Bose TriPort headphone article in Sound & Vision
Sep 20, 2002 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
Anybody see the article on the Bose TriPort headphones in Sound and Vision magazine? The reviewer liked them but he didn't really mention what other headphones he has or what he compared them to.

pil_triport.jpg

Sep 20, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 12
I like Sound and Vision for the pictures, but I don't think they are very choosy when reviewing. They tend to go soft on the products they review. I'd put more stock in a Stereophile review.

*hates Bose*

Sep 21, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 12
I saw the S&V review. I won't begrudge Bose or be too shocked if they've ended up making a good pair of $150 headphones. I thought the Sound & Vision review was dreadful, it didn't describe how the headphones sounded, other than to say they had plentiful bass and were comfortable and had good isolation. You have no idea what the highs and mids sound like from that review. I hope there are some better reviews to come from other sources. There was a very favorabe and better written review discussed in this forum in an ealier thread.... you could search for it. The thread just sort of fizzled because of all of the anti-bose rhetoric.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 12
I also read the review.
The only thing I really got from it was that these isolate well.
The next time I'm at the local mall, I'll will have to stop in the Bose store to really check them out.

Sep 21, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 12
CC is now carrying these in their stores & on the web. They seem to be in those sealed plastic casings, which make returns potentially problematic. None on open display for tryouts in store either.

They have some pretty stiff competition at or below their $149 price point, namely from Beyer and Ultrasone, not to mention Sennheiser and Sony.

Sep 21, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 12
Yes, it was a totally worthless "review", like all the "reviews" in that mag. I subscribe mainly because it's like, what, $7 a year?

Actually, he does compare them-- to an unknown brand of "everyday earphones". Gee thanks, that helps.

"The bass thump... was was noticeably more present with the tri-port phones, and the rhythmic crescendos...seemed to shake my whole head".

In the end, he recos them for "cubicle dwelling Dilberts".

This may as well have been an ad for Bose. Totally useless.

markl

Sep 23, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 12
I tried these out in a Bose store in Seattle.
They seemed kind of plain sounding.
Similar sounding to some $30 Panasonic and Sony headphones I have.

Just blah.

Sep 23, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 12
I auditioned the Tripod in Bose store and thought that this is worst than I've thought. There are lots of muddiness in the bass region. The overall clarity is poor. Sony MDR-V6 beats it to the ground! Don't buy this phone ever, b/c they are too overpriced and only a tad better than the v600.

Purk

Sep 23, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
...this is worst than I've thought. There are lots of muddiness in the bass region. The overall clarity is poor... Don't buy this phone ever, b/c they are too overpriced and only a tad better than the v600.

Just by looking at those impressions, we've found a pair of $150 MSRP closed headphones that sound even worse than those notorious Sony MDR-V700DJ's!!
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

Sep 23, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Sony should send them a gift
tongue.gif

\

LOL!!! that is the funny quote of the week!

i thought bose was crap ever since i saw the commercials for their "wave" radios...

My question is:

why dont electronics stores sell the GOOD headphones??? they all seem to sell the worst available headphones Possible!!! it makes you think about appliance stores and tvs and all that sorta stuff...... i bet they have like a tv-fi.com and bash all the crappy tvs..

Sep 23, 2002 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 12
"why dont electronics stores sell the GOOD headphones?"

Hi-Fi shops sell good headphones. However, I'm assuming by "electronics stores" we're talking about Best Buy and Circuit City. Well, they don't stock very many good phones because of the clientèle. I guarantee you that 99% of the shoppers in Best Buy have never seen a Grado or a Beyer and wouldn't drop dollar one on a $90 phone from Grado because they have no brand recognition with the product.

However, because they know and "trust" the Sony name, they'll gladly plunk down the change for a V6.

Same thing with speakers and other audio equipment. Joe Sixpack wouldn't know that B&W makes great speakers or that Beyerdynamics is a respected headphone manufacturer. So, he blindly buys Yamaha speakers and Sony headphones.

"bet they have like a tv-fi.com and bash all the crappy tvs"

It's called avsforum.com.
tongue.gif
And they do bash the crappy TVs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back