Blues recommendations
Jul 26, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #17 of 30
various artists - Kenny Wayne Sheppard's 10 days Out, Blues from the Backroad.

317AgXqpnmL.jpg

fantastic blues and a great recording

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #18 of 30
GOD KNOWS I TRIED - JUNIOR KIMBROUGH

OFF YONDER WALL - JELLY ROLL KINGS

THE COMPLETE EARLY RECORDINGS - SKIP JAMES
icon10.gif

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #19 of 30
I'm currently watching Joe Bonamassa's dvd New Day Yesterday and man, this guy is good. I saw an interview where he said he started playing guitar when he was 4 years old. I think he is 29 or 30 now. This dvd, you can hear influences from Robin Trower
biggrin.gif
I also got his Live at Rockplast video to watch next
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #20 of 30
Janis Joplin. I saw her in concert at Curtis Hixon Hall in Tampa. BB King opened for her. Great show! The cops arrested her that night for "public profanity".

Her best are:

Cry Baby
Move Over
Summertime
Try (Just A Little Harder)
Piece Of My Heart
Kozmic Blues
Me And Bobby McGee
Mercedes Benz

Jul 28, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #22 of 30
She did a killer Ball and Chain at the Winterland concert in SF in 1968. Actually that whole Live album is reputed to be the best performance from Big Brother & The Holding Co.
rs1smile.gif

Jul 28, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #24 of 30
My favorite blues musician of all time is Lightnin' Hopkins. I think he is one of the quintessential American musicians.

Give "Country Blues" a go. A wonderful recording! Or, if you can find it, Steve Hoffman did his album, "Blues Hoot". The latter will only run you 15 dollars or less on eBay. Regardless of which album you pick, there are few men with voices, guitar chops, or stories, like Lightnin'.

A nice tidbit on the man:

Quote:

The archetypal story of Hopkins as a performer supposedly involved Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, then a young kid in a band around the corner from my band's garage -- The Moving Sidewalks. Supposedly, Gibbons heard Hopkins play at a coffeehouse and muttered, "He doesn't even know when to change chords." Hopkins was standing behind Gibbons, according to the story, and leaned forward and surprised the teenager with, "Lightnin' change when Lightnin' want to."

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #26 of 30
SWEET TEA - BUDDY GUY
cool.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #28 of 30
Finally gave the Butterfield Blues Band a fair listen. Holy lord was I missing out!

Elvin Bishop and Mike Bloomfield are astounding on East-West. Unlike most blues guys, who just put their stamp on a basic recipe, these guys really stretch out and add a lot to the language.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #29 of 30
Joe Bonamassa's new album will be out soon. Anyone heard all or part yet?

Some of my current favorites:

Luther Allison: Live in Chicago
Scott Holt: Revelator
Sun House: anything
Chris Thomas King: Red Mud, Legend of Tommy Johnson
Sonny Landreth: Grant Street (yikes!)
A.C. Reed: I'm in the wrong business
Eddie Shaw: Can't stop now
Walter Trout: Full Circle

Enjoy!

Mooch

Aug 3, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #30 of 30