Bose QuietComfort 20 discussion thread
Sep 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 163

ricthaman

500+ Head-Fier
I couldn't find any thread dedicated to these new bose NC IEM's, so I thought I'd create one as I think they deserve one.

I just have them for a week, so I have no deep insights yet. However, in another thread I already give a small impression.
I will quote myself:

''Well, I got them yesterday. I haven't gotten around to testing them very well, but some minor impressions are that the NC is indeed very good. They really do cancell the world out entirely. However, in quiet rooms with just one person talking (and no music on) you can hear people talk in a high pitched manner. The airconditioning was completely blocked out (as every other external noise), even without music on.

On the one hand, I've found the aware mode to be a bit unimpressive. I've hoped the algorithm would 'blend' the volume of the outer sound (person talking) in a volume matched manner with the music you're listening to. That doesn't seem to happen though. If I have my music on loud, I can't hear people speak with aware mode engaged. I'd had to turn my volume down to actually hear what they're saying.

On the soundquality; they're great. Like I stated earlier, the're sure as hell not gonna beat my 4R's, and they really don't. They're a universe or three apart. However, having said that, I do really enjoy the sound of the bose. I sure do miss some clarity and detail, and don't get me started on the highs or seperation, but the overall warm and lush sound is very engaging. Sometimes I wished for some extra treble or upper mid, but its'sound is thouroughly enjoyable. Combined with the NC and the awesome comfort (which is a big plus) these are a good deal imho.

I will listen more and will report back. If you have any specific questions, please let me know and I will see if I can answer...

Ohh yeah, and haters gonna hate. So that's that.''

Please elaborate on your experiences with these phones and share, comment and enjoy in this thread.

Regards,

Ric

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 163
Thanks Ric, I was going to do this but haven't had time.

I have been using these every day since I got my pair and am amazed at their comfort and isolation. Sound wise they are a "good IEM" versus a great IEM. But since I have a great sounding IEM or two that are only average to good for comfort and isolation I think it's a fair trade :).

the only challenge I have with these is wind messing with the NC but even that is no worse than my other IEM's that don't have bone conduction/microphonics issues. Plus I know I will be able to use ear socks in the winter to keep my ears warm as well as reduce the wind noise.

Sound quality wise I would put these at about a $100 main stream IEM level.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 163
Thanks Ric, I was going to do this but haven't had time.

I have been using these every day since I got my pair and am amazed at their comfort and isolation. Sound wise they are a "good IEM" versus a great IEM. But since I have a great sounding IEM or two that are only average to good for comfort and isolation I think it's a fair trade
smily_headphones1.gif

the only challenge I have with these is wind messing with the NC but even that is no worse than my other IEM's that don't have bone conduction/microphonics issues. Plus I know I will be able to use ear socks in the winter to keep my ears warm as well as reduce the wind noise.

Sound quality wise I would put these at about a $100 main stream IEM level.

For IEMs under $500, sounds like u still prefer the most:
UE900 for SQ
QC20 for comfort, isolation and portability
?

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 163
Aware Mode is such a neat feature! Question is, sounds like Aware Mode is not really that convincing, just that they lower the Active Noise Cancellation to 25% maybe and you still can't really hear precisely the outside ambience, like you normally do with normal IEMs with silicon tips in your ears. Would hope that Aware Mode is a feature that turns your IEM into essentially an earbud/bone-conduction headphone with minimal sound leakage yet still be able to hear what your friends are talking to you about so you don't have to take them off everytime someone talks to you. High hopes I know, but that's what the high price of paying for this type of IEMs is for isn't it? 

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 163
Another question is, can you sleep sideways on the bed with them in your ears? They don't protrude out of your ears much? Since offering quietness is their main selling point, I think it's essential to find if it's worthy as a travel warrior that offers the ultimate portable experience. I'm on a quest to find such a travel warrior in regards to portability, comfort, isolation, and sound quality. Nothing's perfect but still.. we can only keep searching and hoping 
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 163
I sleep with mine and occasionally lay on my side and am not to bothered by them.

They have the best comfort and "silence" of any earphone I have owned. Notice I said silence mot just isolation. It is hard to explain it any better than that and I recommend you try a pair at a Bose store to see what I mean.

Sound wise my UE900 is definitely richer and more detailed as is my new Sony XBA-H1. The QC20 sacrifices that higher definition sound in it's design. But for me the compromise is worth what the QC20 offers.

Awareness mode allows outside noise in quite well. I often hit the mute button in conjunction with awareness to talk to people and can comfortably converse.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 163
I sleep with mine and occasionally lay on my side and am not to bothered by them.

They have the best comfort and "silence" of any earphone I have owned. Notice I said silence mot just isolation. It is hard to explain it any better than that and I recommend you try a pair at a Bose store to see what I mean.

Sound wise my UE900 is definitely richer and more detailed as is my new Sony XBA-H1. The QC20 sacrifices that higher definition sound in it's design. But for me the compromise is worth what the QC20 offers.

Awareness mode allows outside noise in quite well. I often hit the mute button in conjunction with awareness to talk to people and can comfortably converse.

Sounds good indeed! Hopefully they'll be discounted by Christmas. Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #8 of 163
Check out the HifiMan RE-600 for better sound quality than the UE900 and comfort for sleeping on the side.  I've had the UE900 for almost a year now, and then I stumbled upon the RE-600.  Ping me offline if you want more information.  I don't want to muddy this thread.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 163
The QC20 is a smoother sound with better midrange and more neutral bass. MUCH better comfort and isolation. The only thing missing on the QC20 is some treble extension and finer detail (when compared to higher end products) which is due to the nature of active noise cancelling. I only notice this in quieter environments though at which point I use one of my higher end IEM's or headphones.

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 163
I really love the QC20. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/travelers-sanctuary-bose-quiet-comfort-20-noise-canceling-earphone

Jude was actually the first one to turn me on to these. He went on and on about how good he thought they were when we were in Belgium at Philips together. After hearing them, I found myself just as excited as he seemed. 

I hope these get more love here on Head-Fi, they deserve it.  Best sound quality I've heard from a noise canceler....well, except maybe for the Polk Ultrafocus, but it doesn't cancel noise very well at all.

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 163
I have been using mine for almost 2 months now and on several trips involving flights. These are the new gold standard for NC phones. The convenience and sound are worth the price. Seriously, Bose headphones don't deserve the knee jerk Bose hate.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 163
Yup and yup to the last 2 posts :)

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 163
Great review BTW Tyll :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back