BOSE - my personal opinion
Oct 14, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #16 of 29
The headphones I've tried are the ones I've listed in my original post, the PX100, CX95, and the HD280 Pro. Unfortunately, if you want to try-before-you-buy, there aren't many options. I was able to try the Bose and I felt they were worth the sound I heard, so I bought them and am happy with them. I'd love to try a pair of something in the same price range ($180 max), but don't want to spend the money and then find out I don't like them. After trying my CX95's, I've decided I don't really like the feeling of an IEM in my ear. If anyone is interested, I have them for sale on Amazon for $50.

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make fair comparisons and try some other high-end stuff before blindly praising.

My point was simply that there are a wide range of products and a very wide range of prices. Bose is really not that expensive if you look at the amount of money that can be spent on higher-end products. Look, I'm not trying to insult anyone, I'm simply saying that for me, the price/performance ratio is a good value. I'm not trying to say that Bose sounds as good as a $500 or $1000 IEM.

I guess I've really stirred-up the hornet's nest.
wink_face.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #18 of 29
You've stepped into field of landmines I say. One thing you have to remember about these higher-end products, they're actually worth their prices (well most of us will say that). That's why most people pay for them. And that is why Bose isn't a favourite around here at all. For price/performance ratio, most of us have heard better in the Bose headphones' price range.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigawatts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My point was simply that there are a wide range of products and a very wide range of prices. Bose is really not that expensive if you look at the amount of money that can be spent on higher-end products. Look, I'm not trying to insult anyone, I'm simply saying that for me, the price/performance ratio is a good value. I'm not trying to say that Bose sounds as good as a $500 or $1000 IEM.

I guess I've really stirred-up the hornet's nest.
wink_face.gif

Until you have heard a good headphone I think you do not have the right to call the Boses a good value for money. Trying to compare the triports with the SR325i is like comparing Paris Hilton with Eva Longoria. Trust us, get a good closed back like the D1001 or the ES7 and you'll understand better why head-fi hates Bose products.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #20 of 29
eg:

eh-350 is half the price of AE and its noticeably better in SQ and build...

ex-85 is a quarter of IE's price. @ least try to listen to other headphones which you have access and im sure youll understand what ZephyrSapphire mean
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #21 of 29
Can anyone recommend a good online retailer that allows returns on opened items? How do most of ya'll try out different headphones without spending a fortune? And am I right in assuming that no one will accept returns on IEMs due to health concerns? BTW, I appreciate everyone's input.

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Can anyone recommend a good online retailer that allows returns on opened items? How do most of ya'll try out different headphones without spending a fortune? And am I right in assuming that no one will accept returns on IEMs due to health concerns? BTW, I appreciate everyone's input.

A lot of people go into music stores and try them out or get them loaned out by other Head-fi'ers.

Oct 14, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #23 of 29
BOSE, the flavor of this month as well...
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #24 of 29
Part of being an audiophile is the pursuit of high-fidelity. That word high-fidelity means "to be as close as the original as possble". Bose has never claim to be high-fidelity, and that is the problem many people have. Yes we all like a touch extra bass, mids, treble depending on the music, but Bose has practcally outright said that an accurate frequency response (the shape of the graph, not the numbers) isn't important. That's why they never publish frequency response specs on their speakers or other audio components.
Bose will design their equipment to be pleasing psychoacoustically, and that means that they tailor the frequency response to be pleasing, but by definition it's not accurate. Most people that are into this hobby are looking to hear the music the way the producer intended you to hear it. That's why frequency response graphs is a nice too, because it gives clues as to how the headphones sound. The shape of the graphs gives you an idea of which frequencies it emphasizes. No headphone is perfect, and many headphones have anamolies in their frequency response, but for the most part, they tend to deviate from a target ideal curve less than Bose products.

You can see that Bose QC2 is clearly slanted toward a bass heavy presentation compared to a Sennheiser HD595

graphCompare.php

I don't have anything against Bose products, in fact I always give them the benefit of the doubt and hear them for myself before passing judgement. Unfortunately I find them disappointing because they color the sound too much. It may work well if you want to go "wow, listen to that bass", but I believe that the sound is skewed to sound impressive to people that don't have a lot of experience with live instruments or real performances.

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Part of being an audiophile is the pursuit of high-fidelity. That word high-fidelity means "to be as close as the original as possble". Bose has never claim to be high-fidelity, and that is the problem many people have. Yes we all like a touch extra bass, mids, treble depending on the music, but Bose has practcally outright said that an accurate frequency response (the shape of the graph, not the numbers) isn't important. That's why they never publish frequency response specs on their speakers or other audio components.
Bose will design their equipment to be pleasing psychoacoustically, and that means that they tailor the frequency response to be pleasing, but by definition it's not accurate. Most people that are into this hobby are looking to hear the music the way the producer intended you to hear it. That's why frequency response graphs is a nice too, because it gives clues as to how the headphones sound. The shape of the graphs gives you an idea of which frequencies it emphasizes. No headphone is perfect, and many headphones have anamolies in their frequency response, but for the most part, they tend to deviate from a target ideal curve less than Bose products.

You can see that Bose QC2 is clearly slanted toward a bass heavy presentation compared to a Sennheiser HD595

graphCompare.php

I don't have anything against Bose products, in fact I always give them the benefit of the doubt and hear them for myself before passing judgement. Unfortunately I find them disappointing because they color the sound too much. It may work well if you want to go "wow, listen to that bass", but I believe that the sound is skewed to sound impressive to people that don't have a lot of experience with live instruments or real performances.

^ agree x2.
well bose sounds good to me warm punchy booms here and there which makes it fun phone to me.
but sometimes, I feel like to hear clean details that bose can't present.
I wish I can find something in between bose and other "hi-fidelity" phones.
so far I couldn't find a good one. Anyone know any? I've already tried ue10pro and se530 but I'm not satisfied... Maybe UE11pro will fit?

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #26 of 29
I had some BOSE tri-port IE's and I ended up giving away to my rich uncle Walt. The sound was smooth and confortable as was the fit but they just didn't isnpire any of the Awe ? I felt when I heard a Bose Wave Radio for the first time in that same rich uncle 's den back in the early 80's (you had to be rich to afford those toys back then. I think the price is the same now as it was them). I didn't dislike them but I too felt as if the money would be better spent elsewhere. Have had many others since and many have left me feeling un-inspired as well but for alot less money

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #27 of 29
As a company and manufacturer of audio components, I think Bose is a quality company that definitely uses their name to get away with high pricing. My dad owns Bose computer speakers which sound excellent and my friend has a house full of Bose speakers which are also excellent. However I've tried the Bose Triports and found them to be unbalanced to the point of being difficult to enjoy. For a pair of headphones that cost $150 dollars, Bose should at least be able to keep the music reasonably balanced (something which didn't seem to be much of an issue to Plantronics and the 49$ headset I still own from them).

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #28 of 29
What a funny thing. Just today a friend of mine was here with his Quiet Comfort 3.

IMO they suck very hard for the price point of 400 Euro which is double the price of a HD650 here.

They have a very bass heavy presentation but it is not deep bass either... It is more like the phones are farting all the time. When turning up the volume a bit more they also seem to distort quite heavy. Mids are quite forward but extremely muddy and treble is completely lacking. The soundstage is quite narrow and details are... not there.

I was in heaven as soon as I put back on my GS-1000...

This active noise reduction is quite cool though and they seem to be built relatively well. But that should be expected from any 400 Euro phone.
For "on the ears" type of phones they are also very comfortable...

Soundwise I would prefer the SR-60 anyday. They don't have the bass power of the Bose but the bass is much tighter and more detailled. Mids aren't that muddy and treble isn't lacking. There is also overall more detail in them. And they are costing about 1/8 the price of the Bose.

So no... they actually don't sound terrible. But I wouldn't rate them much higher than a simple Sennheiser PC150 headset I used to use for skyping and gaming.

All in all:

++ very comfortable
+ relatively well built
+ noise cancelling works really well (but probably affects SQ)
+ portable
+ lots of accessoires
+ nice bag
+ cable can be disconnected

- sound
-- sound
--- price/performance ratio
- very thin cables

Conclusion:
They are not bad headphones overall... but its sound quality sucks.

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Many people have claimed that Bose tricks people into thinking their products sound good. This doesn't even make sense. If it sounds good, then it sounds good. Where's the trick.

Trick might be too loaded and value-laden a word. But there are some perceptual effects that are nor caused by the product itself. Some recent examples from psychological research are:
1. A wine is rated as tasting better if it is labeled with a higher cost, than if it is labeled with a lower cost.
2. A medical placebo has greater effects if it is labeled with a higher cost, than if it is labeled with a lower cost.

The latter example (2.) just won the Ignobel Prize.

The point? Aggressive advertising and premium pricing may affect customers' experience of Bose products. Which is fine by me, really. I'm willing to pay more for the same product if it means I'll enjoy it more. More power to placebos. But to some, this is dodgy, and I can understand that.

P.S.: CX95 > PX100? Really? Hmm... Not in my experience, but there we go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back