Bored of my music...
May 8, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #16 of 45
it's really not that tough to find good music to listen to...thumb through a couple of the better music mags (Q, NME and the like), visit some music review websites and check what stuff they've rated highly recently, listen to some samples and go spend your $$$s.

Here's a great one to start out with: "You Forgot It in People" - Broken Social Scene.

- w

May 8, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
Here's a great one to start out with: "You Forgot It in People" - Broken Social Scene.

- w

Seconded. Superb album. It grows on me more with each listen.

Pitchfork is one of my favorite online music-review sites.

- Chris

May 8, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #18 of 45
How about

Faithless - Reverence
Everything but the Girl - Walking Wounded (If you are tired of protection, you might find that Tracey Thorn's solo sound is a good change of pace)
Bjork - Homogenic

May 8, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #19 of 45
I am not at all familiar with those cd's you already have except for the Tool cd. Somebody mentioned Sum41 All Killer and No Filler. That is a good album. Bad Religion The Process of Belief is good, more mainstream than Sum41.
For some down and dirty rock n roll try The Grannies, a west coast band that I found at CD Baby.
My friend that loaned me his Tool cd also turned me on to Buckcherry. You probably already heard them though, and they broke up after two albums.

May 8, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I am not at all familiar with those cd's you already have except for the Tool cd. Somebody mentioned Sum41 All Killer and No Filler. That is a good album. Bad Religion The Process of Belief is good, more mainstream than Sum41.

Bad Religion is more mainstream than Sum41?!?!?! What? Sure BR is more mainstream than awhile ago but...c'mon.

May 8, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #21 of 45
James Taylor - october road special edition cd

Hiroshima - between black and white

Spyro Gyra - in modern times

Incubus - make yourself

Basia - greatest hits

May 8, 2003 at 9:21 AM Post #22 of 45
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, The Wall

New Found Glory - Sticks and Stones

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

White Stripes - Elephant (although it's boring to me, it provided a few good weeks of straight listening)

May 8, 2003 at 1:26 PM Post #23 of 45
If you like Massive Attack, you'd do well to explore Portishead, Tricky, and others.

Try looking up stuff you like on Allmusic.com for similar artists and very detailed reviews and artist bios.

May 8, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #24 of 45
oh yeah, keep it coming!! great suggestions. you guys have named a few things I own already, which i great, b/c it means we're thinking along the same lines.

maybe i'll try to hit the library later to see if i can check any of these CDs out...

again, gimme more!
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #25 of 45
Don't know if you'll like it, but I'll mention it anyway

Muse - Showbiz

Live - Mental Jewelry (Their first album. They haven't got their specific sound yet, but I like it a lot!)

May 9, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #26 of 45
Also check out
SPIRITUALIZED-"ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space"
bluesy, ambient, drug rock, some very beautiful songs.

TRANQUILITY BASS-"let the freak flag fly"
hillbilly psychedelic dance music

May 9, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #27 of 45
There have been some good recommendations here. I think you should also check out Alice in Chains Unplugged and Nirvana Unplugged. Those are both very fun to listen to.

-Chad

May 9, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #28 of 45
You seem to have the same general musical taste as me, at least from those albums. If you liked Blackalicious you should try some Binary Star. My friend is a huge fan of Blackalicious, and now he loves Binary Star. I also strongly second So Much for the Afterglow, great CD.

For a sound that's pretty different from most typical rock music, try Quarashi. If you don't like it at first, just try listening to it a few times, it grows on you.

Also, for some good underground-ish hip-hop/rap, try Jedi Mind Tricks, especially the album "Violent By Design".

For some very chill but upbeat and soothing music, try Kinobe - Soundphiles.

Trip-hop/chill music/"Background music": Try the Flexistentialism CD, it's a compilation of artists, mainly DJ Food, 9 Lazy 9, The Herbaliser, etc. Also "Funkjazztical Technology", a similar compilation of the same artists.

Up until their current CD, the Ataris were my all around favorite rock band. If you're looking for upbeat, punkish but not too harsh rock, try "Anywhere But Here", the remastered album. For something closer to normal rock, try "Looking Forward to Failure" or "Blue Skies, Broken Hearts, Next Twelve Exits..."

May 10, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #29 of 45
start with any album that says "Greatest of...." or "Best of".

Greatest of Enigma
Greatest of Basia
Greatest of Eric Clapton
Greatest of Stevie Ray Vaughn
Best of the Beatles
Greatest of The Who
Greatest of Phil Keaggy
Greatest of the Yardbirds / Led Zeppellin
greatest of Young and Messina, Neil Young, Boston, Chet Atkins, ...
etc.

Best of Rock
Best of Bluegrass
Best of Eurodance
Best of Pianos
Best of Drums
Best of Horns
Best of ...
etc.

the problems come in when you have all of an artist's albums and then they come out with a "Greatest of" collection. you just know that the one song you loved the most isn't on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back