Bookshelf speakers vs studio monitors and which ones to get?
Dec 14, 2014 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

aftalifex

New Head-Fier
Currently I have been using headphones for listening but I would like to get a nice set of speakers to add to my desk setup. Mainly for daytime listening or more casual listening but still with beautiful quality, also for the aesthetics. I don't really make music it would be just for listening to music, videos/ movies. If I bought speakers it would be a 2.0 setup with a dedicated amp and id use my little dot mkiv as a pre amp. I don't know much about studio monitors but from what I see you need some sort of interface to connect them to a computer properly, so for either speakers or monitors i would need an amp/ interface. I would like to spend south of $1000. What do you folks think is my best bet at this price range? I looked at the b and w 685s2 which seem nice...but maybe there is something out there better for the money. Any help is appreciated!

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 13
There are two types, passive and active. Passive require an external power amp. Active are self-powered and can be connected directly to a line level signal.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 13
Which do you think would be best in my price range? and what are some good sounding setups people seem to use? my first impression is that an external amp powering passive speakers would sound best as compared to built in amps...is this logical?

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 13
  Currently I have been using headphones for listening but I would like to get a nice set of speakers to add to my desk setup. Mainly for daytime listening or more casual listening but still with beautiful quality, also for the aesthetics. I don't really make music it would be just for listening to music, videos/ movies. If I bought speakers it would be a 2.0 setup with a dedicated amp and id use my little dot mkiv as a pre amp. I don't know much about studio monitors but from what I see you need some sort of interface to connect them to a computer properly, so for either speakers or monitors i would need an amp/ interface. I would like to spend south of $1000. What do you folks think is my best bet at this price range? I looked at the b and w 685s2 which seem nice...but maybe there is something out there better for the money. Any help is appreciated!

JBL LSR305 or Emotiva AirMotiv 5s studio monitors ($300-$350).
Asus Xonar DX sound card (used $60) or Schiit Modi DAC ($99).

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 13
You have a lot of flexibility in your price range which is great.  Will they be used on a desk, for near-field listening?

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 13
Yeah they will be on my desk...within 5 feet of me. Im not sure if I am going to get stands for right next to my desk or if i'm going to just keep them on my desk. Space isnt too much of an issue I just dont want the speakers to rattle everything on my desk.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 13
The Adam Audio F5 is often said to be the best for near-field listening.  I think they're sold individually, and they're active speakers so all you need is a DAC.  You'd have enough left over for an Audio GD NFB-11 or another quality DAC.  

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 13
on those Adam's they have an rca on each. As of now I have a usb dac (jds odac) that feeds rca to my little dot mkiv headphone amplifier then it goes to my sennheisers. But my headphone amp doubles as a pre amp. So can I use one rca from each of those speakers and plug it into my preamp? 

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 13
  DO you think the monitors would be better than a bookshelf setup?

I like the idea of not having a separate amplifier sitting on the desk.
The studio monitors have two amplifiers inside each monitor.
If your trying to fill up a room with sound and want a lot of thump, then passive speakers and an amplifier and separate sub-woofer make sense.
But for sitting at your desk with the speaker/monitors only a few feet away and your big on clarity in your sound, then the self-powered studio monitors make more sense to me.
I replaced my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 setup for a 2.0 studio monitor setup because at my age clarity is more important then thump.
(Age might be a relative thing as my physical body may show more maturity then my mental state).

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 13
Im big on clarity but I also dont want the speakers to be underwhelmingly quiet. Im in a pretty big room and if im cleaning it or just doing something not directly at my desk I still want good volume...im sure a nice set of studio monitors would do...but I just wonder if they would compare to a nice b and w 685 setup...with a NAD(or any other brand) dedicated amp and my little dot pre amp....im not really opposed to having an amp at my desk...I have plenty of room...what do you guys run?

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 13
  Im big on clarity but I also don't want the speakers to be underwhelmingly quiet. I'm in a pretty big room and if im cleaning it or just doing something not directly at my desk I still want good volume...I'm sure a nice set of studio monitors would do...but I just wonder if they would compare to a nice b and w 685 setup...with a NAD (or any other brand) dedicated amp and my little dot pre amp....I'm not really opposed to having an amp at my desk...I have plenty of room...what do you guys run?

If your willing to spend the cash for B & W and NAD, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back