Boombox, without the boom?
Jun 29, 2005 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

marmul

100+ Head-Fier
I searched the forums and did not find any info on Boombox suggestions. I am in the market for a mid to high level boombox for vacations and other portable applications. Are there any sold that focus on quality sound? I am looking for a unit that will play mp3 discs and has an aux in. Again, sound quality is most important.

I am not sure I will even use my headphones with this boombox so the headphone section in not that important. (ducking)

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 11
people still buy these?
biggrin.gif
sorry, but I haven't had one for like 5 years. I guess they're not so popular as MP3 players are they? have you tried sites like cnet?

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 11
The big tube shaped jvc is probably one of the best sounding , but is a monster and heavy as hell. I suggest you try audiocubes. com(look under home audio - then boomboxes), maybe they have a nice sharp or high end sony or such. Sharp digital amps sound nice!

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 11
How about a $40-50 Sony MP3 PCDP + ~$50 Logitech 2.1 with narrow sub model? I can see this still taking up less space than a boombox. Don't know about Aux in. This setup = lots of wires though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 11
This has proven more difficult than I expected. I looked at the JVC model and it is a monster, I have not yet heard it though.

About 15 years ago I bought an "audiophile grade" boombox made by panasonic. This thing rocked. It had a remote control (cutting edge then) it was a 2 way four speaker design that was actually biamplified. The thing sounded fantastic, I was really impressed that all this sound came from such a radio. It was one of the first radios that sported the "new" elongated egg shape. I recently pulled it out of the attic only to find the (cheap) batteries that were left in it leaked all over the inside of the radio. It was toast.

Jul 2, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 11
I thought Jeep came out with a few quality ones, as well as those ultra rugged ones for use on the worksite(can't remember the brands, but I do know what they look like). If one of them played mp3 CD's and run off a rechargeable power cell, I'd so be on it after changing out the stock drivers to really nice ones, but alas, I don't know. I should do more research on the matter, because where I live it's most likely a better idea to have a good boombox than a car stereo. Salem, OR is full of thieves(car and otherwise) and meth heads, can't be too careful around them.

For more compact portables though, there's always Caimbridge Soundworks- they sell a line of Henry Kloss and Tivoli Audio radios geared toward the audiophile market- I think.

5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 2, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 11
Ah, just found it: DeWalt, Milwaukee, and Bosch all make high end "Jobsite Radios", and the first two have aux input for a CD/mp3 player or whatever, and the Bosch model plays CD's with mp3 encoding- all three are also supposedly VERY rugged, and have other built-in features. Now that I'm aware, I'll definitely keep my eyes open for one of these at a discount!
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 2, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #11 of 11
The Bosch system for under $100? Not bad! Of course, I'd get one with an extended warranty and ditch the stock drivers. I'll be looking for a used Jobsite Radio, or perhaps even one of those Jeep ones. But at present, despite its size, the Bosch unit seems like a better deal, it's $30 less than a Jeep system and supposedly plays mp3's on disc, although I'd rather line out from a DAP given the option, so I may look for a Milwaukee or DeWalt first.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back