Bluesound Node - New 2021 model!!
Oct 26, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #31 of 212
I ordered a Node so I could stream to my system in my family room. I got my Node Saturday, spent all afternoon and Sat. evening trying to get the wireless to work. I never figured it out. Sunday I connected it through ethernet cable using one of those things where you connect a transmitter to your router then plug it in to an outlet, the receiver is then plugged into an outlet near the Node and an ethernet cable is run to the Node. Supposedly the signal runs through your electrical wiring, whatever it works. I downloaded Blous app to my laptop and instead of the circle of doom I saw all day Sat. saying it was looking for the node it connected immediately. I'd like to say the documentation that comes with the node sucks but even that is too nice as you basically get none. The web site is no help either. I signed in to Quboz and I was off and running. I don't like the Blous apps Quboz page as much compared to the Quboz website I use to listen with my headphones. It's serviceable but not as easy to use as the Quboz site. Today I had some time so I tried Radio Paradise on the Node, the MQA version. I've been listening to the MQA mellow mix all morning and haven't heard a song I didn't like yet. It sounds great. My question is am I getting full MQA unfolding using just the Node or do I need an outboard DAC to do that? My plan was to use an older Bifrost Uber with the Node but that doesn't do MQA. I am liking this thing. I still have no idea how to connect wirelessly or how to set the presets (which really doesn't matter because the node sits on a rack across the room and I probably won't use them anyway).

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #33 of 212
I ordered a iFi Zen Stream too since I read and heard it sounds better, but the buttons are convenient.

Thanks! Please feel free to let us know how you like it once you have it :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 26, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #34 of 212
I ordered a Node so I could stream to my system in my family room. I got my Node Saturday, spent all afternoon and Sat. evening trying to get the wireless to work. I never figured it out. Sunday I connected it through ethernet cable using one of those things where you connect a transmitter to your router then plug it in to an outlet, the receiver is then plugged into an outlet near the Node and an ethernet cable is run to the Node. Supposedly the signal runs through your electrical wiring, whatever it works. I downloaded Blous app to my laptop and instead of the circle of doom I saw all day Sat. saying it was looking for the node it connected immediately. I'd like to say the documentation that comes with the node sucks but even that is too nice as you basically get none. The web site is no help either. I signed in to Quboz and I was off and running. I don't like the Blous apps Quboz page as much compared to the Quboz website I use to listen with my headphones. It's serviceable but not as easy to use as the Quboz site. Today I had some time so I tried Radio Paradise on the Node, the MQA version. I've been listening to the MQA mellow mix all morning and haven't heard a song I didn't like yet. It sounds great. My question is am I getting full MQA unfolding using just the Node or do I need an outboard DAC to do that? My plan was to use an older Bifrost Uber with the Node but that doesn't do MQA. I am liking this thing. I still have no idea how to connect wirelessly or how to set the presets (which really doesn't matter because the node sits on a rack across the room and I probably won't use them anyway).
The node unfolds the MQA stream and outputs through its analogue out, if using the digital outputs you would need a MQA certified dac.
My dac is non MQA so RP MQA streams are reported on my dac display as 24/88.2
If you have an MQA certified dac then there is an option in the BluOS settings to pass the digital MQA stream to the dac to fully unfold to the full resolution.
Screenshot_20211026-210717_BluOS.jpg

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #35 of 212
The node unfolds the MQA stream and outputs through its analogue out, if using the digital outputs you would need a MQA certified dac.
My dac is non MQA so RP MQA streams are reported on my dac display as 24/88.2
If you have an MQA certified dac then there is an option in the BluOS settings to pass the digital MQA stream to the dac to fully unfold to the full resolution.
I am actually using optical out to a Bifrost 2 and RP MQA is streaming fine. Oh, maybe I didn't read this all the way. :)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #37 of 212
My Node (2i) was a bit hit and miss over wifi but once I connected it via ethernet it has been very stable, and a joy to use. I like the BluOS. Once I'd learned how to use it, it's been great.

Oct 28, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #38 of 212
To setup WiFi, go to settings in the bluos app, go to radio, then WiFi.

The presets are pretty easy too. Here are mine now. Not sure why more than 5 are allowed.
221B2E85-4372-43FD-B96B-37B16BA4E451.png

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #39 of 212
Anyone running a Bluesound Node 2021 into a Peachtree Audio integrated dac amp?

Just wondering how you are hooking into the amp with the Bluesound? Coaxial digital in to the Peachtree uses the dac from the Peachtree and only does 24 / 192.

RCA out from the BS into the Peachtree uses the Node dac which gives you 32 / 384.

I have no interest with MQA.

If USB in ever gets sorted to worked in the Peachtree it would be an easy choice.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #40 of 212
Just placed an order for a BS node (2021 version) should have it before thanksgiving break. This will be my first stream so looking forward to BlueOS and hopefully a seemless setup and user experience. Initially I tried to find a streamer with I2S but didn't want to spend $2k+ on one. Then I was thinking the ifi route but I'm extremely against the DIY products like raspberry Pi stuff. With precious little free time I don't want to spend what I do have fudging around with manuals, hacks, and setups. Just want a plug and play option that just works.

With that said has anyone tried an aftermarket Linear Power Supply with BS node? If so did you get meaningful improvements from it and which PS did you use?

Secondly has anyone used USB out to a DDC and then I2S into their higher end dacs? Did you notice meaningful improvements from the DDC as opposed to just usb out or spidif out?

Finally will amazon HD, qobuz, and Apple HD all work natively through the blue OS? I'm not really interested in airplay or bluetooth so want the streamer to work directly through wifi and then I use my phone/ipad as a controller.

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #41 of 212
Just placed an order for a BS node (2021 version) should have it before thanksgiving break. This will be my first stream so looking forward to BlueOS and hopefully a seemless setup and user experience. Initially I tried to find a streamer with I2S but didn't want to spend $2k+ on one. Then I was thinking the ifi route but I'm extremely against the DIY products like raspberry Pi stuff. With precious little free time I don't want to spend what I do have fudging around with manuals, hacks, and setups. Just want a plug and play option that just works.

With that said has anyone tried an aftermarket Linear Power Supply with BS node? If so did you get meaningful improvements from it and which PS did you use?

Secondly has anyone used USB out to a DDC and then I2S into their higher end dacs? Did you notice meaningful improvements from the DDC as opposed to just usb out or spidif out?

Finally will amazon HD, qobuz, and Apple HD all work natively through the blue OS? I'm not really interested in airplay or bluetooth so want the streamer to work directly through wifi and then I use my phone/ipad as a controller.
1) The Node 2021 has no external power supply, it plugs into the wall AC outlet.
2) The USB does not yet output digital signal, but is promised in the future.
3) The Node does…

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #42 of 212

I've had the node 2021 since June and I've had no problems with BluOS it been solid as a rock. Mine is wired directly by ethernet to my router so I've had no dropouts, it is total convenience.
I Don't use the internal dac, I use an external dac, so I connect the node to the dac with a coax cable. Sound quality is good its very rhythmical it latches on to a beat and doesn't let go, the bass is solid and quick, the treble is a little dark but the detail is still there.
There is the option to upgrade the power board and so you can use power supply of your choice.
https://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/bluesound-329-c.asp

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #44 of 212
I have the linear PS from Fidelity Audio that Rhinonine mentions above (into a Node 2i rather than the Node, if that's relevant). I'm not really sure how much it brought to the party as you can't really do a back-to-back so easily as it takes a while to fit the board inside the Node, but hey ho.

This is probably a daft question but I'll ask it anyway, I use the coax digi out into a Qutest dac - does that mean MQA listening is not possible in any shape or form? The MQA tracks on Tidal sound slightly different to 'CD' to my ears...

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #45 of 212
I have the linear PS from Fidelity Audio that Rhinonine mentions above (into a Node 2i rather than the Node, if that's relevant). I'm not really sure how much it brought to the party as you can't really do a back-to-back so easily as it takes a while to fit the board inside the Node, but hey ho.

This is probably a daft question but I'll ask it anyway, I use the coax digi out into a Qutest dac - does that mean MQA listening is not possible in any shape or form? The MQA tracks on Tidal sound slightly different to 'CD' to my ears...
As it reads, MQA is only “unfolded”, LOL, through the use of it‘s internal dacs. Going around them and you‘re on your own.

As for rebuilding or adding another kit to the PS is likely a good thing I imagine in most cases. Otherwise, externally speaking… linear PS are believed to be an improvement over switching.

This Node product is sometimes a bit frustrating, having buyers waiting for a SW change to allow USB transmission is BS if you ask me. Of all the digital outputs other than I2S it’s better than coax or optical glass. Why they hesitate is beyond me!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back