Bluetooth headset?
Aug 1, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #16 of 26
I tried the jawbone and I have to give it a double Ugh. Cnet totally missed the boat, or I was expecting Ferrari when I got a ford.

This is how it all went down.. The thing is $130 at Best Buy. Best buy price matched jawbone.com's price. It was black. I left the store feeling mighty good about it all. Even picked up a 12v USB adapter that goes in your cigarette lighter so I could charge it while sitting in traffic on my way to work.

The packaging was stellar. Then I opened the box.

the charger fits over the back end of the earpiece. It's just a hard rubber/plastic cradle thingy that refused to keep itself "latched" to the earpiece. I had to use a small Clamp on the sides to keep it on the earpiece so it would get its all important, initial charge.

Once charged (the little light is red while charging, white when charged) I had the great opportunity to fit the damned thing to my skull.

It is packaged with different ear sleeves that cooporate with the loop to fit around the back of the ear. There are seperate left and right ear loops, as well as Long and Regular lengths. I tried combinations of them all. The little sleeve with the lip fit the best with the long ear loop, as long as I gave it a little tweek.

It takes a bit of practice to get the thing into my ear. I had to come in from the back, like surprising an alligator. Slip the thing behind my ear and swing it in before the ear loop had a change to realize what was going on and put up a fight.

After about two hours of wearing it I was in great pain. It physically hurt me to wear it.

I tried the slip the regular ear loop back in, but the "pin" that slides into the ear piece was actually bigger in diameter on the long one, and the regular earloop would no longer stay securely in the hole.

How did I sound? Well I gave it the unofficial "Dad call." and he didn't complain about ambient noise while driving down the interstate in an old truck.

How did my dad sound? I don't know, I had to keep pushing the earpiece into my ear so I could hear him which led to more pain and discomfort.

The buttons, volume and end/answer call buttons were very difficult to press. I tried to hold onto the ear piece with a couple fingers while pressing, but couldn't do it. I just grimaced while I shoved the earpiece further down my ear canal trying to press the button to answer a call.

I'm so glad Best Buy has a 30 day return policy.

So i picked up the Plantronics discovery 665. The vehicle charger was making my day. Again though. that Call/answer button was so damned hard to push. Keep moving the earpiece out of its ideal location while trying to call or answer.

Enter new truck. The new truck provided a SIGNIFICANTLY quieter ride so I'm sticking with my Plantronics discovery 640. Has an adapter so the mini USB cable that I charge my Motorola Razr with, fits.

If you think my wife was unhappy about dropping over a Franklin for a bluetooth headset, imagine her shock and awe when I pulled up in a new truck saying, problem solved.

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #17 of 26
I've been toying with the idea of picking up a

Jabra BT320

This, I can use my shures to listen to the phone call. its got its own mic, but i'm sure its a different charger port than the mini USB.

Why, oh why can't we have gas caps all on the same side? Belt Loops in the same places? And the same freaking charger for all these gadgets?

Aug 1, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fidelity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the jawbone and I have to give it a double Ugh. Cnet totally missed the boat, or I was expecting Ferrari when I got a ford.

This is how it all went down.. The thing is $130 at Best Buy. Best buy price matched jawbone.com's price. It was black. I left the store feeling mighty good about it all. Even picked up a 12v USB adapter that goes in your cigarette lighter so I could charge it while sitting in traffic on my way to work.

The packaging was stellar. Then I opened the box.

the charger fits over the back end of the earpiece. It's just a hard rubber/plastic cradle thingy that refused to keep itself "latched" to the earpiece. I had to use a small Clamp on the sides to keep it on the earpiece so it would get its all important, initial charge.

Once charged (the little light is red while charging, white when charged) I had the great opportunity to fit the damned thing to my skull.

It is packaged with different ear sleeves that cooporate with the loop to fit around the back of the ear. There are seperate left and right ear loops, as well as Long and Regular lengths. I tried combinations of them all. The little sleeve with the lip fit the best with the long ear loop, as long as I gave it a little tweek.

It takes a bit of practice to get the thing into my ear. I had to come in from the back, like surprising an alligator. Slip the thing behind my ear and swing it in before the ear loop had a change to realize what was going on and put up a fight.

After about two hours of wearing it I was in great pain. It physically hurt me to wear it.

I tried the slip the regular ear loop back in, but the "pin" that slides into the ear piece was actually bigger in diameter on the long one, and the regular earloop would no longer stay securely in the hole.

How did I sound? Well I gave it the unofficial "Dad call." and he didn't complain about ambient noise while driving down the interstate in an old truck.

How did my dad sound? I don't know, I had to keep pushing the earpiece into my ear so I could hear him which led to more pain and discomfort.

The buttons, volume and end/answer call buttons were very difficult to press. I tried to hold onto the ear piece with a couple fingers while pressing, but couldn't do it. I just grimaced while I shoved the earpiece further down my ear canal trying to press the button to answer a call.

So i picked up the Plantronics discovery 665. The vehicle charger was making my day. Again though. that Call/answer button was so damned hard to push. Keep moving the earpiece out of its ideal location while trying to call or answer.

Enter new truck. The new truck provided a SIGNIFICANTLY quieter ride so I'm sticking with my Plantronics discovery 640. Has an adapter so the mini USB cable that I charge my Motorola Razr with, fits.

If you think my wife was unhappy about dropping over a Franklin for a bluetooth headset, imagine her shock and awe when I pulled up in a new truck saying, problem solved.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the Jawbone. My experience has been pretty much flawless and it works as advertised. BTW, you can buy it directly from Cingular/ATT stores for $119.00 and they have a return policy too.

Aug 1, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #19 of 26
How's the Motorola MOTOROKR S9? I almost pulled the trigger on buying these but held back because I read the reviews on Amazon.

Has anyone here personally tried them? Any good?

41LArj87BeL._SS400_.jpg

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #20 of 26
I have used quite a few different bluetooth headsets but, the best resource I found to get an impartial view on them can be found at http://www.bluetoothheadsetreviewsite.com , they are constantly adding new headset reviews. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #23 of 26
Jaybirds have serious tehcnical problems.  My pair's battery expanded, forcing the case open and rendering them inoperable.  Jaybird offered to sell me a new pair, discounted, though their discounted price was higher than Amazon's.  Switched to Senn.  Way better

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #24 of 26
My Jaybirds were awful. If you're okay with on-ears (they're light), consider the Sennheiser PX210 if you can find them. These are the best sounding BT headphones I've heard and have none of the range problems of the MMs.

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #26 of 26
I really like my LG Tone + (HBS-730) (not the HBS 700...the original tone).  It has the aptX technology and gives great sound for the price point. I had more complaints of folks on the other end of hte phone call using the plantronics voyager legend and jawbone era.  People hear me just fine with this.  I love it.  It hides under my collar and people don't even know I have it on.  The best hting about it is crazy good battery life. 10 hours of playback; 16 hours talk time.  15 days of standby.  KILLS my old jawbone!  Love it! Also -- isolates noise for bus/train listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back