Book recommendation about psychoacoustics
Sep 12, 2010 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

aimlink

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone came across or read a book on psychoacoustics that would be understood by a non-academic or non-pro audience?

I'm particularly interested in it in relation to audio.  Biases and illusions created by expectations etc. would have to be covered as well.

There's not much to find on the Internet that's incisive.

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 12
i have this book. i rather enjoy it. i found it on accident at B&N when i went to go find books on the brain. they happened to have a display for books on the brain and this happened to be one of them. not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 12
Levitin's book is a great way to get into it! Great book for the daily commute, pick up and read anytime.
Although, you can skip the first few chapters on music theory if you're already familiar with it... otherwise IMHO there are better sources for that too.

Here's another one I just started reading:

"The Music Instinct: How Music Works and Why We Can't Do Without It"
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Instinct-Works-Cant-Without/dp/0199754276/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287016858&sr=8-1

I'm only a few chapters in but it's very promising, and even the music theory chapters have some very interesting details I wasn't aware of.

Also, check out the research coming out of the BRAMS lab (http://brams.org/). I just toured their facilities the other week. Jaw-dropping. There are some amazing individuals doing very interesting research there.

Enjoy!

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 12
I also thank you for the recommendations, looks very interesting.

aimlink, have you found what you were looking for, or in other words did you start reading yet and what?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I also thank you for the recommendations, looks very interesting.

aimlink, have you found what you were looking for, or in other words did you start reading yet and what?
smily_headphones1.gif

No, I haven't really.  I've been looking for information that addresses some of the things I experience and which I think would make comparative testing an issue in some situations.  The books available tend to give formal information on how we respond to music and why?  I'm not interested in that sort of thing.  I'm also not interested in the real nuts and bolts physiology either.  I'm just interested in information on how and why your ears will trick you.  How and why your hearing is influenced.  It doesn't have to be about music, but hearing in general.

What has spurred my interest has been all the debate on comparative tests blinded vs sited etc.

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 12
LIKE: Basic Social Skills and Likability Subconscious Morning Re-Programming Script by Daniel Ben Abraham https://danielbenabraham.com/like-h...s-morning-re-programming-script-affirmations/ - that's what I am reading at the moment. It is about how to make friends subconscious reprogramming NLP and how to improve your social skills in general. Probably one of the best books I've came across for the last 10 years and these years I read a lot of literature.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 12
LIKE: Basic Social Skills and Likability Subconscious Morning Re-Programming Script by Daniel Ben Abraham - that's what I am reading at the moment
This book seems to be the motivational message type. I remember reading some research suggesting that those systems work fairly well short term, with actual benefits. And there are several experiments validating a positive impact.
But long term, there could be a sort of backlash from the brain being told that we're something it knows we aren't and aren't becoming. That conflict seemed to push some people toward depression.
There might be something about how much we are ready and able to embrace the new me. Like imagining, I'm a math expert some time before taking a math test has apparently the potential for a positive impact on my test (not like I'm Jarod from The Pretender TV series, I don't magically know more, but maybe I relax more from that little play pretend game, and feel more confident while taking the test. Which in turn leads to better result).
But if I spend the next 6 months trying to convince myself that I'm a math expert every morning while looking in the mirror, I can easily imagine my brain taking it poorly at some point.

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 12
I think that book is a good recommendation for some members of this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back