Bose OE just broke and I need new portable ones with great sound
Apr 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Kapli

New Head-Fier
Hi,

My Bose OE just broke, I've only had them for 2 years so I'm pretty disappointed as I have been very satisfied with these headphones. 
Now I am looking for new ones, I'm looking for some great sound obviously, but most importantly these will only be used while outside and so they need to be portable. That's why I really liked the Bose OE as they could be folded and I could put them in the pockets of my jacket, also I think they had pretty good sound. 
I've been searching a little bit and I've come across Sennheiser HD25-1 II, but they look a bit too big and it doesn't look like they can be folded or anything which would be an annoyance for me. I also found Audio Technica ATH ES55, but not too sure about them.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 11
For great portable cans, The best I have heard is the Sennheiser HD25-1, Simply amazing for ~$250. Although they cant be folded, They are extremely durable. My friend stretched the Headband to ~170 degrees, He would have gone further but I made him stop hahaha. Also almost everything on the headphone is replaceable, you can buy spare pads, drivers, cables, even the cable clamp! (not that I have had to replace anything)

As for sound, it's a fairly balanced headphone, great for all types of music, check out http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-101-portable-headphones-reviewed-skullcandy-mix-master-added-04-06-12 for a more in-depth review.

I have nothing buy love for my HD25's, and would not have done it any other way!

Hope this helped :)

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #8 of 11
I'm thinking about going for the Beyerdynamic DT1350, what I'm wondering is do I need an amp? My friend has a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 and when I tried those on, I really felt that they needed an amp. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #9 of 11
well they are 80ohms, so its possible that you could use a amp with them to drive them better..but they are like 250-600ohm where you would definitly need a amp.

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 11
well they are 80ohms, so its possible that you could use a amp with them to drive them better..but they are like 250-600ohm where you would definitly need a amp.

The hd25s and dt1350s are fairly easy to drive, they would only really benefit from a portable amp if it is high quality so I wouldnt go out and buy an amp for them if it isn't a good one, but then again it would benifit more greatly from a good DAC like the algorithm solo or HPP1.

The only reason I bight an e11 with mine was because I just wanted to experiment with it.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
I'm thinking about going for the Beyerdynamic DT1350, what I'm wondering is do I need an amp? My friend has a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 and when I tried those on, I really felt that they needed an amp. 

Yeah with those you will need an amp. The V-MODA M-80 / V-80 have an Impedance of 28 ohms so those will be easy to drive without an amp. You may want to keep that into consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back