Bose QC15: Worth it????
Jul 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Metal4life22

New Head-Fier
This may sound like Blasphemy to alot of people here, because Grado, Sennheiser, Shure, AKG, Audio Technica, etc. are much more popular around here, but they might work for me.

I love that they're so comfortable. They sound pretty good from the demos, and they're very portable.

However, there are two problems that I'm worried about:

-Is the battery life LONG enough?

-Will the bass be somewhat decent? I don't need really heavy bass, but at least there, somewhat. 

-Clarity.

I listen to Metal mainly, but rap / jazz / classical

Also, I tend to use EQ on my iPod as well.

Are these worth it for what I want? 

Thanks!!

Jul 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 22
You're not going to get a great response abut the Bose set here, namely because they have a reputation for getting a sound that is sub-par for the price.

That said, most of the round-up's Ive read of the Bose compared to other active noise cancelling sets (particularly vs Sony's and Audio Technica's) is that the actual noise cancelling system on the Bose is very good. If that's most important to you and you're happy to spend the money that is great - just keep in mind that from a subjective standpoint you won't be getting best in class sound quality. That's no reason not to enjoy it if you do like what you've heard and you like the comfort.

The other suggestion is to get a nice pair of in-ears that will have good passive noise cancelling, though that depends on if you are comfortable with in-ears.

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 22
The Bose is a great travel phone, at 35,000ft and 20 feet from a screaming jet engine thy are worth the money. At home in your living room you don't need NC and you can buy far better sound for way less money. Unless there are a lot of airplanes in your future spend your money elsewhere. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 22
Well, I commute via train alot, and I will be flying pretty soon. I just want a comfortable pair of NC headphones that have great sound quality, and aren't TOO bulky with great clarity. Any recommendations? I've looked at so many, and it's driving me nuts.

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 22
Also, I prefer over-the-ear headphones. I've been looking at the Studio Beats as well, and the quality on those seem alot better, however I'd like to know if anyone here knows how good the battery life on the QC15 and Studio Beats are. 

Thanks!

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 22
Save yourself some money and get a pair of Etymotic HF5s. They block about twice as much noise as any ANC headphone (I'm not joking. I have tried them side by side with the QC15), and they are very comfortable with foamies (especially Complys or Shure Olives). And to top it all off, the included carrying case will fit in your pocket (far from bulky).

Don't even consider Bose or Beats. Horrible sound quality and build quality for the $$. True, they do some things right, but it's not enough to justify their inflated price tag.

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 22
I don't like earbuds. I've seen those before, and they do look nice, but the Klipsch X10is seem alot better. 

Price isn't an option, by the way.

Basically, what I'm asking is does the Bose have decent bass, and is the battery life long enough? 

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 22
The Etymotic are not earbuds.  They are in-ear monitors, or "IEMs".

You will give up sound quality with active noise cancellation, and it only works well for constant noise.  Passive noise cancellation - as in IEMs - has neither of those disadvantages.

The Bose are known for very overemphasized, muddy bass and poor mids and highs (and measure so).  In this respect, headphones like the Sennheiser PXC-450 will be far superior - and cost less, and be built better - while giving up a little noise canceling performance.

As you know, you will find few fans of either the Bose or the Beats here as a reasonably-valued purchase.  There's better to be had for less.

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 22
Good to know. 

Well, it's been really tough for me to find a pair of over-ear headphones that I really enjoy, and I'm going on a trip soon, so I need to get them fast.

What I'm looking for is a pair of headphones that are:
-Comfortable
-Great quality / good bass
-Over-ear
-One sided cable (preferably detachable, and not too long)
-Somewhat good looking 

any ideas?

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 22
I will recommend QC15 too(based on OP choice)because it's shows surprisengly good details in music with tight bass(not too bassy) and NC is very good on it (the battery life stated to be good enough).

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Good to know. 

Well, it's been really tough for me to find a pair of over-ear headphones that I really enjoy, and I'm going on a trip soon, so I need to get them fast.

What I'm looking for is a pair of headphones that are:
-Comfortable
-Great quality / good bass
-Over-ear
-One sided cable (preferably detachable, and not too long)
-Somewhat good looking 

any ideas?

Go with the Bose, for your purpose you won't be disappointed.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #15 of 22
Let me be truthful with you. If you are looking for a bass heavy headset, Bose is the way to go. Bose follows the mainstream customers, and many main stream customers look for bass heavy with a descent sprinkle of mids. That good amount of mids basically throws Bose into the "good and excellent" market... Well I'm not falling for it. Noise cancelling: Great (not CRAZY good but it works like a pair of IEMs). Lows: Muddy and too bold. Mids: Drowned out by Noise cancelling. Highs: Tinny at times. So its up to you. I enjoy Noise cancelling with the benefit of comfort. But noise cancelling at the loss of sound quality is a whole different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back