Bose auto suspensions?!
May 17, 2005 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
I just read an article about Amar Bose in my alumni magazine (he was a student, then a prof at MIT). Having cleaned up in the audio world, he is moving into auto suspensions!
eek.gif
eek.gif

May 17, 2005 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 21
They developed auto suspensions that could stiffen or soften the suspension on a dime. The shock oil had magnetic particles that allowed bose to control the viscosity of the oil. I think they developed it a long long time ago and was used in a lexus early 90's? i maybe wrong but they are just now thinking bringing that technology into the motorbike arena, read it in my buddy's bike mag. nifty i'd say

edit: just found more info on it bose has a page and a few videos show casing the suspension bose suspension

May 17, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #8 of 21
Uh-oh, I get the feeling he's gonna introduce Video Stage 5 or Direct/Reflecting technology to speed bumps!
biggrin.gif
Abe

May 17, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #10 of 21
Heh, what a vague thread - at this point it's a bit too obvious that we're not an automotive forum.
tongue.gif

I also read this a while ago, and from what i've gathered, Dr. Bose has been working on this problem for the last 25 years. He started by modeling the most mathematically optimal way to control suspension, then began testing and developing a real-world device that could best realize this model. While he may have tried variable-viscosity systems, what they've landed on is a set of independent, electrostatic motors that act as suspension.

A bit of googling confirms my beliefs:
From 'Automobile'
Bose

Could be pretty cool if the cost isn't overwhelming.

May 17, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrhawk
Could be pretty cool if the cost isn't overwhelming.

Knowing Bose, this will probably be not worth the money you'll have to shell out for this feature.
biggrin.gif
Abe

May 17, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
i read about this awhile ago...

pretty weird.

It's not weird. Computer controlled active or semi-active suspension has been tested in Formula One since the beginning of 80's. Ayrton Senna won GP Monaco in 1987 with such a suspension system in his Lotus and similar system used by Williams helped Nigel Mansell and Alain Prost won their Championship titles in 1992 and 1993 respectively. The active suspension system has been banned by FIA from 1994......

May 17, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Very Cool. What current cars has this kind of suspension?

Mercedes Benz CL500 has it's own developed ABC (Active Body Control) system. Not sure which kind of sensors they use, e.g. acoustic or laser....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back