Bose QuietComfort 20 discussion thread
Nov 29, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #16 of 163
My QC20 is just under testing and it looks like doing slightly better the noise cancellation than my QC15 especially with speaking in the background. However, the white noise is significantly much higher than in the QC15. The hissing noise is audible and disturbing in quiet environment. Maybe my headphone is defected already? Are you experiencing the strong white noise as well? I can hear it only if no music is played but it's an issue because I want to use it for sleeping in not too noisy environment. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #17 of 163
I only hear it in quiet environments with no music playing. Fortunately (unfortunately) I have a CPAP machine running at night so any break from that sound is greatly appreciated LOL.

My AKG K545 have supplanted the QC20 at work and ococcasionally on the bus or walking the dog but the QC20 still amazes me and get lots of use.

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #18 of 163
It looks like in that case the not only my QC20 has the significant white noise. Interesting that Bose did not keep it down like in the previous models. Anyway thanks for your reply.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #20 of 163
This is good news. It means not all is affected by the issue. I was reading now little bit more reviews and looks like only the minority has a properly working one. I think I'll ask for a refund and buy it later hoping that Bose will work on this issue. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #21 of 163
I'd say that there is  small amount of noise and different people are experiencing differently. One of the striking thing in my measurements is that the matching between both side was VERY good, and I'd be surprised if their manufacturing quality is poor. It's seems more likely the case to me that some people are just more sensitive and/or are focusing in on it too much once it's heard. 

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #22 of 163
I have a great sounding IEM or two that are only average to good for comfort and isolation I think it's a fair trade
smily_headphones1.gif
hDDnd7

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #23 of 163
Im about to pull the trigger on them. Im gonna fly home on Thursday and therefore im considering on getting them at the airport.
Here a couple of questions:
1) do they come fully charged out of their package? It would be quite frustrating to buy them and not being able to use them, specially in such a long flight! ( Stuttgart, Germany - Cali, Colombia, plus all the changes!)
2) would these be cheaper if bought in the duty free area of the airport? Consider that here in Germany they are 299€ on retail, and 245€ on Amazon. Even the retail price of 299 dollars would save me money, costing then an equivalent of 220€.

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #24 of 163
These need 8 hours of charging according to the manual.

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #25 of 163
I have had two pairs - had to warranty replace one after breaking off an earpiece tab - and both came charged although I don't know to what level. You could always bring a portable USB charger like:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ultra-Compact-Lipstick-Sized-Smartphones-USB-charged/dp/B005NF5NTK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1385990695&sr=8-8&keywords=anker

or

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Compact-Portable-Sensation-ThunderBolt-Blackberry/dp/B00CTK762E/ref=sr_1_23?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1385990993&sr=1-23

They would be useful for more than what you may need for the earphone. I carry both of these in my bag. It's a piece of mind thing. I also carry this one on longer trips:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TCUPIC/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #26 of 163
  I'd say that there is  small amount of noise and different people are experiencing differently. One of the striking thing in my measurements is that the matching between both side was VERY good, and I'd be surprised if their manufacturing quality is poor. It's seems more likely the case to me that some people are just more sensitive and/or are focusing in on it too much once it's heard. 

It may also be due to me being in my 50s. Perhaps my upper register hearing isn't as a cute as it once was.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #27 of 163
1) do they come fully charged out of their package? It would be quite frustrating to buy them and not being able to use them, specially in such a long flight! ( Stuttgart, Germany - Cali, Colombia, plus all the changes!)

Check your airline for your long distance flight, most now offer USB charging on the seat. The last airline I took (Cathay Pacific) has this feature and I charged up the phone while listening to some tunes in airplane mode. When I hopped of the plane, the phone was at 100% capacity.

Steve

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #28 of 163
Check your airline for your long distance flight, most now offer USB charging on the seat. The last airline I took (Cathay Pacific) has this feature and I charged up the phone while listening to some tunes in airplane mode. When I hopped of the plane, the phone was at 100% capacity.

Steve

That should do the trick. However, I went to the Bose store to try them on for a further test. To my surprise, I noticed that I could plug in my payer, sooo I stayed until they closed the shop. The result? Im not getting them: the isolation is unbelievable, but the quality of the sound just doesn't cut it. Maybe I just happen to be one of those guys who doesn't like Bose's signature. At some point ill upgrade from my ultrasone hfi 580, but only of it means an upgrade in sound quality, independent of isolation.

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #29 of 163
Glad you were able to try them before buying. Signature preference definitely trumps most things. I have always enjoyed the Bose sound to a degree. I still have better audio quality IEM's and headphones but the QC20 has good enough quality and a signature I don't mind so work well for me for transit use or when I need isolation.

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #30 of 163
... but the QC20 has good enough quality and a signature I don't mind so work well for me for transit use or when I need isolation.

Do you feel any sound back pressure from the NC circuit when wearing as IEM? When I tried on the QC15, the ears felt a little bit of over pressurized sound (white noise), it disappeared when dis-engaging the the NC circuit.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back