE and Shure can't yet gain access to? They surely can.

So is Bose going to sell 100 Triports to every 1 comparable Shure or UE product? They sure will.

It's a sad day for audiophiles, folks.

There's a clear distinction between the audiophile market and the Bose market, and I think that most buyers know which one they belong to. The hidden message with Bose is that you can go and buy audiophile stuff if you want, but Bose will give you comparable sound quality without having to turn over your entire house to contain it; they produce sound systems for people who hate sound systems. Purely by virtue of being on these boards, most forumites are placing themselves at the other end of the market.

The IEs are the first Bose product I've bought, but I've always been tempted by their "practical solutions" to listening problems. (Of course, these solutions are not always practical at all, as the illogical on-ear design of the QC3s rather underlines.) My experience with NAD, Arcam and Quad has rather confirmed the impression that hi-fi does a great job for those comparatively infrequent occasions when you want to sit down and listen with concentration and attention. At other times it is temperamental and unsatisfactory, because neutral, transparent reproduction doesn't suit most domestic environments.

The IEM market is one where the best product should win in sales terms, but since the Triport IEs are not IEMs I suspect that Bose will simply have sidestepped direct competition yet again. Given, however, that the IEs just may be the best-sounding earbuds yet, perhaps this is one time when we need not begrudge them their success.

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #30 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel
The IEM market is one where the best product should win in sales terms, but since the Triport IEs are not IEMs I suspect that Bose will simply have sidestepped direct competition yet again. Given, however, that the IEs just may be the best-sounding earbuds yet, perhaps this is one time when we need not begrudge them their success.

I don't at all, and in fact, typed in another thread that I think they will do excellent and are proud of them for trying to come up with a product like this. Sadly, I think it will drastically hurt sales for great companies like Shure and UE. This is what a major company did to Ben & Jerry's, and if it wasn't for their loyal fans protesting and petitioning by the masses, they would have put B&J out of business ages ago. I don't want to see that happen to 2 very good and caring companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back