bookshelf speakers + sub - how well does it work?
Apr 3, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #61 of 68
well, i just had mcgsxr and aerius over and i think mcgsxr now supports the possibility that the speakers would need a VERY good sub to support them.

who knows, it felt like after the tubes warmed up and we changed the cables there was some more bass?

i give up. no more thinking about this until may.

frown.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #62 of 68
Chaucer,

I had a pair of Michauras (very much like the M22ti) powered by a marantz 2245. This combo completely blew away my klipsch pro 4.1 in every way, qualitatively speaking. So I'd say go for it. It's pretty good for gaming as well, but you'll need a large desk.

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #63 of 68
Yeah, you basically have a floor standing full range speaker. You're not going to get away with a cheap sub like you would with something with less bass extension. Blending is going to be expensive. Like I said earlier, I would consider new speakers from the ground up
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #64 of 68
It was a pleasure meeting both aerius and tomek, and having the opportunity to listen to the speakers described in all this.

First off, what a nice tube amp driving the setup, and a very nice cd player also. The cables that aerius brought were good in the end, after lively debate and MANY swaps!

I do agree with tomek, that in the end, with the cables, and 4 odd hours of music, there was improved bass over when I first arrived.

Tomek is right, as I was leaving I did state that I think a very good sub will need to be used, to maintain the coherence of his system, while adding the bottom end.

A rather eclectic mix of tunes was spun, and it is only in hearing what someone listens to, on their system, that one can ATTEMPT to accurately make some suggestions.

Having been there, and heard that, I think that the Mirage tomek is talking about could work well, and failing that, I recommend a drive out to Dundas, to Alternative Audio, to listen to their REL gear - more money to be sure, but not crazy cash to get started.

Lastly, I doubt that tomek will need a monster sub - the music that I heard, would not likely be rewarding with such a creature. It is more likely that an accurate one is the ticket.

Great meeting you both, and having fun attempting to hear all the differences!

Mark
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #65 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by tomek
well, i just had mcgsxr and aerius over and i think mcgsxr now supports the possibility that the speakers would need a VERY good sub to support them.

who knows, it felt like after the tubes warmed up and we changed the cables there was some more bass?

i give up. no more thinking about this until may.

frown.gif

Yes May, when I come back home from waterloo and might have to bring over my tubes, cables and oneac and see if anything helps your bass.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Then you can give up.
wink.gif

Biggie.

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #66 of 68
yes lord biggie,

bring your magical toys to my house...

your old oneac is wrapped in my snow pants right now behind my rig so that i don't hear that hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #67 of 68
It was...interesting...when I first got there the speakers had no bass. It sounded like everything below 100Hz or so was gone, maybe the amp wasn't warmed up, maybe it's because the cables were brand new, who knows? I played a few tracks and was like "this sucks, this isn't the way it was before" since I've now heard tomek's system about hmmm well, quite a few times. So I gave up on my bass test CD (Tori Amos - From the Choirgirl Hotel) and we played a bunch of other stuff over the next few hours.

I think the general impression was that the bass had filled in some over that time so I went back to the CD I started with, and lo & behold the bass was there, and not only was it there it was enough to fill the room and you could feel it a bit. I'm the bass does indeed go down to 41Hz or whatever it was the spec sheet said, but it seems to lack a bit of kick & oomph that I've heard from other speakers. My theory is that the frequency response is dead flat or a little bit low from about 50-120Hz or so, while most other speakers have a hump in that region which I've grown accustomed to.

As for the oneac, go to Home Depot and get a sheet of 1" thick Styrofoam SM & some double sided tape. Make a box for the oneac that goes around all 6 sides and cut out small holes for the power cords as needed, you might even want to do a double layer of the Styrofoam. Then put it on a pillow and throw a blanket over it and I'm pretty damn sure you'll never hear it again.

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #68 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by aerius
As for the oneac, go to Home Depot and get a sheet of 1" thick Styrofoam SM & some double sided tape. Make a box for the oneac that goes around all 6 sides and cut out small holes for the power cords as needed, you might even want to do a double layer of the Styrofoam. Then put it on a pillow and throw a blanket over it and I'm pretty damn sure you'll never hear it again.

Make sure to leave the little guy some breathing room..

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back