Bose QuietComfort 20 discussion thread
Jan 22, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #136 of 163
  I recently got a pair of new QC20i headphones, primarily to use on long haul flights.  I didn't use them for a few months after the first day, but decided to give them a go on the bus to and from work, in place of the Jaybirds I usually use and am very happy with.

All seemed good until a few songs in I would get these popping sounds, some louder than others, and the loud ones were uncomfortable.  This is with my Galaxy S7 Edge.  I'm sure I tried it with my work iPhone at my desk and got the same noises.

I contacted support and after a few emails and a phone call they sent me an RMA and I returned them just before Xmas.

New ones came yesterday and all seemed good on the shorter trip in the morning, where the first ones had given me the problem.  I was pretty happy with that.

Then I got the noises again on the trip home yesterday, and again this morning.  I was a bit bummed as these are my saving grace for plane travel and my next one is mid next month.

Doing a google search brought me to this thread where I have seen it mentioned people have had issues on the bus, which seems wrong, as cars, buses, trains and planes are where these headphones should function best, which is why I thought there must be something wrong with my first set.

I also found it strange it didn't happen in the first two or three songs, so far in my testing.

I'm now wearing them at home just to see if I can get them to do it when I'm not moving again.

Anybody have a similar experience?

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #137 of 163
After going through 10+ pairs of headphones, I have very sensitive ears to treble harshness. Was thinking of a last ditch attempt to get these so I could play music at a lower volume to help with the harshness?

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #138 of 163
The treble is a bit rounded on these so would probably not bother you. The ANC is excellent with no sense of pressure.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #139 of 163
  I recently got a pair of new QC20i headphones, primarily to use on long haul flights.  I didn't use them for a few months after the first day, but decided to give them a go on the bus to and from work, in place of the Jaybirds I usually use and am very happy with.

All seemed good until a few songs in I would get these popping sounds, some louder than others, and the loud ones were uncomfortable.  This is with my Galaxy S7 Edge.  I'm sure I tried it with my work iPhone at my desk and got the same noises.

I contacted support and after a few emails and a phone call they sent me an RMA and I returned them just before Xmas.

New ones came yesterday and all seemed good on the shorter trip in the morning, where the first ones had given me the problem.  I was pretty happy with that.

Then I got the noises again on the trip home yesterday, and again this morning.  I was a bit bummed as these are my saving grace for plane travel and my next one is mid next month.

Doing a google search brought me to this thread where I have seen it mentioned people have had issues on the bus, which seems wrong, as cars, buses, trains and planes are where these headphones should function best, which is why I thought there must be something wrong with my first set.

I also found it strange it didn't happen in the first two or three songs, so far in my testing.

I'm now wearing them at home just to see if I can get them to do it when I'm not moving again.

I had the same issues with a pair I bought last year, fine in most situations but a random popping noise in the left earbud that only happened on the bus. I exchanged them for another pair, and had the same issue. I've had to give up on ANC earbuds for now and just use IEMs with good sound isolation. I have no idea what causes the noise, but it doesn't seem like it's a QC issue so I don't think it's fixable. 
frown.gif

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #140 of 163
Thanks for that. I only bought them for the plane where I needed a good wired set so I guess as long as they perform well there I'll be satisfied.

Strange how they can't handle the bus or maybe the train, they would be other places you would want to use these or their wireless brethren.

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #141 of 163
Latelly found the missing link with these earphones.
While buying some Comply tips for other earphones I discovered that the "Isolation T400" do work with these Bose QC20 and man is it an improvement? yes, yes, yes, even better isolation and way better sound. Highly recommended. The caveat are the "nails" in the QC tube but provided you are careful when puting the thing in the ears these will not bother...I had been wishing for such a solution for years as the ear pieces of these earphones are quite crappy in isolating the external noise.

my two cents...plane trips got even quieter and with better sound.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #142 of 163
Latelly found the missing link with these earphones.
While buying some Comply tips for other earphones I discovered that the "Isolation T400" do work with these Bose QC20

I tried sooooooo hard and I couldn't even get the larger-bore T500 onto the QC20. I'd love to know how on Earth you got the T400 onto the tube.

Quote:

a random popping noise in the left earbud that only happened on the bus.

I've seen people suspect that Bose uses particularly soft material for the QC20 drivers, and so when the bus rolls over the expansion joints on a bridge, the diaphragms would "buckle" under air pressure and cause the popping sound. I wonder if that's what you're hearing.

Bose also made the choice to focus the ANC on aircraft noise frequencies, so often it doesn't feel as effective as it should be on a bus or train/subway. The counterpoint I can offer is that that is still a superior experience to a number of Sony noise-cancelling products I've owned.

On most of Sony's ANC products, the ANC is split into 3 modes that are supposed to auto-switch under an "A.I." detection software, but that really doesn't work well at all. On the products I've owned like the in-ear EX750NA, I need to trigger re-detection constantly, by powering it off-then on again. On some older products there's a dedicated switch for this. If you're getting ANC built into a Sony Walkman or smartphone, you're in luck; they may provide a way to stay fixed in one of 3 modes, and the walkmans let you dial up/down the ANC strength.

The auto-detection is so lousy that every time the subway stops at a station, it may just trip over to a less effective mode and forget to switch back when the train departs again. The EX750NA itself is a bit of a lemon, but that's off-topic.

Which is to say, I really do plan to stick to Bose for my next ANC product. I've got much better karma with Bose even when there are quality or durability concerns.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #144 of 163
Well not difficult at all with the T400 "isolation" model. Sure bit by bit with small twist movements but did not even need any lube. Works great.

I've attempted that a few times over the years and either the Comply tip's inner tubing gets in the way, or there's no proper seal between any of the parties involved, and the resulting combo doesn't sit well in my ears. Although that may also be because Complys have never worked out for my ears through at least a dozen attempts and hundreds of bucks essentially wasted.

Thanks for the pic. I might have to go big and get the QC35s next anyway, because my ear canals are increasingly intolerant of getting stuffed, even the QC20 tips that ought to be comfy and low-pressure.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #145 of 163
I'm planning to get a pair of these basically for travelling (flights) and maybe to be used at the office.

I read here in this topic that these headphones digitize the input signal and then convert it to analog again. So an AMP/DAC combo is useless for these headphones with NC activated, right?

But what about when they are off (without NC), can you get some benefit from an amp/dac combo with these headphones? (Obviously at the office, since the ANC would be off). (I understand that ANC functions tends to affect sound quality in general in the headphones, correct me if I'm wrong).
Regarding my amp/dac I have a Schiit Fulla 2 at the moment. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #147 of 163
Ok, Thanks! I'll give them a try with my dac/amp when is off and see how bad is vs when its ON.
But anyway I still need them because I'm flying every week, I'll use them basically to sleep, probably without playing music. Secondarily I'll use them to listen music at the office sometimes. 

I've just ordered a pair from Amazon. I went for the white ones because they were cheaper. Android+Black version is 300€ in Spain. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #148 of 163
I also have the white one but I like it more than the black. I only use it when I fly. Its NC is very effective and the SQ is still ok. For other occasions I use a K3003 with the Mojo which is another world but on the plain the QC20 is unbeateble imo. Recently flow to Japan from EU and it was permanently in my ears without any problem or discomfort. Good luck with yours!

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #150 of 163
I also have the white one but I like it more than the black. I only use it when I fly. Its NC is very effective and the SQ is still ok. For other occasions I use a K3003 with the Mojo which is another world but on the plain the QC20 is unbeateble imo. Recently flow to Japan from EU and it was permanently in my ears without any problem or discomfort. Good luck with yours!

Already got an "Evolution Pillow" and one "Sleep Mask" this month. So the NC headphones are the only thing I'm lacking to be some kind of sleeping freak at the plane. 

If I like the Bose, I'm planning to try these earbuds, as someone (@peabreu) recommended them here:
http://www.complyfoam.com/products/t-400/

or the tx version. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back