Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Oct 10, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #541 of 1,152
I'm actually somewhat disappointed by the performance of the QC35s on the plane.

I can still hear people chatting away.

I may be bringing back the set and try out the Sonys MDR-1000xs

Regarding the sound quality it's flat but acceptable.

My beef is the lack of filtering of voices.

Exactly my problem with the QC35s amongst others, which is why I returned them.  They're not $350 exciting to me.  The P7s have been working better simple because they sound much better and are good enough passively that at decent volume for music or shows, I can't hear anyone else or the plane.

but I am going to try the 1000Xs which just shipped from crutchfield to me here in the US

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #542 of 1,152
I'm thinking of getting these... but I need quick help in deciding!
Got three headphones in mind, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless with XL pads, Momentum Wireless, and QC35.
Comfort is the main priority for me, I want to be able to sleep with them on. A good decent bass is second. Which should I go for?

I have owned Momentum 1 before, they sounded good, but couldn't wear them for long periods of time. Had Beyer DT770s too which were probably the most comfortable and well built ones I've heard, but they're not wireless.

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #543 of 1,152
Got three headphones in mind, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless with XL pads, Momentum Wireless, and QC35.
Comfort is the main priority for me, I want to be able to sleep with them on. A good decent bass is second. Which should I go for?

I have owned Momentum 1 before, they sounded good, but couldn't wear them for long periods of time. Had Beyer DT770s too which were probably the most comfortable and well built ones I've heard, but they're not wireless.

I can't say for the others, but the QC35s are fantastically comfortable.  I have a pretty big head (think max size on most hats) and the QC35s were great - I did return them ultimately, but if I judging on just comfort I can't see how anything is going to be MORE comfortable than the QC35s.

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #544 of 1,152

I can't say for the others, but the QC35s are fantastically comfortable.  I have a pretty big head (think max size on most hats) and the QC35s were great - I did return them ultimately, but if I judging on just comfort I can't see how anything is going to be MORE comfortable than the QC35s.

+1

Although I don't own the QC35, I do own several other around-ear Bose headphones.  They have ALWAYS been the most comfortable headphones in my collection.

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #545 of 1,152
When has ANC ever eliminated voices?

I don't remember a single model that can.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #547 of 1,152
When has ANC ever eliminated voices?

I don't remember a single model that can.

The 20i lower human voices more than the QC35, but yes I have not tried any ANC headphones that can eliminate human voices completely. (with no music playing)

Paul

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #548 of 1,152
  Sony's new 1000x has a voice ANC mode, tested it myself in the middle of a crowded store and it works well. 

Unless I"m not understanding, I think the Sony's voice ANC mode isn't to BLOCK voices,  but rather it's the hear them ... in other words the default ANC mode blocks voices (as much as it can), and Sony voice mode (ambient) allows the voices in.

And I agree with Roen, I don't know of an ANC that has ever blocked voices, which is why I don't value ANC that much and why I returned the QC35s; background white noise is fine with me as long as I can turn up my source ...

... but variable noises like voices, and high pitched noises like glasses / silverware or babies crying, that's what intrudes into whatever I"m listening to and the Bose don't do much if anything to block them.

If I'm understanding these charts, basically they saying that after 1000 Hz there's little difference between the P7 wired without ANC and the QC35s with ANC, with human voices happening somewhere around that up peak in the QC35 curve where the difference closes to about 20dB.  For me, it's the voices and higher stuff that is bothersome:

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #549 of 1,152
The 20i lower human voices more than the QC35, but yes I have not tried any ANC headphones that can eliminate human voices completely. (with no music playing)

Paul
Having owned all three 20, 25, 35, I must disagree.

35 is better than 25 is better than 20 for blocking voices, IMO.

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #550 of 1,152

I have crossfade wired w/ XL pads and auditioned the wireless. The QC35s are more comfortable, though with the XL pads the Crossfades aren't bad. The default pads are uncomfortable. Bass is better on the Crossfades (no surprise, that's v-moda's thing). You cannot sleep with either on, I don't think, unless you stay on your back only. They both protrude on the sides. I'd go QC20/30 for sleeping.

I will say that the Crossfade Wireless I auditioned had a bad bluetooth stack, no other way to put it. Ton of hiss, pairing was a little iffy, volume control didn't work right with OS X, bunch of problems my other BT headphones haven't had, so I returned them.

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #551 of 1,152
Picked up a pair of qc35's a few days ago and so far am pretty impressed. Not amazing of course but very decent audio that is more than good enough for my ears. The wireless ANC is the big win on these for me.

I've been putting these through their paces and have been really impressed so far. I think I found their limit today trying to play 'around the world' by Daft Punk. This is pretty brutal on speakers/headphones and it sounded god awful through the qc35's. I had to turn it way down. Could anyone else verify that I don't have a defective pair? If you don't have it locally iTunes has a sample

I'm on an iPhone 7 plus with eq set to flat. Thanks!!

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #552 of 1,152
I recently purchased the QC35. And I love them. 

I own a pair of Oppo PM3s and they sound superb. It is one of the highly rated headphones and I enjoy them so much. Unfortunately, when I use them on planes or in noisy environment with engine rumbling (like in cars), the bass is affected so much that it becomes thin and loses quantity. It is like listening to a music with no bass. The mid range and treble is not that affected though. So I bought a FIIO amp to amplify the bass when I am outside. This helped but not totally. The bass is still affected. And the added discomfort of carrying another gadget with wires is just unbearable for me. Also, the clamping force and the weight of the Oppos made listening only to a couple of hours max before feeling hurt in my ears. What good is a good sounding headphone if you can't listen to them because your ears hurt. And the QC 35 answered all of them.

Comfort - judging from the name itself (Quietcomfort), they do deliver in this category. I can wear them in my 16hr flight without removing them. It is that comfortable. My ears do not touch the inside of the cans as the inside design is tilted to offer more room for your ears. And these are light headphones which add to the comfort. Plus it is wireless! (no wire hassles)

Sound Quality - They may not be as good as my Oppos but they are decent sounding. I would say about 80% of the Oppos. The bass is tight and the quantity for me is just right. It does not overpower the midrange and treble. With ANC, it shuts the engine noise to almost zero thus providing me a better listening experience than my Oppos.

Bluetooth - I like the fact that it can connect 2 devices at a time. I have an Iphone 6 plus and a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge and they are both connected to the QC35 simultaneously. When I am listening music in my S7 edge and somebody called in my Iphone 6 plus, it stops the music and place the call. Cool right? And it tells you who is calling so I do not need to pull out my phones in my pocket to do that as there are buttons in the QC 35s to answer and reject calls, increase and decrease volume, and skip songs. I was a little disappointed upon knowing that the QC35s do not support Aptx. But instead support AAC. I read reviews that APTX is just a myth so I tested them myself. I made an A/B comparison from my Iphone 6 plus (supports AAC) and Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (non-AAC) playing the same FLAC songs. I also tried playing youtube music videos in the Highest Resolution. What I found out is this, no matter how hard I listen to, I did not discern any difference in sound quality. Maybe my ears are not trained to do that. What I do notice is this. In the Iphone, when you control the volume buttons in the QC35s, the volume in the iphone changes along with the QC35. In the S7 edge, you can independently change the volume of the QC35 and the S7 edge. But as what Innerfidelity has said, just leave the S7 edge volume one notch lower from max and control volume from the QC35 because if you lower the volume from the S7, the bass quantity changes. The bass becomes less prominent in lower volumes as to compared when you follow innerfidelity's advice. This is so true in my experience.

Overall, I really enjoyed my QC35s and I bring them wherever I go. For pure music listening at home, I still have my Oppos to do that. But in noisy environment listening, QC35 is still king for me.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #553 of 1,152
I have had my QC35s for just over a fortnight, and they have been a lifesaver. There are very noisy builders in the house next door (I live in a semi) with loud radios, hammers, drills etc. and it was pretty unpleasant to be at home, I bought the headphones as a punt, not really expecting them to work, but they are amazing. Virtually all the noise is gone, and if I don't have any music playing, I sometimes hear a light tapping noise, only to take the headphones off to hear what sounds like someone trying to hammer my wall down!
The ultimate sound quality wasn't what I bought these for, but I must say they sound really good. I think that the backdrop of quietness really helps in this regard.

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #554 of 1,152
Gentlemen,

I read already the whole internet- at least twice- searching for an information if ACN is able to significantly reduce screams of children. If yes which headphones makes better job: QC35 or MDR-1000X? I write at home quite often some papers but since the birth of our children the silence moved out from our house, what makes from my work a nightmare. I tried already to seal the inner door in our flat. It did not help too much. I try to drown out the children’s screams using SteelSeries Siberia V2 headphones playing white noise. Unfortunately to succeed I have to play the music to loud, that I do not hear my thoughts anymore…

I’ve never used ACN headphones but it looks as an alternative for getting crazy. I’d be grateful for your feedback, how good such a system is in muting children’s screams and human voices.

Greetings Dawid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back