Bose Lifestyle 48 Series IV
Feb 14, 2008 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Awah

100+ Head-Fier
Well, my dad purchased this system from our advanced electronics store. They don't have much selection and he isn't someone to shop around.

The system was a demo in the store for we were able to purchase is for $2500 Canadian. My dad does not have even close to perfect hearing as he has hearing loss and small speakers were a must as there is next to no room to place speakers in our living room.

I'm wondering if this was a good purchase, as it was below retail and met our requirements. I think the system sounds great, but I have nothing to compare it too but speakers that are probably a good 15 years old lol! I know there is a lot of Bose bashing, and I have seen products trying to sell just by the name. (there was no info on the box/casing of the product)

So what do you guys think? You seem to know everything ^_^

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 11
You answered your own questions in your post.

"met our requirements"

"My dad does not have even close to perfect hearing as he has hearing loss and small speakers were a must as there is next to no room to place speakers in our living room."

That said, you could have done better, but if it suits your needs, then it suits your needs.

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm just curious if there is a set up using satellite speakers of roughly the same size that could outperform for that cost. I'm still new and don't fully understand how one can tell if a brand sucks or not.

I should have been more clear. :p

Feb 14, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 11
If room is a consideration, you can't go wrong with a good pair of headphones.
biggrin.gif

How about returning the Bose and dropping $2,500 on a serious headphone rig? You can do very, very well with $2,500.

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If room is a consideration, you can't go wrong with a good pair of headphones.
biggrin.gif

How about returning the Bose and dropping $2,500 on a serious headphone rig? You can do very, very well with $2,500.

it sounds like it was for a TV or movie system, though...although $2,500 would buy a very fine headphone rig indeed.

Feb 15, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 11
Yep, home theater system.
smily_headphones1.gif
I get his super ancient system now for the basement lol.

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 11
You should tell us what his super ancient system consists of. You may have hit the mother load on him buying Bose.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Awah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just curious if there is a set up using satellite speakers of roughly the same size that could outperform for that cost.

The problem is that speakers that small can never be very good, because they're nowhere near full-range. You might have considered a nice mid-range home theater receiver from Yamaha or Onkyo and a speaker system from Orb Audio. It would probably exceed the performance of the Bose system for less money, and with a similar form factor.

Still, at least he didn't pay the full $3,999 USD MSRP for the system. That's just ridiculous...

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that speakers that small can never be very good, because they're nowhere near full-range. You might have considered a nice mid-range home theater receiver from Yamaha or Onkyo and a speaker system from Orb Audio. It would probably exceed the performance of the Bose system for less money, and with a similar form factor.

Still, at least he didn't pay the full $3,999 USD MSRP for the system. That's just ridiculous...

yeah orb audio or anthony gallos a diva ti is what i would have gone for...

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 11
Another thing with what these guys are saying about other systems is they will be upgradeable in the future where as the Bose is pretty much done once one component dies or becomes obsolete cause of all the proprietary plugs and the like.

Feb 15, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Hmm, cool. Wish I found this site before the purchase XD You guys are very helpful!

Edit: Ye, that's what I notice since it's bought as a kit,theres no real way of getting replacements.

Not at home at the moment, but the ancient setup contains a D-Box David 300 sub (also have a Polk Audio sub, which would be better to use?) , KLN rear speakers, Audio Profiler center. Pretty sure its all low end speakers, but it will suffice for the secondary entertainment room. I'll check the rest of the equipment when I get home tonight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back