Bose QC35 vs. Bowers & Wilkins P7 (wireless!)
Jul 22, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #61 of 64
Hello there

I have a question to those owning both, the P7 wireless and the Bose QC35:
After listening to the P7w in a store I ordered them online. When listening at home I immediately encountered some background noise/hiss when they are connected over bluetooth. I know with bluetooth this hiss is inevitable but since I didn't notice it in the store and haven't read about it in reviews, I was surprised it is that "loud" (not really very loud but well hearable when listening to calm piano pieces/soundtrack or podcasts).
I have a colleague which owns the QC35 and I would say the hiss of the P7w is about 4-5 times louder than the one of the QC35 (which is really really quiet). Could somebody who listened to both tell me if this is normal for the P7w?
From different sources online I only found that the hiss is loud or quiet but no "measurement" which is why I'm asking like this.
I've read a faulty bluetooth chip could lead to louder hiss and since I'm also having problems with connectivity (losing connection, headphones not being found by sources, headphones not connecting automatically to main device...) I thought there could be a problem with the chip.
I listened to P7's and QC35's in the store. I heard some hiss in the P7's, not much, but the QC35's had a very faint hiss, much less that the P7's. I ended up with the QC35's and am very pleased. The bass is very good as one can make out every note, it's not boomy, the mids are not recessed and the treble is not tizzy. Finally, Bose got the sound right. And for me the ANC is super, I use these when I commute on a noisy bus.
I tried the QC30 IEM's for a few days and returned them, they sucked.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #62 of 64
I travel on the London Underground, it's a hell of a noisy way to travel and I'm curious to know how better could things sound? I used to own the B&W P5 (wireless) for a fortnight.. as much as they sound really incredible they didn't passively block out the sounds as well as I wish they could.

The P7s are much better in this respect.. the sound is immense but I can still hear the rattle of the underground train and the muffled sound of people and the service announcements from the train speakers.... if this is the best it's going to get then I'll happily stick with it. ... but that natural curiosity of wanting better and more is there.

This ^^^ I love the sound of my P7Ws but they do seem to let in a lot of noise in. It really hit me on on a recent flight when the plane noise was very very noticeable and now even on my commute I am noticing the train more and more.

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #63 of 64
This ^^^ I love the sound of my P7Ws but they do seem to let in a lot of noise in. It really hit me on on a recent flight when the plane noise was very very noticeable and now even on my commute I am noticing the train more and more.
I have owned a lot of headphones and am an avid listener of music. I actually have gone through the same process as a lot of people. I can't stand Bose SQ and their ANC makes me ill. I have also had Sennheiser Momentums and find the sound very coloured. I have finally come to a compromise. I use the B&W P7W at home to watch TV and listen to some music around the house if I'm doing stuff and I use the Sony 1000X for commuting on the train as it blocks out more noise, but the SQ is not as good as P7W. I find the Sony ANC does not affect me as much as the Bose, plus the SQ is better to my ears. I find it better to ANC whilst travelling, but it's tough to find good ANC and decent SQ.

May 24, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #64 of 64
Does anyone know you can attach an external microphone to the P7Ws 2.5mm jack?
I'm asking because usually the built-in headphone mics are not good for calls in loud environments. I saw that for the QC35 there is a ClearMic noise-cancelling external mic that can be purchased additionally. Based on what I've read about sound quality, I prefer to buy P7Ws, but I really need good noise cancelling on the mic in noisy environments, so that others can predominantly hear me and not the background noise. Currently I use Plantronics CM310 headset for calls, and the mic does a really good job at eliminating bg noise while I speak. For music i need to carry another pair of headphones, and it can get messy with the cables etc. It would be perfect to have it all in one wireless/bluetooth headphones like P7Ws.
Often I wear both headphones and plantronics headset, and just change in/out devices since the Plantronics headset has only 1 ear piece. It looks silly but it does the job, although it's again messy to connect and disconnect if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back