Bored out of my mind with my music:
Sep 20, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #31 of 39
Heh... My musical evolution has been about the opposite of the OP's. Started out as a classic rock kid, and have grown into more metal and modern rock. Our tastes are still quite similar though. (Love many of the bands in your first post) Here's what I like, for what it's worth.

At the Drive-In: Precurser to The Mars Volta. Nowhere near as progressive, but an integral band to the post-hardcore movement. Relationship of Command is essential listening for everyone.

Old Man Gloom: One of Isis frontman Aaron Turner's side projects. Like a punk version of Isis with some more ambient tendencies. Christmas is my favorite album of theirs.

Kyuss: Bass-heavy, lowdown desert rock. Precurser to Queens of the Stone Age, if you like them, but musically they aren't too similar.

Ahab: German doom metal. Themes centralize around the literary classic Moby Dick. Very high quality stuff.

Genghis Tron: Addictive electronic screamo. Distant similarities to DEP.

The Fall of Troy: Also similar to DEP; fast, catchy guitar riffs with a decent dose of screaming.

Let me know if you find anything you like there... Shoot me a PM if you want more recommendations.

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I was really impressed by Equilibrium. Something to add to the must hear list then.

All Emperor (save Wrathh of the Tyrant) is essential to any metal fan's library. The first two - In the Nightside Eclipse and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk - are bonafide classics. Equilibrium is only slightly disappointing (to me) compared to the first two and their masterpiece, Prometheus.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All Emperor (save Wrathh of the Tyrant) is essential to any metal fan's library. The first two - In the Nightside Eclipse and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk - are bonafide classics. Equilibrium is only slightly disappointing (to me) compared to the first two and their masterpiece, Prometheus.

Must sign below.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #34 of 39
I've been listening to korn for over 6 years and I still love them as much as today. Try em

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its been a while since ive heard something thats really blown me away.
Ill take any genre recommendation as long as its QUALITY.

What ive liked over the past couple of years:

Meshuggah
Dredg
ISIS
Katatonia
The Mars Volta
The Dilinger Escape Plan
Mastodon
Cave-In
Gojira
Porcupine Tree

Stuff that has kinda let me down:
New Metallica album (yawn; Death Magnetic should be all instrumental)
Cult of Luna (decent, but a poor Isis rip off)
Novembre (eh)
Mnemic (annoying vocals)
Ion Dissonance (boring)

Ill take any rock/metal sub-genre; I know im missing some classic albums...

I find myself listening to more and more Zeppelin, Floyd, Rush and Sabbath every day.

Try Gustav Mahler......in some ways its a very far stretch, in others its got something in common.......try Mahler's 2nd Symphony

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #36 of 39
Some interesting recs here indeed.

Already an Opeth fan-but not die hard. I have Blackwater Park which is a very, very good album but...I "feel" depressed when I listen to their music. Its very ominous metal-in a dark/gothic kinda way. I dont mind dark music, in fact I prefer it-but theres something about Opeth that prevents me from listening to it as much as I probably should be.

I think this is why I have stayed away from alot of the death/balck metal genre. I am definitely a more doom-stoner/tech-math kinda guy-ala Meshuggah, DEP and even Kyuss (in a way).

I do love some of Katatonia's work btw, so I dont know where that puts my tastes... (bought Novembre's Materia recently-so far am not impressed).

Anyone know Coheed and Cambria?

Might be off a different vein all together-but ive heard very good things.

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #37 of 39
I've always found Coheed and Cambria to be pretty boring. They have a few songs, like Welcome Home, but on the whole their albums are very drab.

If you're looking for more stoner rock/metal, Unida, Slo Burn and High on Fire are all great. As far as doom, Boris, Melvins, and Earth are my favorites. Math rock is a bit more broad: There's a lot of bands without harsh vocals that still qualify as "math". I recommend Battles from that end of the spectrum, and Maps & Atlases is kind of decent if you can get over the terrible vocalist.

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its been a while since ive heard something thats really blown me away.
Ill take any genre recommendation as long as its QUALITY.

High On Fire, album "Death is this Communion" for instance.

Enslaved's "Vertebrae".

Cynic.

Gojira.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back