Bose QC15 vs ATH-m50
Jul 6, 2012 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jfarrell665

New Head-Fier
First of all, I'm new to high quality headpones and recently bought the Audio Technica ATH-M50 as my first pair based on the high reviews I've seen. I REALLY enjoyed the sound quality on these headphones but experienced one really bad problem...comfort. They start hurting my head within minutes of listening to the point I could no longer enjoy the music.

I've tried the Bose qc15's before and was really impressed with how comfortable they were. I know there are probably a lot of better headphones out there that are less popular than the qc15's but all I'm asking here is if I switch over will I be disappointed in a decrease in sound quality...especially with the price increase. My main music genre is alternative/rock but I'll occasionally listen to things like hip-hop too. Do the Bose have enough clarity in the treble/mids and bass to accommodate my needs?

I'd prefer to not hear a bunch of other recommendations for other headphones in this case but any replies are greatly appreciated.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 8
The m50's do have decent clamping force. Have you tried headband stretching overnight? That helped me a lot with the m50's

I havent tried the q15's so can't say much about the comparison

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 8
The QCs are more grainy with a prominent v-shaped sound sig. The sound quality on the M50s is a step above the Bose, but with time I'm sure you can grow to appreciate their sound if the comfort issue bothers you that much.

If you have the chance to have a more extended audition them them, only you can decide if they are the right headphones for you.

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Maybe a good way to phrase my question would be if I get the Bose will I be thinking about the sound quality bothering me as much as the comfort of the Audio Technicas are bothering me right now?

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Maybe a good way to phrase my question would be if I get the Bose will I be thinking about the sound quality bothering me as much as the comfort of the Audio Technicas are bothering me right now?

I haven't heard the M50, but the QC15 are fairly enjoyable sounding. Not harsh or sibilant, not really a v-curve imho; bass is boosted up but extended, and controlled for the most part. They do eat batteries though. Comfort wise, they aren't bad at all; wearing them for hours on-end is not a huge problem. They're good for a sealed headphone; but somewhat emotion-less overall.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 8
From my own experience, the QC15 has less of a soundstage, yet for some reason there seems to be a distance from the music to my ears; it's like I'm listening to speakers a meter away yet they focus music on me like a sonicboom. It really sounds like the QC15s are trying to focus on the quality and the punching bass, but it just didn't perform. The ATH-M50s feels to have a more natural surround sound and good soundstage, while really focusing on a punchy bass that is present when it should be. It should be noted that the QC15s I have tested were on display, so the amp and everything is different from my onboard sound card connection with the ATH-M50s.

Jul 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 8
The QC15s have angled drivers, which would explain some of the soundstage questions. I'd agree that their staging isn't perfect, and with the "trying to be like speakers" assessment. They aren't the best thing ever, but as far as sealed headphones go, they're probably one of the best. That isn't to say there aren't closed or open headphones that will outperform them to some extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back