BOSE - my personal opinion
Oct 13, 2008 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

jigawatts

New Head-Fier
After reading countless posts from Bose haters, I thought I would post my personal views on their products, on the off-chance it might actually help someone make a decision prior to making a purchase.

I currently listen to most of my music on a Cowon D2 with a pair of Bose Triport OE headphones. The EQ on the D2 is flat with all effects turned off. So far, this is the best sounding portable setup I have owned. I previously owned a Cowon iAudio f2. Other headphones I have owned have been the original Bose Triports, the Sennheiser PX100, the Sennheiser CX95, and I have also tried the Sennheiser HD280 Pros.

I liked the sound of my original Triports, but didn't like the way they were built. They just seemed too flimsy, and I eventually sold them on ebay. I liked the PX100s, but they seemed to be missing something in the sound. The CX95s sounded a little better than the PX100s, but I couldn't stand the stuffed-up-head feeling of having those things jammed in my ear-canal. The cord microphonics also bugged-me. The HD280 Pros I did not like at all. To me it sounded like I was listening to music inside a tin can. The music felt completely lifeless to me.

I have owned my Bose Triport OEs for about 2 years now. During this time, I tried all of the above headphones, because I kept reading on various internet forums that there were so many better, cheaper products available than the Bose. So I tried them, thinking I would be blown-away by the sound, but I wasn't. I kept coming back to my Bose headphones, and even after owning them for 2 years, I am still blown-away by how good they sound. They really make the music come alive and give it emotion.

I've read a lot on the internet about frequency response of different headphones, responese curves, etc. I kind of liken it to how some camera manufacturers really push Megapixel counts (more is better, right?). Truth is on most digital SLR's you'll never be able to tell the difference between a 6 MP image and a 12 MP image. Same with a frequency response of 20-20,000 Hz vs 15-35,000 Hz. The latter is beyond the range of human hearing, so what difference does it make. What matters to me is how does it sound when I put it on my head. Some say, "Bose FR is only 20-14,000 Hz when tests are performed on their speakers." So what? Most music falls well below 14,000 Hz anyway, and the upper limit of a middle-aged adult's hearing is about 14,000 Hz. Most musical instruments range in FR from 20 Hz to about 10,000 Hz.

Many people have claimed that Bose tricks people into thinking their products sound good. This doesn't even make sense. If it sounds good, then it sounds good. Where's the trick. Out of the headphones I've tried, Bose are the only ones that make me feel like I'm actually sitting in an auditorium listening to the music. I keep trying other products, but keep coming back to Bose. And thankfully, my OE's are much more durable than the original Triports I used to own. They feel very strong, yet lightweight. Have a detachable cord, fold-up nicely, have a nice carrying case, and are very comfortable to wear.

Okay, let the inevitable flames and bashing begin.......
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 29
What are you talking about when you say most musical intruments range is 10,000 hz oO?

Anyways, I do not believe people are bashing the bose as a unit, but as a poor performer at its price point. If the bose cans were half the price I think they would have a much better reputation. They have obvious flaws and these are exasperated when people just paid over 100$ for them, truth is one can get a pair of sr60s for half and notice less flaws.

Bose works off of its name, much like viking. I can tell you I am not impressed with my viking range and would have been just as happy if not more with something less expensive.

*EDIT* Just for reference sake, the frequency response is kind of important, but not nearly so much as the frequency response graph (db level at a given frequency), though neither will tell you how the headphone actually sounds.

Cheers,
Dave

Oct 13, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Many people have claimed that Bose tricks people into thinking their products sound good. This doesn't even make sense.

if u go to consumer stores u ll see that Bose Triports are attached to a Bose stand and the wiring is internal.

they ll never let u listen to Bose triports without it..

and even when u tryout the Noise cancelling models..its again attached to a stand and the wires go inside the stand.

i think they use EQed playback for the Demo units.

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 29
No doubt the Triports are a bit pricier than they should be given similar offerings from other companies.

My favorite comparison here is the AKG K81DJ. Of course they're not as comfortable as they actually rest on the ears (supraaural) but they do sound much more clear and vivid to my ears. (That's a $60 phone outdoing a $150 phone, to put that in perspective.)

The Triports don't sound terrible, but you can do much better for the money IMO.

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigawatts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently listen to most of my music on a Cowon D2 with a pair of Bose Triport OE headphones. The EQ on the D2 is flat with all effects turned off. So far, this is the best sounding portable setup I have owned. I previously owned a Cowon iAudio f2. Other headphones I have owned have been the original Bose Triports, the Sennheiser PX100, the Sennheiser CX95, and I have also tried the Sennheiser HD280 Pros.

I liked the sound of my original Triports, but didn't like the way they were built. They just seemed too flimsy, and I eventually sold them on ebay. I liked the PX100s, but they seemed to be missing something in the sound. The CX95s sounded a little better than the PX100s, but I couldn't stand the stuffed-up-head feeling of having those things jammed in my ear-canal. The cord microphonics also bugged-me. The HD280 Pros I did not like at all. To me it sounded like I was listening to music inside a tin can. The music felt completely lifeless to me.

In that case why don't you get the ATH-ES7 or the Denon D1001? Maybe after that you'll understand why the Bose Triports sucks.

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 29
I have tried the On-Ears a few months back, and they didn't sound horrible, but they didn't sound like something worth over 200 dollars (In Canada). I tried it with a few songs, and for some reason I never really liked it. Something about the sound didn't feel natural, but that's just me. I just went back to my Porta Pros afterwards, and didn't try the Bose On-Ears again.

I did love it's comfort and the portability. Probably one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Too bad the sound wasn't so great, at least for me.

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 29
It is that time of the month again? ...
deadhorse.gif

*repeating what many have said* Bose as a company is usually getting bashed in HF for selling overpriced product, not badly made product (though some may feel differently).

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 29
Frequency response does matter to some degree. I don't remember offhand the numbers someone came up with when they tested the sat/sub system (you mention 20-14,000Hz), but I do remember that the tolerance was in the realm of +/-10dB. That's audible, and the reason it was that high is because there's such a gap between the sats dropping out and the sub kicking in. Sure, lots of sat/sub systems have equally crappy responses. But not for a price where I could buy damn decent separates.

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you talking about when you say most musical intruments range is 10,000 hz oO?

What is Frequency Response? - What is Wideband Frequency Response and How Much is Enough? - Wideband Frequency Response

I was talking about the fundamental frequency response, but apparently I should have done some more reading on the subject, as the article above explains. My bad.

As far as Bose being an over-priced product as is often stated, that too is very subjective.

Bose Triport OE - $179.99
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi EB - $199.99
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi Pro - $249.99
Sleek Audio SA6 - $249.99
Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - $399.99
Shure SE530 - $499.99
Bose Triport IE - $99.99
UE 10 Pro - $900.00
UE 11 Pro - $1150.00
Grado SR125 - $150.00
Grado SR325i - $295.00

My point is that if someone really likes the sound, then it is worth the money. People that own the SE530 I'm sure don't think $499.99 is overpriced, but some people probably do. Same with any of the phones I've listed. For me, $180.00 is a good value for something I enjoy so much and that is really about the most I want to spend on headphones. I've tried other headphones that are comparable in price and just haven't liked the sound as much. It's a personal preference. But I think that bashing the company just because the sound of their product doesn't suit "your" listening preferences is kind of silly. The important thing is that "you" enjoy your music with whatever product you choose to use.
smile.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is that time of the month again? ...
deadhorse.gif

*repeating what many have said* Bose as a company is usually getting bashed in HF for selling overpriced product, not badly made product (though some may feel differently).

X2

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #12 of 29
Not again... Most of us "Bose-haters" don't REALLY hate Bose. Some of us even think it sounds reasonably good. The only reason why they get bashed here is because they are overpriced/not worth its price tag.

There will always be better options than Bose products within its price range.

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigawatts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is Frequency Response? - What is Wideband Frequency Response and How Much is Enough? - Wideband Frequency Response

I was talking about the fundamental frequency response, but apparently I should have done some more reading on the subject, as the article above explains. My bad.

As far as Bose being an over-priced product as is often stated, that too is very subjective.

Bose Triport OE - $179.99
Shure SE530 - $499.99
Bose Triport IE - $99.99
UE 10 Pro - $900.00
UE 11 Pro - $1150.00
Grado SR125 - $150.00
Grado SR325i - $295.00

My point is that if someone really likes the sound, then it is worth the money. People that own the SE530 I'm sure don't think $499.99 is overpriced, but some people probably do. Same with any of the phones I've listed. For me, $180.00 is a good value for something I enjoy so much and that is really about the most I want to spend on headphones. I've tried other headphones that are comparable in price and just haven't liked the sound as much. It's a personal preference. But I think that bashing the company just because the sound of their product doesn't suit "your" listening preferences is kind of silly. The important thing is that "you" enjoy your music with whatever product you choose to use.
smile.gif

And our point is that just because you liked the Boses's sound over a couple of headphones doesn't mean that you will not like other headphones more than the Boses. The PX-100 is a <$30 headphone, so there's something really wrong if they can be compared to the $179.99 OEs. The CX95 is a IEM so there's no real comparision. As for the HD280 you aren't the first and only person to find them boring. I personally told my friends not to get them as I felt that they are a poor value for money unless you are looking for lots of isolation. Like I said if you are looking for an exciting sound the ATH-ES7 costs much less but offers much more than the OEs. It's not a question of personal perference, there's lots of bassy headphones out there which are cheaper and better than the triports. The Bose being over-priced is not subjective, it's a plain fact that can only be denied by Bose fanboys that hasn't tried the better offerings.

Oh, you might consider the D1001 too, if you don't need a lot of isolation.

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #15 of 29
"Bose Triport OE - $179.99
Shure SE530 - $499.99
Bose Triport IE - $99.99
UE 10 Pro - $900.00
UE 11 Pro - $1150.00
Grado SR125 - $150.00
Grado SR325i - $295.00"

You're comparing bose's to an entirely seperate league of headphones and IEMs. Very little can compete with the comfort of custom IEMs and several people (myself included) find their universal IEMs fit extremely well. There's no way you can compare the bose IEMs to ANYTHING on that list, especially since its pricepoint is half of the cheapest other non-bose product you listed. If you compare it to ER 6i's, RE2's, C751s, PK2's, etc, it would be ripped apart for the same price or lower. As for the OE's, it is the cheapest headphone on your list other than the bose IE's - if you compare it to other over-ear headphones in a similar price range, it will again be torn apart.

Make fair comparisons and try some other high-end stuff before blindly praising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back