Bonsai-fi anyone?
Sep 24, 2007 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

headphonejunkie

1000+ Head-Fier
Was just wondering if anyone has gotten into this hobby? It is another passion of mine. Nothing like the smell of fresh dirt in the morning.

Sep 24, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 32
I have a ficus benjamina, about 5 years old, and about 14" tall. The trunk is about 1" thick.

I also have a ginger ficus, about 3 years old. The bottom of the trunk is about an ince and a half thick, and the tree is about 6" tall. The poor things rides the short bus though.. all its brances come off on one side of the tree. I'm working on getting it to grow a few on the toher side, then it'll look like a prince. It has some pretty good nebari, however.

I hope you arent planting in dirt, that's not idela for bonsai.

My next purchase will be some Japanese Maple seedlings, and a fukien for indoors.

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always found bonsai-ing interesting. What about it drew you in?

I first got into karate/kung fu then later on I purchased a juniper bonsai; killed it and then just continued until I didn't kill them anymore. As of lately, I have been just keeping them in the gound and pruning them there. My wife doesn't enjoy the hobby.I would have to say that I have been into it on and off for about 12 years now.The last 3 years with some trees(a handful) in the ground.I have always been into art but am not a very good artist. Bonsai is a way of expressing yourself with small trees. You can shape them into different shapes and watch them grow. It has also taught me alot about trees themselves (i.e what it takes to keep them alive etc.).I find it as a form of meditation. It helps you forget about the days problems. You just concentrate on your trees.

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a ficus benjamina, about 5 years old, and about 14" tall. The trunk is about 1" thick.

I also have a ginger ficus, about 3 years old. The bottom of the trunk is about an ince and a half thick, and the tree is about 6" tall. The poor things rides the short bus though.. all its brances come off on one side of the tree. I'm working on getting it to grow a few on the toher side, then it'll look like a prince. It has some pretty good nebari, however.

I hope you arent planting in dirt, that's not idela for bonsai.

My next purchase will be some Japanese Maple seedlings, and a fukien for indoors.

I guess I should have said bonsai soil in the morning. You could make a windswept style on that ficus.

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 32
You should check out new england bonsai gardens in bellingham mass. They have an awesome assortment of bonsai and materials. I used to go there all of the time. I hate the place though. Everytime I went there I came back with a tree. Boy what a way to spend your money. I think it is more addicting than head-fi.I love it though. I have a chinese boxwood in the ground right now that must have at least a 2 1/2 inch trunk on it. Maybe this spring I will take it out of the ground.

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should check out new england bonsai gardens in bellingham mass. They have an awesome assortment of bonsai and materials. I used to go there all of the time. I hate the place though. Everytime I went there I came back with a tree. Boy what a way to spend your money. I think it is more addicting than head-fi.I love it though. I have a chinese boxwood in the ground right now that must have at least a 2 1/2 inch trunk on it. Maybe this spring I will take it out of the ground.

It's funny just today I was mapping it out to see how far away that place is from my girlfriend's college. I'm dying to get a Japanese Maple going.

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 32
That is the place to go. You won't be sorry. Bring lots of money.

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 32
Just wanted to add that this isn't the best time to try a japanese maple. I would stick with tropical species for now since winter is coming. Unless you can find a tropical maple there. Maples will want to sleep for the winter and will need to go dormant for the winter months.

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 32
I live a short drive away from the National Arboretum in DC. The world bonsai museum there is one of the finest ever. 400 year old black pines, anyone? They have trees there that are owned by royalty and have survived world wars. It is friggin amazing!!!

Here is an old shot of my daughter (then 4) in front of a few American species...

bonsai2.jpg

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 32
Those are some awesome trees. Mine are maybe 10 years old?

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny just today I was mapping it out to see how far away that place is from my girlfriend's college. I'm dying to get a Japanese Maple going.

I don't think a japanese maple would be right for this time of year. I would try a chinese elm. These are great indoor trees with the right window lighting and can last all year long with no problems.

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to add that this isn't the best time to try a japanese maple. I would stick with tropical species for now since winter is coming. Unless you can find a tropical maple there. Maples will want to sleep for the winter and will need to go dormant for the winter months.

Well, yeah I know that. I don't have the best conditions for one right now either, since it might get taken off my porch.

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 32
No problem. I just wasn't sure how much experience you have had with bonsai.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back