Bob Carver Black Magic 20
Nov 15, 2012 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Hooster

Headphoneus Supremus
This might interest you guys:

http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/bob-carver-black-magic-20-stereo-power-amplifier/

"On a lark, I decided to make up a 1/4″ stereo jack to banana plug adapter and drove my Etymonic ER-4S in-ear headphones from the speaker terminals. The Etymonic ER-4S are a high impedance design requiring watts rather than milliwatts to drive properly. The Black Magic 20 did a remarkable job as a headphone amplifier. The noise floor was very low and the dynamics outstanding. Bob Carver could add icing to the cake by providing a headphone jack on the front panel. There’s an empty spot calling out for one on the right. And lest you think I’m crazy, my mastering instructor uses a Bryston power amp for his headphones, and he has over 200 gold and platinum records and 10 Grammys to his credit."

There is a picture of the adapter he made up. Seems like a nice way to use this amp. Does anyone here have it?

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 4
Lovely amp. The author made the cable himself, it's basically 4x banana plugs into a female 1/4" headphone jack. Join the negatives.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 4
cool.  I had Carver i series amps in my accord in the late 80s when I was competing in IASCA events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back