Bluetooth aptX conversion for headsets like Sennheiser HD 6XX
Aug 15, 2018 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

James35

New Head-Fier
Ever since I saw the Z Review of the newest Bluetooth receivers, I've been using them and I'm also impressed as he is. So I converted 2 of my Sennheisers to use them. In case anyone was interested, I thought I'd share how I added it to my HD 6XX.

_MG_2278m.jpg
_MG_2280m.jpg
_MG_2282m.jpg

I tried 2 different Mpow receivers, but actually preferred the TaoTronics aptX-LL primarily for the aptX low latency and the volume buttons work more intuitively. On the Mpow, you have to hold the volume button to change volume. A quick single click will unintentionally skip to next track. It's opposite on the TaoTronics (quick click for volume change, hold for track change).

Many bluetooth devices have the ability to work with TaoTronics receiver, but there is a lag unless you have Bluetooth with aptX-LL. For my PC's, I tried 4 different bluetooth transmitters I prefered the Avantree Leaf.
The Avantree Leaf Bluetooth transmitter is designed to show up as a sound card. It only transmits sound (you can't use it for mice, keyboards, etc.).

To tell my computer to switch it's primary sound device quickly, I use a free small tool called Audio Switcher
So I can use a keystroke like Ctrl-Alt-1 for my primary sound card, and Ctrl-Alt-2 for the Avantree Leaf. I can also use voice recognition (I love VoiceAttack for that) to make the switch as well.

I soldered up my own shorter 20 GA silicone cable with Sennheiser connectors with the 90 degree stereo connector. Total cost was less than $65 for all of it (transmitter, receiver, cable parts, etc.)

Conclusion:
I love it. For sound quality, we have reached the laws of diminishing returns already with Bluetooth. I think they'll improve latency and range even further in the future, but wow! I'm having a really hard time telling the difference between my Bluetooth connection and a wired connection to my DAC! The range is great, I can walk throughout 3/4's of the house without degradation. It powers my Sennheisers for nearly 15 hours on a charge.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 15
That's a brilliant idea! I've got someone who would absolutely love an HD650, but who would never be able to use it without a Bluetooth connection. Thanks for the inspiration.

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 15
Yeah, I love having no wires hanging down and the fact that I can walk around the office and house while I'm doing projects. With wired connection, even walking from one end of the office to the other was not practical. I'm pretty sure we are seeing the start of the wireless era. Lag is not a concern when playing music, but for everything else it is. This setup I'm using is Bluetooth 4.1 with aptX-LL which brings the lag down to 40ms (0.04 seconds). Surprisingly, I can't even feel that 40ms lag when playing games on the PC. Bluetooth 5.0 is about to take off, and I'm thinking that wires will be a thing of the past soon.

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 15
This is great. I am new to the audiophile world and want to get a set of closed back planar headphones and connect the fido brt5 like you did. I think it would be easier to find a pair that has only one side jack instead of two like you have made a cable for. I wanted to hear your thoughts on both what headphones would be the best for up $1200 to set up exactly what you have done (connect the bluetooth receiver to the headphones with no dangling wires). If you suggest a custom made cable, do you make and sell them? Lastly I saw this solution and this is what originally got me thinking this is a good idea.

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 15
This is great. I am new to the audiophile world and want to get a set of closed back planar headphones and connect the fido brt5 like you did. I think it would be easier to find a pair that has only one side jack instead of two like you have made a cable for. I wanted to hear your thoughts on both what headphones would be the best for up $1200 to set up exactly what you have done (connect the bluetooth receiver to the headphones with no dangling wires). If you suggest a custom made cable, do you make and sell them? Lastly I saw this solution and this is what originally got me thinking this is a good idea.

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 15
ee01b97cbc90ec59b449d4731086f45a.jpg

Haha thats a LOT cleaner than whatever I have going on right now, ordered parts for custom cables though...

Im using Avantree Oasis Plus BT transmitter, it just connects with optical cable to PC so works with any OS without any drivers and settings and it does aptx LL and HD(switch on the side changes mode), it also has optical passthrough so you can also connect your external DAC and both work at the same time, great range too.

With LL mode I can even play CSGO no problem and Im pretty picky about my gear.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 15
ee01b97cbc90ec59b449d4731086f45a.jpg

Haha thats a LOT cleaner than whatever I have going on right now, ordered parts for custom cables though...

Im using Avantree Oasis Plus BT transmitter, it just connects with optical cable to PC so works with any OS without any drivers and settings and it does aptx LL and HD(switch on the side changes mode), it also has optical passthrough so you can also connect your external DAC and both work at the same time, great range too.

With LL mode I can even play CSGO no problem and Im pretty picky about my gear.

Wonderful. Is anyone insterested in making a custom cable for a set of closed back planar headphones that goes to the Fiio BTR5?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 15
Hallo!! I am new to the forum, I hope I can write here and I am not breaking any rules. Otherwise please excuse me.

I refloat this topic because I received my HD6XX a few days ago and I truly love them. The comfort, the sound, the detail everything. Only thing is that, the cable is not very practical, coming from sony bluetooth cans, which way worse sound, worse comfort, but wireless flexibility. Often I have to jump from the chair. I was thingking about a 3m cable, and then an optional 3m extension cable. Just to go to the fridge that is 6 meters away... Too much hassle I think...

I am definitely going to jump into this kind of mod. Since it's 2020 now, I was wondering if someone has done something like this with an LDAC bluetooth receiver. I am interested on the HiBy W3, 50$ shipped. Not sure if it will be powerful enough for 300 Ohms headphones... not sure about battery duration... Maybe Fiio are better for this application? I will use it first with the regular 1.5m cable, but I will then design a similar mini cable like the one in this thread.

Feb 10, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 15
Wonderful. Is anyone insterested in making a custom cable for a set of closed back planar headphones that goes to the Fiio BTR5?
I would happily build and solder for you a cable, but, what exact headphones do you plan on using, what is the impedance? some of those planar headphones need a ton of power, no? Like the Fostex T50p

Mar 15, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 15
They don't mention which Bluetooth Codec it is, so it's probably SBC, which is not good. If you listen to just music, then you want aptX-HD. If you do anything with a computer, like playing games, then you want aptX Low Latency. Remember, your Bluetooth transmitter needs to have the Codec too. I use mine at my computer, so I wanted Low Latency. So I went with the Avantree Leaf transmitter.

Wireless audio codecAudio delay
aptX™ HD≥ 250ms
aptX™ Low Latency~ 40ms
aptX™~ 70ms
FastStream~ 40ms
SBC (most standard Bluetooth audio codec)~ 220ms

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 15
LDAC running at 990 kbps from 2.5mm balanced out on an ES100 should drive the Senns to some degree. BT has a long way to go still, mostly latency wise. No codec we have right now is lossless, and combining lossless with very low latency is something we'll hopefully see in the future here.

Jan 2, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #14 of 15
I got a btr5 a month ago or so, very happy with it, can drive the 6xx from SE connector no problem. Not ear bleeding, but loud enough. And then it has the balanced connection, for anyone interested, on that connection it can make you bleed with the 6xx if you want.

Apr 24, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 15
20210423-214513.jpg

I used the Mpow BH390A, it drives my HD660s surprisingly well, also thanks to their impedence relatively low, it supports AptX HD, and it couples rapidly with my phone and my computer, automatically and simultaneously. The position I chose for the Mpow allows me to quickly pause and change the volume or song. The custom cable is below the headband, to minimise cable clutter. It fits well, I just had to be delicate though when I put back the headband.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back