Bonsai-fi anyone?
Sep 25, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think a japanese maple would be right for this time of year. I would try a chinese elm. These are great indoor trees with the right window lighting and can last all year long with no problems.

Hi,

I always wanted to get into bonsai. I thought (I am in boston) indoor bonsai is very hard to keep. Since you are in CT, assuming similar weather conditions with Boston, do you keep them indoors or outdoors?

Thanks,
P.K.

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #17 of 32
Yes, indoor bonsai are not as easy. At my last house I was lucky enough to have a bay window with a southern exposure. So, I was able to keep some bonsai thru the winter. You do need a lot of light though. I have read that you can use grow lights but I have never tried that.Ficus are an easier tree and I did have lots of luck with chinese elms.

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #18 of 32
So what would be a good starter tree? Something that can deal with a bonsai n00b a little better.

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #20 of 32
My dad tried one years ago and killed it, lets see if I can do better! Now to find somewhere around here that sells the stuff I need...

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #21 of 32
Seeds
Soil
Fertilizer
Pruning Gear
Pot
Spray bottle
Wire

Anything I'm missing? Maybe an evaporation/humidity tray?

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #22 of 32
A humidity tray is good to give extra moisture in the air. Misting works good too. You can mist the tree occasionally to simulate a more humid climate. Unfortunately, bonsai take a while to get used to. I cannot remember how many small trees I killed trying to learn. Each tree has its own requirements. Now, I am growing them in the ground. Of course that makes them garden trees not bonsai. A good book on growing bonsai helps a lot too. Later tonight I will have to post some of the books I have that have proven to be helpful for me.

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #23 of 32
If anyone is interested in a book on the subject I have found the book " the complete book of bonsai" by harry tomlinson to be a great one. It covers everything you need to know on the subject.This was one of my first books and is quite good.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #25 of 32
I know I am talking trees. Isn't a calico a cat?

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #26 of 32
What an interesting thread. Thank you all for sharing.

Quote:

" the complete book of bonsai" by harry tomlinson

Thank you for this suggestion. I just ordered one off Amazon. I'm pretty psyched about this hobby!
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #27 of 32
Hi,

Can anyone recommend me a good starter kit?

I'm thinking of buying 2 sets, on for myself, and another as a christmas gift to my sister. A list of items/brand would be great. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #28 of 32
When buying online, please be very shoosy on who you buy from. The only place I ahve used so far is Miami Tropical Bonsai. My tree was in great shape, and you can tell it was grown bonsai. many places will jut take a random bust, cut it down, stick it in a pot, and sell it. the other place to use (I have not used them YET... I will soon for my Japanese Maple) is evergreen garden works.

You haveto answer this question first: will the tree be kept inside?

If so, limit yourself to a ficus. Some say you can also grow a chinese elm indoors too, but I would reccomend the ficus as it is hardy... meaning hard to kill
wink.gif

When buying from miami tropical bonsai: it will ship ina plastic pot. It is fine to keep it in there... you'll want to pickup a tray to put underneath it. I bought the tray to a window planter from home depot. cost me a few bucks. Its only used for humidity, and to catch the water that will run out of the bonsai pot when you water it. The only other real thing you'll need right off the bat is a watering can (or oyu can be cheap like me, and make holes in the top of a bottle
smily_headphones1.gif
) and maybe pruing shears. I just bought a $6 pair of fiskars at homedepot. That sould be all you'll really NEED. When it comes time to repot, youll need to research soil, but you have a book already, so you might already be in the know!

Have fun!

Sep 29, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What an interesting thread. Thank you all for sharing.

Thank you for this suggestion. I just ordered one off Amazon. I'm pretty psyched about this hobby!
biggrin.gif

Its a great book. There is a lot of great illustrations.

Sep 29, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #30 of 32
Buying online can be hazardous. Most likely, you will get a substandard tree. you know, not there best choice. That is why I like going in person. Then you can choose a tree with good lines, nebari, etc.Although most starter trees do not have too much of that anyway. I like to go to a bonsai place and get a 45 dollar tree. You want to make sure you can keep them alive first before you start spending a lot of money on them.I spent 300 dollars for a tree once only to kill it trying to keep it over the winter. I am sure miami bonsai has good trees too.You should be happy with what they give you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back