Bose Marketing
Nov 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

framos917

New Head-Fier
Its been awhile since I have shopped for headphones, so maybe I am missing something. I am researching a headphone to us with my MP3 and tablets for both movies and music. I zeroed in on the Sennheiser HD380 Pro. I heard them at the local Guitar Center and liked them, most helpful salesman by the way. I discussed impedance and sensitivity with him as I do not want to buy an headphone amp. Before I bought, I went to Best Buy to look and hear the Bose as I keep seeing them while traveling. There was a Bose rep there and I thought how lucky for me. He was very courteous. Since impedance and sensitivity was important to me ( I did not have my source equipment and I did not know what was powering their display), I asked what these specs were for the headphone. Very courteously he said, "We chose not to publish those specs, we feel if you like them, you buy them and take them home". I very courteously said, "Thanks" and went back to the Guitar Center. Note, this was a Bose rep not a Best Buy rep, Best Buy is a great store and will continue to do business with them as they have always been great. Could be because I spend so much money there :wink: Does this approach work on Bose's part? Is it snob appeal, mystery appeal? What? I like more information when I purchase anything, be it headphones, houses, or cars. Has Bose always done this?

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 13
Bose sucks and will always suck. If one thing is just above sucking, it would be Bose Headphones, then you realize its still Bose. Better choices out there for the money, heck even maybe less money. Bose doesn't show specs since anyone with half a brain about audio would realize what they sell is from marketing, not quality and proper sound. I cant argue if people like them they would buy them, I can just try and educate them on better options.

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 13
Now I know why I have never bought Bose. Good Luck to them. Marketing works on some, Knowledge works on others.  By the way my HD 380 Pro's sound great. Plus they sound great on my equipment as the specs indicated they would.

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 13
I have no problem with the Bose reps comments.  Who cares what the published specs are if they are even published.  Would you REALLY buy a pair of headphones based on specs?   Would you buy a car based on a spec sheet?

The heavy marketing is a big advantage for Bose.  They could sell **** on a head harness with the right marketing but a saavy buyer or discriminating audiophile can find much better for less.

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 13
When I was younger my first set of 'serious' speakers came from Bose.  I was very happy with them until I heard my friend's KEFS (for equivalent dollars); after that I felt cheated and haven't bought a Bose product since.

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 13
inb4 somebody rants about how they make good ANCs.  Beats doesn't publish the specs of their "headphones" either it doesn't matter to the majority of the market that buys their products anyways.  The average highschoolers opinion on them is that they are the alternative to Beats, if you want to spend a large sum of money on "really good headphones" you can either buy beats or bose.  These are however the same people that don't understand FR charts, the importance of their sources and they happily listen to their 128kbps music straight out of their iphones. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 13
So, how many of the audiophile cable companies, the green pen guys, the Shakti Stone (dunno if anyone here remembers those from mid-90s), etc publish specs?

I dont see a big deal with what Bose does.    Their stores are set up to let you listen to the gear for yourself and decide.   And more power to them, for that.    Atleast they are straight-up about it and dont make any great claims to audio perfection, unlike some of the snake-oil companies catering to the audiophile community.

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #11 of 13
If I had read the specs on the QC20 but was unable to try them I would have NEVER bought them. But because I could TRY them in a store I was able to HEAR the noise cancelling and FEEL the comfort. I don't need specs to tell me how good those areas are, nor to tell me that that the bass is not as deep and the treble not as crisp or extended as a good audiophile headphone. At least they are not pumping out silly specs like 4Hz to 80,000Hz like some companies LOL.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 13
My initial comment on Bose was not meant as a negative comment toward their products, but to understand their marketing. I wish I could hear every headphone out there before I purchase one, and to be able to take all my source equipment (mp3, 2 tablets, and 1 desktop computer) with me to the store to listen to them. But I can't or rather chose not to. So I look for specifications as an initial selection criteria, and then listen. For me, there is a little art (listening) and science (specs) in everything I do. Since NOT having to buy a headphone amp was a big requirement for me, I used impedance and sensitivity as a criteria to identify some headphones to look at. Even though I could not find the specs for the Bose, I still wanted to listen to the AE2's. Actually I did like the sound of another headphone brand better, but the Bose was $50 cheaper. So  I asked the Bose rep what the specs were when he said " We chose not to publish the specs, if you like them buy them and take them home". Now maybe I should have asked to listen to them with an MP3 player, or maybe the Bose rep should have asked why I needed the specs and I could have spoken to my requirements and he may have had an answer. Neither happened, I just walked away and went and bought the other headphones.

I researched Bose Corporation in Wikipedia and found this. "Bose audio products receive polarized opinions about quality: some reviewers consider them high-end while others consider them overpriced and of average quality.
Bose has a reputation for being particularly protective of its patents and trademarks, and very defensive of its brand".

It seems that Bose is protective of its specs and they have found a market segment they do very well in. I am not in the market segment and I am sure they are OK with that, and I am OK with that. Now I understand Bose a bit better. I appreciate all your comments they were most helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back