BMW Unveils World's Fastest Hydrogen-Powered Car
Sep 24, 2004 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
capt.03b37b02bc086f65aa972a7e38f34165

BMW's H2R, the world's fastest hydrogen-powered car, was unveiled at the Paris auto show on Wednesday. The car is capable of exceeding 300 kilometers (185 miles) per hour.

The H2R doesn't operate on a fuel cell as most hydrogen-powered vehicles, but rather uses a modified 6-litre, 12-cylinder combustion engine for its propulsion that essentially emits nothing but steam.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...mw_hydrogen_dc

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...nt_2015290.htm

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 22
If you read between the lines you will see that this is not about fast cars but about the potential for clean fuel technology.

I am impressed.

Give me a 100mph car which costs less than 10c per mile to run and doesnt emit anything but clean drinking water and I will pay $100.000 for it provided you give me lifetime warranty and service
wink.gif

Cant wait for this tech to take over the world...cleaner air, less noise (headfi will love this) and cheaper running costs.

YAY!

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
When I look at that thing, it just screams out Hey, I'm better than you!...lol It looks like they took a perfectly innocent Z4 and poopified it. Anyway, pretty neat, although completely pointless...really, the race for fastest car ended a long time ago imo.

Good grief, talk about missing the point!

This isn't about trying to be the fastest car, it's about the fact that it runs on hydrogen and emits nothing but steam! Think about that, if these types of cars take off, that means a LOT less population and whole lot less dependency on oil! I hope to own a hydrogen-powered car one day, I am excited about this techology and I really hope it takes off.

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 22
That has got to be one of, if not the, most phallic car I've ever seen.

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
That has got to be one of, if not the, most phallic car I've ever seen.

Freud would be impressed
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
The H2R doesn't operate on a fuel cell as most hydrogen-powered vehicles, but rather uses a modified 6-litre, 12-cylinder combustion engine for its propulsion that essentially emits nothing but steam.

I think that is actually why BMW is making such a big deal out of this. BMW has been publicing their hydrogen-based technology for years, but this is probably the first time they're able to make something *sporty*, which is essential to their products.

http://www.autointell-news.com/europ.../bmw-5-as1.htm

I think the greatest obstacle to the whole thing is refueling. For such new fuels to take off they need to come up with engines that take both hydrogen and gas, and I think that's no small task.

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Good grief, talk about missing the point!

This isn't about trying to be the fastest car, it's about the fact that it runs on hydrogen and emits nothing but steam! Think about that, if these types of cars take off, that means a LOT less population and whole lot less dependency on oil! I hope to own a hydrogen-powered car one day, I am excited about this techology and I really hope it takes off.

Are you kidding? With the advent of hydrogen-based fuels, the world will be at the mercy of Iceland as it corners the world's fuel market.

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
really, the race for fastest car ended a long time ago imo.

VAG, especially Bugatti, missed that memo. And DaimlerChrysler (especially the MB division) has gone horsepower-bonkers, which more or less leads to the same result.

The need for (more) speed is ALWAYS going to be there.

~KS

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 22
More info is here: http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_102564/newsarticle.html

gsferrari is right: it's all about the emissions improvement: avoiding NOx emissions in the process is a great achievement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Cant wait for this tech to take over the world...cleaner air, less noise (headfi will love this) and cheaper running costs.

Anyway I have a doubt here. It's a typical internal 4-stroke combustion engine. The noise level would be still far away of dead silent Stirling engine.

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBomm
Hydrogen is everywhere.

I believe Born2bwire was referring to something like this.

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
More info is here: http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_102564/newsarticle.html

gsferrari is right: it's all about the emissions improvement: avoiding NOx emissions in the process is a great achievement.

Anyway I have a doubt here. It's a typical internal 4-stroke combustion engine. The noise level would be still far away of dead silent Stirling engine.

Good points. Besides - producing the H2 will involve the use of fuels unless they use solar power.

I say - everyone take a bicycle and shroud in in a streamlined body, add two seats with pedals in the back so that everyone contributes (flintstones style) and add enough gears to make any hill easily traversable alone or with a full "car"
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back