Bluetooth and TWS things worthy of hardcore audiophile kinda Thread
Dec 28, 2022 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

NymPHONOmaniac

Headphoneus Supremus
EDIT: So my quest was very bad! (I just try the Monster Adventurer Max and give up.)
And then go back to TWS IEM curiosity, and hopes.
And then decide this thread should be that: sharing about all the true ''audiophile approved'' TWS products, IEMS, HP, Speakers and DAC-AMPs way. Kinda no bs way if we can....

Before Ldac codec, i just can't handle bluetooth. Then it was lack of good DAC and amps for most TWS IEMS, so in that regard lets not talk about Speakers enh...
But some TWS like Final ZE8000 and even more Hifiman Svanar Wireless make me wonder

Let's assume we are a bit snobbish TWS wise. Chill way. let's try to collect all valuable Bluetooth product here with one prime rule: they can deliver high bitrate codec. And at least mid tier hifi quality. Ldac APTX HD, UAT way (and up perhaps!). Just for minimal audiophile seriousness.

I will collect best suggestions, share mine, do a list etc. To help those cry baby audiophile like me that seek true high end audio experience or legit Sound value with their potential TWS-Bluetooth buy: IEM, Headphones or DAC-AMP way.

Cheers!

-------------------------------------------------------

Hello heafier!
It make along time i don't start a new thread, but well, i'm into the personal quest of finding the best sounding Bluetooth speaker, cabled and wireless way.
While i'm experienced in critical listening of headphones, speakers, and IEMs (etc), i'm really stock in the dark when it come to hifi Bluetooth speakers, i mean, i did have listen to at least 10 of them, but never begin a serious audiophile quest like i do with IEMs fo ex.
So, the goal of this thread is really about SOUND QUALITY FIRST, unless bluetooth connectivity is so bad its problematic for music enjoyment.
For now, the best wireless i've try is rather average, its the Tronsmart Studio, it's best one in term of wireless speaker with something better than basic SBC AAC, long range stable connectivity and stereo but intimate sound projection, not mono muddy compressed sound projected in a too frontal way. Resolution is quite good and permit decent basic imaging capacity if were not too far from the speaker...its powerfull too, tough the bass isn't taht well rounded or punchy and rumble is thin and dry. Biggest drawback is battery life, which is about 4 hours, so this make it a bit vain as wireless use...

My personal fav i've try lately is the Sonos ONE SL for 2 min in a Costco store it seem, but it's again wired and i'm not sure it's better than the old but quite good sounding Sony CMT X3CD i've enjoy this very christmas at my parent house, its was sounding cleaner and more refined than warmer Sonos it seem, and fullfill a small room with clear, airy and punchy musicality, W shape in dynamic rendering. The Sonos is more warmish V shape with decent clarity and thick vocal timbre (again, 2min listen), treble was less sparkly than the Sony.

I've try for 30 sec the Soundcore Motion Boom, it seem like a basshead speaker, bass hit hard and dynamic is club like, i was impress to see the cheap 100$ price, sure seem legit choice for electronic and beat heavy music. I might give it a try soon.

So, at they end this thread have 2 goal: finding best value Bluetooth speaker with more than decent sound quality and best sounding Bluetooth speakers with no money concern (sub-1000$ to stay rational). And make a suggestions list of best one warm and bright bassy and neutral-balanced way.

Any suggestions of great wireless bluetooth speakers? Please share!

Did the Ultimate Ears Boom3 is decent in term of value with decent sound quality, or well, its a warm boomy sonority?

The Marshall BT speakers look cute, but are they any good?

On my must try list is the Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 4 which seem very promising, and might be my first blind buy, anybody try it?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 20
Add KEF LS50 Wireless II. Top will be LS60 wireless.

Was tempted of the former, but due to space constraints just couldn't be.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 20
Add KEF LS50 Wireless II. Top will be LS60 wireless.

Was tempted of the former, but due to space constraints just couldn't be.
thanks for suggestions mate, its very very pricey tough, but this is perhaps real price to pay to get end game audiophile wireless speakers....KEF is sure a great brand.
LS60 is out of question due to non portable aspect, yet, they might sound fabulous.

Have you try other BT speakers? i would be curious to know your choice under 1000$, especially the Onyx 4.

Dec 28, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 20
Well you said in your title.. THE BEST :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: w/ no price bracket.

My current portable is a Stockwell II. Will change it down the road w/ Minirigs 3 + Sub.
And since I couldn't do stand mount setups, I chose a soundbar + sub i(Polk Audio Magnifi Mini AX) foregoing a bookshelf (Audioengine HD6) option.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 20
Well you said in your title.. THE BEST :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: w/ no price bracket.

My current portable is a Stockwell II. Will change it down the road w/ Minirigs 3 + Sub.
And since I couldn't do stand mount setups, I chose a soundbar + sub i(Polk Audio Magnifi Mini AX) foregoing a bookshelf (Audioengine HD6) option.
Indeed, lol, but i think ive write 1000$ max so its a more realistic buy too, yet, we audiophile are all a bit crazy when we seek the best sound to our very ears:wink:
Im not experienced alot in bluetooth speaker, so the Minirigs sure seem very intriguing....like a custom BT kit...very fun idea! Seem ultra sturdy too...I can imagine 2 mini + sub would sound fabulous.

how is the Stockwell II? can we use Ldac or Aptx HD with it?

Dec 28, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 20
Stockwell II are not that loud for parties(esp. outdoors, and why the change). But they are good warm sounding w/ good battery life. Especially w/ it's large passive radiator. My pet peeve is its auto off function when there is no signal.

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #8 of 20
Stockwell II are not that loud for parties(esp. outdoors, and why the change). But they are good warm sounding w/ good battery life. Especially w/ it's large passive radiator. My pet peeve is its auto off function when there is no signal.
Yes, for party we need bigger woofer tha can move some air and deliver big punch, the Soundcore Motion Boom seem a great budget choice even if a bit too warm for my liking (well, based on 30sec listen at max volume in a Costco lol)...its very big and heavy too.
My brother was attire by the look of Marshall but it was 2 times pricier than Ultimate ear Boom3...which he finaly choose, hope its not a bad one.

Sonos One SL wasn't bad sounding, i base this on demo track, beat heavy pop, since kick and vocal weren't muddy and sound was wide and tall in openess, i conclude they are promising to full a small room with dynamic musicality....

ive begin to look at other ''best wireless speakers'' ranking and their so much of them its a bit crazy....the Audio Pro T3+ is 150$ right now, seem intriguing...but ive read treble is too boosted and bass is lacking....

in fact, you get me very intrigue about Marshall, what about tone control, did adding bass create distortion at high volume?
Killburn II might be the on i try...

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 20
I‘d vote for the BEOSOUND A1, second gen. Really love this one somehow.
interesting choice, it seem great for portability, so perhaps more appropriate for outdoor use...i wonder how it project sound since its lying flat on the ground so woofer is directed upward....how are mids-vocal of these? i guess there no sens of proper imaging?

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 20
Another vote for the Beosound A1 second gen, very portable and if placed in a corner location the sound is better still. In a similar vein the Beolit 20 is superb, really full sound that belies it’s size, has a carrying strap and even provides wireless charging.

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 20
I still love my Wonderbooms from Ultimate ears, not the best but I do like it for the aesthetics (B&O is more lux, this is more lifestyle), the performance to price ratio and timbre. I'm curious on gen 2 and gen 3 and if they sound better

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #13 of 20
I’m using Mini Rig 3 (UK company). Some dynamic mobile power and with long battery life. Can be directly positioned towards listener for more focused effect or against the wall for a wider soundstage and more bass. Can be used as a pair in 2.0 or even 2.1 with subwoofer. Have yet to try 2.1 but might be my kitchen set up once I move.

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #14 of 20
+1 With Minirig 3 in 2.1. It will be my next setup.

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #15 of 20
I’m using Mini Rig 3 (UK company). Some dynamic mobile power and with long battery life. Can be directly positioned towards listener for more focused effect or against the wall for a wider soundstage and more bass. Can be used as a pair in 2.0 or even 2.1 with subwoofer. Have yet to try 2.1 but might be my kitchen set up once I move.
This Mini Rig desig was among first to come out as ultra portable Bluetooth speakers years ago, its interesting to see a come back since indeed 2.0 way permit to custom spatial projection of sound in a precise way. didnt they sell a 2.1 kit at lower price instead of having to buy all at full price...since were talking more than 1000$ cad for 2.1...do you think sub woofer is needed to enjoy bass? 2.0 seem a good deal enough.

EDIT: their bundle deal, ok. im Hooked hard!
https://minirigs.co.uk/speakers/bundles

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back