Bluetooth alternative to an ATH-M50 or should I just stick with wired?
Mar 20, 2013 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

OttoRobba

New Head-Fier
Hi there folks.
I added a TL;DR section at the bottom for those who don't want the entire story.

I'm new to Head-Fi and I did search but did not find anything that could clear this up.

I used to use a pair of Senheisers HD500 (not sure on the exact model) and they served me well but the cable ended up torn and I feared that they might stop working and I would be left with crummy laptop speakers, just as when my first pair of HD500s died on me.

I had no way to try many headphones and so I kinda went with what seemed like a safe and good option, I got the Audio Technica M50. In general, I like them. Strange to come to a closed headphone after years with an open pair but I'm adjusting and they do seem to get more spacious with use - or maybe that is just me.

One thing that is still annoying me is the cable - it makes me a bit uneasy as I'm using it with the Surface Pro and so I tend to move a bit. Had the cable snag on a desk the other day, made my heart skip a beat or two... I'm scared of breaking it and so I'm kinda pampering the damn cable.

As good as the M50 is, I wonder if there isn't a decent bluetooth alternative at a similar price level. Heard good things about some weird options, like the Creative WP-350 (which people where rating higher than the Senheisers, surprising to say the least). Any suggestions? Or should I just stay with the M50? If the sound quality compromise is too high I'll just stick with the M50.

TL;DR:
Is there a bluetooth alternative to the ATH-M50 or should I just stay with it? Is the M50 cable strong enough to me last a long while or will it flake out?

EDIT: I prefer over-the-ear designs.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 4
All I can say is that cables have been a real problem in head-fiers' lives for a long time, and we learn to be careful in general.
Let's say you buy a Bluetooth receiver: the cable will be hanging around...

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 4
Well, I wouldn't go for a bluetooth receiver. I was thinking of a bluetooth headphone alternative as I already have bluetooth in the pc. And it would be usable with my phone as well so that is a nice plus.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 4
Hello!

If possible, always stick with wire! That is because, it cost less for the same audio quality, usually you get better quality with wired. The worse of all Bluetooth create radiation like all of the electronic. Hehe...

My answer is definitely stick with wired. Sorry but I can't recommend you much of the wireless headphone as I had only experienced one wireless model and that is RS220. Horrible signal to my memory but good sound! 

Hope this help!

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back