Bookend-ing the HD600
Sep 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

georgelai57

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the Sennheiser HD600. I have read so much about the two models HD598 and HD650 that are just lower and higher (price, quality?) than the HD600. Would it be excessive to "bookend" the HD600 by also buying the other two? I would be very interested in the views of people who have owned all 3, whether at the same time or otherwise.

For the record, I have amps that should be able to drive the HD650 reasonably well (Furutech ADL GT40, iStreamer/Headstage Arrow combo) and my main musical tastes are rock, blues, R&B).

Thanks.

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
I have the Sennheiser HD600. I have read so much about the two models HD598 and HD650 that are just lower and higher (price, quality?) than the HD600. Would it be excessive to "bookend" the HD600 by also buying the other two? I would be very interested in the views of people who have owned all 3, whether at the same time or otherwise.
For the record, I have amps that should be able to drive the HD650 reasonably well (Furutech ADL GT40, iStreamer/Headstage Arrow combo) and my main musical tastes are rock, blues, R&B).
Thanks.

Heya,

They're just different flavors. Not necessarily lesser or better in quality. Price does not reflect anything on these three models. The HD650 is most definitely not better in any way. It's the same thing, but simply tuned a little differently, it's treble rolls off quickly making it less bright and it's mid bass is enhanced a touch so it sounds a touch warmer and boomier, but not in a big way, it's not as bassy as people seem to call it, it's just a warmer/darker sounding headphone in general to me. I think it's boring frankly. The HD598 on the other hand is the opposite of the HD650, very bright and forward mids and treble, but with a big roll off in bass, so it's less neutral in bass and outright anemic/hallow in some ways in bass, in particular sub-bass, but it's not bassless, just not as full or robust in bass as others; it really focuses on mids/treble. The HD600 is the middle ground, it has a pretty neutral response and has a decent amount of brightness, it doesn't have enhanced bass, and it has great extension in all ways. It just embodies what it means to have a neutral headphone that is excellent for everything. 

I think you've made the right choice getting the HD600 over the HD598 and HD650, as I see them as specialized flavors, and not the better overall choice unless you simply like your sound skewed towards one spectrum of frequency range or the other, which is what these two do.

In fact, if you're at all looking at more headphones, definitely get out of Sennheiser and start looking at new house signatures from other great headphone makers. Sennheiser is not the end-all-be-all. They make like 4~5 good headphones, the other 50 headphones they make are over-priced junk with a high price due to brand name.

Very best,

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi,

Thanks for your detailed answer. I'm glad I chose the 600 when I did. My other main headphones are SR325iS, DT880, AD700, M50, CAL, and K550. I'm tempted to add a AH-D2000 to my collection.

Cheers.

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 5
I basically agree with Mal, especially with regard to the bottom line.  I will mention that, although a fine and very comfortable can in its own right, the HD 598 is a step below the other two in terms or sound and build quality.

Unfortunately your timing is bad, if you are seriously considering picking up one of last of the discontinued D2000.  Its price just jumped by $70 on Amazon earlier today.

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 5
KG Jag - yeah I saw that USD70 jump too :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back