Bose over ear vs. Sennheiser HD
Mar 31, 2009 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

derek800

500+ Head-Fier
I am probably going to be getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 212's this week. Now I know some people say they have a lot of bass, but I like bass and listen to mostly rock/hard rock and they are right at the price I want to spend for headphones. I have a friend that has a pair of bose over ear headphones which cost almost 3 times as much as the Senn's but they do have decent bass. I am wondering if anyone has heard both of these headphones and if the HD 212's have about the same or more bass than the bose. From what I understand from reading in forums the bose are overpriced and not very popular so I just want to know how these sound in comparison.

One other question, the HD 212's being closed phones do they leak a lot of noise?

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 25
It's funny that you came when you did, as of recently BOSE has become veeeery controversial, it seems. Some people like their headphones, some people (myself included) do not. At the price point of the TriPorts I think you could get headphones that are a lot better, to be honest. To me the TriPorts just sounded really unnatural, nothing sounded very real. There are a ton of threads on here in exactly your price range that ask for closed headphones, browse through the forums or search the site with Google and read what was recommended for others, there are plenty of good options out there.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny that you came when you did, as of recently BOSE has become veeeery controversial, it seems. Some people like their headphones, some people (myself included) do not. At the price point of the TriPorts I think you could get headphones that are a lot better, to be honest. To me the TriPorts just sounded really unnatural, nothing sounded very real. There are a ton of threads on here in exactly your price range that ask for closed headphones, browse through the forums or search the site with Google and read what was recommended for others, there are plenty of good options out there.

as of recently? BOSE has been "controversial" for many years.

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 25
Sorry, I meant to say bose on ear. Like I said they seem to have quite a bit of bass, so I just want to know if the amount of bass is comparable to the HD 212's im going to get. There isn't anywhere around here to demo these phones so I was just curious.

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 25
On-ears bass are VERY boomy and make it seem as if mids are nonexistent. The Around-ear Triports at least sound somewhat balanced (well, as much as Bose can be). So if you decide to go with Boses, at least get the Around-Ear.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 25
I would be willing to wager the bose triports would kick the ass out of the HD 212. I haven't heard anything good about the HD212. You're better off getting the HD280 or maybe a Denon D1001.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be willing to wager the bose triports would kick the ass out of the HD 212. I haven't heard anything good about the HD212. You're better off getting the HD280 or maybe a Denon D1001.

The HD280 isn't very good IMO, but the D1001 is definitely worth your while.

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 25
First off, I'll admit that bob's review has piqued my interest at giving the Triports another go, but from my brief impression (of the Bose...and memory thereof), going D1001 would be a more prudent option. At best, unless my ears and brain were way off, the Bose are as good as D1001. That said...you'll be hard pressed to find D1001 cheaper than Triports these days.

Mar 31, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #15 of 25
There are so many headphones out there. In general I find that the Bose are really nice overall SQ, but there are many headphones for less that sound better. Please help us help you by giving us more info. It really helps to have the type of genre you frequent as well as a basic understanding of your gear and the "high end" of your budget

Users who are viewing this thread

Back