Bose in ear headphones?????
Jan 29, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #17 of 23
I hope you spend more than a few minutes with the Phonaks. It takes time to get used to the sound signature of any particular IEM model.

It is good you got rid of the Bose. It isn't like they are awful or anything, but you tend to pay much more for the brand than the sound.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #18 of 23
should have gone with the shures they are great quality and have a wide range to suit most tastes. hope you enjoy your purchase

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #19 of 23
Ipod Touch is light on bass. Phonak is not a good headphone for it. At least, if you like full, warm and neutral sound. With Touch, I guess they'll be quite analytical with small bass quantity.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojsinnerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You haven't done enough research if you only came up with Shure and Bose. Those two are pretty much everywhere in stores.

If you're willing to spend between 100 to 220 range, I suggest the Phonak Audeo PFE. They're 140 bucks, and apparently the best soundthing IEMs under 200 bucks. They're almost as good as Westone 3, and Shure SE530s, I've heard. Everyone who tried them so far has liked them a lot. Visit the thread!

Unless you want massive skull-shaking bass, go with the Phonaks Audeo PFEs.

so you are making recommendations based on what you read against other options you have only read about.

this is why this place is starting to become a bit tiring. maybe in future make recommendations based on actual knowledtge of at least one of the headphones you are making comparisons between. its all very well to have an opinion about something, but that is not what you have; its something else altogether. I actually dont see how the phonak even compares to those 2. it is supposedly closer to the etymotic ER4 series and yes I own both W3 and SE530 they are NOTHING like ER4

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #22 of 23
You want actual knowledge?

I own both the Phonaks and the W3s, and I can honestly state that the PFEs are, in some ways, equal to or even better than the Westones. Plus, if you use the black filters, they deliver clean, accurate punchy bass, well beyond what the ER4P can deliver. The Phonaks are mid/high focused, true, but their bass is a pleasure. I am keeping the W3s as well, but to be honest, if I had to give one up, it would be the W3s based on my listening preferences.

Of course, all depends on your listening priorities. And this is purely my opinion based on my listening experience (and I have devoted several hours comparing the Phonaks to the W3s).

As for the PFEs not being a good match with the Touch, also not true (a post a little higher up). I use them with my Touch 2G, and while the deliver crisp, clean highs and mids, bass response is definitely not lean nor thin. And, believe it or not, if you desire more bass, you can (on most tracks) turn on the bass boost with the Touch EQ. I know, I know. iPod EQ sux. But with the PFEs, it works. Some bass heavy tracks, like hip-hop, may distort, but then you just turn it off.

Trust me, if you read over the Phonak threads, a few SE530 and W3 owners favor the Phonaks (Headphoneaddict favors them over the stock 530s, and Chi2 favors them over the Westones).

So yes, the PFEs can compete with the top tier phones. Are they better than all of them, of course not. Are they the best value in the $100-$220 range. I think so. And I have owned SA6, ER4P, Atrio, UE SF5 v2 - most of the middle priced IEMs, except Shures.

Oh, and if you have a quality amp, the PFEs REALLY respond. They go up to another level, and respond to what an amp can do more than any IEM I have owned. I have the MiniboxE+ and the PFEs perform as a top tier phone when hooked up to it.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want actual knowledge?

I own both the Phonaks and the W3s, and I can honestly state that the PFEs are, in some ways, equal to or even better than the Westones. Plus, if you use the black filters, they deliver clean, accurate punchy bass, well beyond what the ER4P can deliver. The Phonaks are mid/high focused, true, but their bass is a pleasure. I am keeping the W3s as well, but to be honest, if I had to give one up, it would be the W3s based on my listening preferences.

Of course, all depends on your listening priorities. And this is purely my opinion based on my listening experience (and I have devoted several hours comparing the Phonaks to the W3s).

As for the PFEs not being a good match with the Touch, also not true (a post a little higher up). I use them with my Touch 2G, and while the deliver crisp, clean highs and mids, bass response is definitely not lean nor thin. And, believe it or not, if you desire more bass, you can (on most tracks) turn on the bass boost with the Touch EQ. I know, I know. iPod EQ sux. But with the PFEs, it works. Some bass heavy tracks, like hip-hop, may distort, but then you just turn it off.

Trust me, if you read over the Phonak threads, a few SE530 and W3 owners favor the Phonaks (Headphoneaddict favors them over the stock 530s, and Chi2 favors them over the Westones).

So yes, the PFEs can compete with the top tier phones. Are they better than all of them, of course not. Are they the best value in the $100-$220 range. I think so. And I have owned SA6, ER4P, Atrio, UE SF5 v2 - most of the middle priced IEMs, except Shures.

Oh, and if you have a quality amp, the PFEs REALLY respond. They go up to another level, and respond to what an amp can do more than any IEM I have owned. I have the MiniboxE+ and the PFEs perform as a top tier phone when hooked up to it.

Now thats what i'm talking about; I dont doubt that they are very good, I just dont see how someone who hasnt heard any of them can make a claim that they are *better*; as we all know (well not all apparently) at this level its more about preference than anything else. and from all accounts they are in a totally different sounding category than the 2 that were claimed to be inferior. by the sounds of it the phonaks do punch above their weight, but if someone is looking for a comparable IEM to the denon D2000 anything that sounds even slightly like ER4 is NOT what I would recommend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back