Bluetooth earphones with SEPARATE buttons for volume and music

1. arg0
    I listen to a variety of podcasts and I find myself frequently adjusting the volume and jumping forward and back in time. So I really appreciate Bluetooth headphones having remote controls with separate buttons for controlling the volume and music. Ideally, they have 6 buttons (vol+, vol-, answer call, rew, fwd, play/pause), although a 5-buttons design (integrated call and play/pause) works almost equally well.
    My Sony SBH80 recently broke down and I realised that there are very few, if any, such earphones currently on the market. I also could not come up with an easy way to find them with a web search.

So, the aim of this thread is to make a list of such earphones.I will start with the few ones I know and add any one you suggest to the list.

Bluetooth earphones with remotes having separate buttons (or touch controls) for volume and music:
    - Sony MW600 (2009, shirt clip)
    - Sony SBH20 (2012, shirt clip)
    - Sony SBH80 (2014, neckband)
    - Sony SBH52 (2014, shirt clip)
    - Sony SBH54 (2015, shirt clip)

- LG HBS-730 Tone+ (2013, neckband)
    - LG HBS-800 (2014, neckband)
    - LG HBS-900 Tone Infinim (2014, neckband)
    - LG HBS-850 (2015, neckband)
    - LG HBS-910 Tone Infinim (2016, neckband)
    - LG HBS-A100 (2016, neckband)
    - LG HBS-1100 (2016, neckband)
    - LG HBS-750 Tone Pro (2016, neckband)
    - LG HBS-820 Tone Ultra (2017, neckband)
    - LG HBS-920 Tone Infinim (2018, neckband)

- Mpow Jaws V4.1 (2015?, neckband)

- EarStudio ES100 (2017, shirt clip)

- Master & Dynamic MW07 (2018, true wireless)

- APEKX Clip / Bluebyte Clip / Castell / Griffin iTrip / Jumbl (since 2012, shirt clip)

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 5:58 PM
  2. mrbubbles
    SBH50, SBH20 (re-released as SBH24 -rewind/forward button +usb C, Sony went with the same setup on the new SBH56).

This is a product category that's unfortunately not getting a whole lot of innovation as most BT headset/earsets are integrated, which personally to me is a no-no as the batteries will be hard to find when they die out a few years down the road.

I went from SBH20, SBH50, SBH52 knockoff, to FIIO μBTR. Still have SBH20, and the battery is not what it used to be (it wasn't that great to begin with). SBH50 and SBH52 is now retired.

I got the μBTR as I wanted USB C, aptx, longer battery life, and a shirt clip type over 5/6 separate buttons.

My ideal BT clip would be μBTR/SBH50 size with 5 separate buttons, usb C, and 10+hr battery life.

3. arg0
    Indeed I share you point about battery life and I'm looking for a rather inexpensive unit that I can replace when the battery eventually gives up. I know, it's not ideal, but I prefer the neckband type because it's tangle-free with respect to the shirt clip / portable amp.

I used to have a Sony MW600 and I ended up attaching it to the neck band of my Sennheiser PMX 100 after cutting its cord short. It looks a bit weird, but it worked. I still use it sometimes, but now I prefer earbuds for my commutes.

4. Rickyearl
    Not 100% sure this is what you mean, but MW07 has a volume rocker on one ear and a play/pause on the other ear. Actual buttons, not "a touch sensitive surface."

5. arg0
    I prefer actual buttons, but touch stripes or pads are also fine, as long as they control music playback and volume separately (e.g., no tap vs long press).
    The MW600 has a touch strip for volume control and man I hated that. I still have it around, attached to an old pair of Senn PMX100s but tend not to use it exactly for this reason.

The MW07 seem great, I've added them to the list.
    But they're way above my budget: I need new earphones for commuting and don't expect to last them more than a few years at most. Though I managed 3 with my SBH80 and actually still don't understand why the microphone suddenly stopped working (they didn't get wet, overly bent, sat on, etc.). Also, I need at least 5-6 hours of battery life.

Any other neckbands, apart those from LG?