Bookshelf Speakers with a Pioneer Receiver...
Mar 5, 2004 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

vwap

Padawan.
Hey All,

I've got a Pioneer SX-1250 that I'm planning on using with a pair of speakers, but I don't know which ones?

I picked this unit up for free from a friend, so I don't know a huge amount about it. I've heard that it's one of the better vintage Pioneer amps.

Now then, I've looked through that Bookshelf Speakers thread, and I'm curious what kind of speakers would be best served going through this amp? I don't want the speakers outmatching the amp, and vice versa. Classic audio has the specs for the unit here.

My budget for this is preferably under $500, but to avoid doing too much upgrading in the future, can be stretched to about $1000-1500. (So if a $1k pair is going to blow away a $500 pair by so much that I'm going to be buying it anyway, I might as well go for the $1k one now..)

Thanks much!

Mar 5, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 31
Wow, that's a nice budget, especially if you buy used. Audiogon is our worst enemy!

Mar 5, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
Wow, that's a nice budget, especially if you buy used. Audiogon is our worst enemy!

However, is the budget overmatching the receiver? I'm thinking of a pair of Totem Model 1's... and those Revel M20's sound intriguing (from that other thread), but again, while these are likely both overshooting my budget, the concern I have is the amp... :/

Mar 5, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 31
Specwise, that amp looks really good. Remember...you can always upgrade your amp later!! Hehe. But I think it will take quite a bit of money to beat it unless there's some specific attribute to the sound you're trying to improve.

Mar 5, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 31
Everyone says that the VR1's are hot stuff, but with your budget, as long as you buy used, I don't see how you can lose. You can always sell for what you got them for.

Mar 5, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 31
I highly recommend you purchace this without thought.

kurresma.gif

http://www.legendspeakers.com.au/kurrespe.htm

They cost about USD $960 RRP and you have to pay for freight but you wont be dissapointed.

I dont think they make much profit from this speaker.

I feel in love with the sound.

Mar 6, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Don't forget about Von Schweikert's VR-1 which can be had, used, for a little more than your $500 mark.

indeed, I got mine for $650 shipped on audiogon and they're in perfect condition. Loving every minute I use em
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 10:02 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Everyone says that the VR1's are hot stuff, but with your budget, as long as you buy used, I don't see how you can lose. You can always sell for what you got them for.

Kewl just did a search on these

They use Audax AP170Z0. The Kurre uses the Audax HDA variety.
I love the sweet midrange of these drivers. It gets it just right.

I dont really like Vifa tweeters, they are kinda harsh.

Mar 6, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 31
I really love the VR1. The top end is not harsh at all. Then again, I'm using a SET tube amp. The bass is excellent for such a small speaker. Everytime I think about upgrading, all I have to do is just play a disc and change my mind. You don't really need a sub at all; although I'll be adding the matching sub to see if it gets any better.

Mar 8, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 31
I couldn't find out how much watts your receiver puts out. But I have a TEAC AGH-500 that gives 20 watts at 8 ohms ("seems") similar to yours. I have Cambridge Soundworks Newton series M80's ($400), rear ported. These are 3 way speakers with an 8 inch woofer, so forget about a subwoofer. They sound awesome. Can I compare them to anything? Nope, cuz I don't have enough experience. I have a small room and a near field setup. Only problem: at low volume, which I prefer I have to boost the bass--easily solved by my equalizer. These speakers are larger than bookshelf, but my goodness they are esoteric! And if you don't like em send them back, no questions asked.

www.hifi.com

Mar 8, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 31
His MONSTER of an amp puts out 165 watts into 8ohms. If the specs are accurate, he can drive many a loudspeaker without problems.

Mar 8, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

His MONSTER of an amp puts out 165 watts into 8ohms. If the specs are accurate, he can drive many a loudspeaker without problems.

Not much difference between say 30W and 300W. Depends how good the amplification is.

Mar 8, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 31
I didn't mean sound quality, I meant spl and headroom. A 30watter will have trouble driving very inefficient speakers over 100db compared to a true 165 watter. The 165 watter should have a decent 6-7db advantage.

I've always been somewhat suspicious of the VR-1's...There seem to be an awful lot of people selling them on audiogon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back