Bose QC 15 vs 25 vs 35
Aug 16, 2016 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

smy1

Headphoneus Supremus
I was thinking about buying a used pair of QC 15 because they seem to be the cheapest. I was wondering overall what the difference between those models are.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 9
I owned the QC15 for years and only auditioned the QC25 and QC35, so I don't know the newer models very well, but basically, they have a more accurate sound and better build quality. I think I prefer the QC15 overall because Bose isn't going to get you real audiophile sound quality anyway, so in that category, I might as well go for a more colored, fun sound. I enjoyed the heck out of it when I owned it, and still prefer its sound over plenty of headphones. The weird thing is, although the bass and treble are boosted, the mids are still engaging. The main disadvantage is that you have to use a AAA battery to even listen to it, whereas the newer models have a passive option. The stock cable is also awful. In addition to being fragile, it sounds really bad compared to a normal headphone cable thanks to all the electronics in the cable interfering with the sound. I think that's the main reason this headphone has a bad reputation: people just haven't heard what it's really capable of. The QC15 is by far the better deal. If you're lucky, you can get a used one on eBay for under $100. (I paid $300 for mine.)

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 9
I owned the QC15 for years and only auditioned the QC25 and QC35, so I don't know the newer models very well, but basically, they have a more accurate sound and better build quality. I think I prefer the QC15 overall because Bose isn't going to get you real audiophile sound quality anyway, so in that category, I might as well go for a more colored, fun sound. I enjoyed the heck out of it when I owned it, and still prefer its sound over plenty of headphones. The weird thing is, although the bass and treble are boosted, the mids are still engaging. The main disadvantage is that you have to use a AAA battery to even listen to it, whereas the newer models have a passive option. The stock cable is also awful. In addition to being fragile, it sounds really bad compared to a normal headphone cable thanks to all the electronics in the cable interfering with the sound. I think that's the main reason this headphone has a bad reputation: people just haven't heard what it's really capable of. The QC15 is by far the better deal. If you're lucky, you can get a used one on eBay for under $100. (I paid $300 for mine.)

Thanks I found a used qc15 for $85. Still waiting for a picture he said its in good condition but show some usage.

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks I found a used qc15 for $85. Still waiting for a picture he said its in good condition but show some usage.

Just remember to get some rechargeable AAA batteries and a charger. Otherwise you'd have to spend way too much on batteries. I also noticed that its sound quality drops off as the battery depletes, so I would charge often.

If you want to use a conventional headphone cable to get better sound, you'll need to wrap something like toilet paper around the connector shell to keep it in place. It also reverses the channels due to the active circuitry of the headphones.

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 9
Just remember to get some rechargeable AAA batteries and a charger. Otherwise you'd have to spend way too much on batteries. I also noticed that its sound quality drops off as the battery depletes, so I would charge often.

If you want to use a conventional headphone cable to get better sound, you'll need to wrap something like toilet paper around the connector shell to keep it in place. It also reverses the channels due to the active circuitry of the headphones.

Still tempted if I should buy the qc15 or spend it on some other iems :/.

I have the Bose soundtrue and they sound ok.... But not worth the price.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 9
Bose is never worth the price. My $15 Koss KTXPRO1 is better than any Bose...but the QC15 is still pretty enjoyable.

True, I just really like the anc.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 9
FYI, the QC15's active noise canceling has a strange pressurized sensation. I heard the newer models have better ANC and don't have so much of that pressure. Wasn't able to test that when I auditioned them briefly.

Thanks. I prob buy something else then and save up some money and get the 35 if I really need the anc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back