Bobby Fischer died...
Jan 19, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #16 of 29
It was the interest in Fischer and his success in chess that got me hooked on chess. I still play it and get a lot of personal satisfaction teaching/coaching elementary age kids the game.

If it wasn't for him, I probably would never have learned to play and be doing what I do today. Despite his being nuts, I still respect him for his genius.

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #17 of 29
i am a chess fiend, and have a lot of respect for both the game and the world class players who show creativity and innovation outside of textbook attacks and defense.
on the chessboard, fischer was one whom i admired greatly. off of it, he was in desperate need of treatment and therapy, but i'm guessing it all played a role in his mad genius.

Jan 19, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RIP, Bobby. This gentleman was a chess prince. Because of his influence, I regained my interest in the game.

He was also very anti jewish, & a hate munger.. Can't say I'm sorry to see him go..

Jan 19, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea I would say Bobby Fischer was a chess hero of mine. But I would also say Chess is kind of a sad sport now with computers and all--> finite number of squares (64) and pieces who movements cannot change kind of gives the win to a computer each time. Any computer with enough processing power can beat any human.

Funny thing is I am in the technology field, used to play chess and now because of tech I do not like chess as much. (I just play speed chess now.
frown.gif
)

But one of BF's quotes resonated with me-- regarding how he would like to *randomize* chess to make it a more even playing field.

Believe it or not -- all his other quotes-- regarding ethnic groups, America, etc-- I did not even know until today.

Also re: Searching for BF-- I bet GM Josh (cannot think of his last name) who Searching for... is about is really sad today.

Did you call chess a sport?
cool.gif

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #20 of 29
Such a tremendous loss and one of the top 10 most brilliant minds of the century. I feel he was treated unfairly in his later years. Controlled to the point of madness, one might say. Glad to see the civilized nation of Iceland lend him a hand.

God bless Bobby. Rest in peace.

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool.gif

I'd say chess is a sport. I suppose if you wanted to be picky you could call it a mental sport, but a sport nonetheless.

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know a lot of people that are anti jewish,I have a lot of respect for the Jewish people.

When I lived in Asuncion, Paraguay there was a Nazi war criminal that lived right up the street. He kept a very low profile. Wonder if he was ever identified.

Jan 19, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back [way back] in my college years, Bobby Fischer and Evel Knievel were two people who I read up on. A strange pairing in retrospect, and I even wrote a paper on Bobby. This year, both dead. All the people I knew of growing up are dying off. No one seems to be filling their shoes, either. Laz

Evil Knievel = Robbie "Captain" Knieval
Bobby Fischer = John Mcenroe

I think those "extreme" people/personalities are still out there, just that our world, it's media and level of importance has changed.

Bobby was certainly a brillant chess player, genius to chess, but genius to anything else I would question. He was eccentric from the onset, perhaps even because of chess pressures from an early age. Especially in a time of such high tension. I think the question is was it really a healthy thing? For him or for the world? In retrospect it certainly deflated some tension in the cold war, alleviated a little of the potential to hit the wrong button. For him? Perhaps good, perhaps bad. Good that he should enjoy and achieve such greatness in something, but two-edged in how that same greatness cut apart his mind and emotions.

In history we have seen many great people have very egocentric personalities and/or disorders such as Beethoven, etc. I think Bobby fit into that category. I hope that now he can find the peace he seemed to so need.

Jan 19, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #25 of 29
Conceited person, but rightfully so....

“I don’t play the old chess,” he told reporters when he arrived in Iceland in 2005. “But obviously if I did, I would be the best.”

wow....

He's a hero of mine....although I haven't kept up with chess as of late, when I did play, he was my inspiration (who didn't have him as inspiration??).

As far as him being odd and whatnot, what genius' aren't easy to talk to or a bit "off"?

On a side note....check out one fo the stories below that article, lol:

When my daughter found Britney on my iPod... - Field Notes - msnbc.com

Jan 21, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #26 of 29
The possible darker side of BF's death:

Bobby Fischer Murdered?

I can't vouch for the truthfulness of what this link will lead you to - it may be pure conjecture. As Jeff Rense says: We deliver - You decide.

Laz

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The possible darker side of BF's death:

Bobby Fischer Murdered?

I can't vouch for the truthfulness of what this link will lead you to - it may be pure conjecture. As Jeff Rense says: We deliver - You decide.

Laz

There has been nothing about it up here and that does surprise me as some of the media here considers blogs to be a good source of information...
rolleyes.gif

In other news Bobby's funeral was today in the south of Iceland about 100km from Reykjavik.

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool.gif

Why not? I lettered in band during high school!
eek.gif

Requisat in pacem, Bobby. May you find the peace that eluded you here.

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah mixed feelings, but definitely want to get out and watch Searching For Bobby Fischer again.

Doing this would be an insult to his memory, as he was in exile while the movie was released and unable to sue to get any money from them using his name and character so much (without his permission). Or at least, that's what he said.

Kingsley's performance is quite memorable though, as I recall.

I was also sad to hear of his passing. I had a going dream the last few years where he'd return to the world and play some chess publicly again. Most say he would never be anywhere near his performance of old though. He used to play numerous games on different boards all over his house all day, trying to beat himself. He designed some kind of randomizer device to change the game of chess by mixing up the head pieces, but apparently it never caught on. I still feel he was an interesting and important man in the last century, even if after 9/11 he praised the attacks on America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back