BlueJeans Balanced: Belden or Canare?
Dec 15, 2008 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

compuryan

1000+ Head-Fier
I am about to order a 5ft balanced interconnect from bluejeans. They offer the Belden 1800F cable and the Canare "Star Quad" cable (a little more expensive).

Here is a link to their page: Balanced Audio Cables from Blue Jeans Cable

Should I go for the Canare "Star Quad" for a few extra dollars, and why? It will be used to connect my modded Benchmark DAC1 to a (soon to be assembled) balanced β22.

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 8
I've never heard the Belden, but the Star Quad is great cable. I think it will hold its value better, should you decide to sell at some point.

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 8
I came to the exact opposite conclusion. I am not an expert, but I did talk to people -- some folks swear by Belden 1800F. They want lower capacitance and don't need extra noise rejection, hence Belden over Canare.

Your run is going to be very short, yes?
So noise is not an issue.

You know, I can argue the other side too. Isn't the DAC1 an ultra-low impedance device? So the capacitance of the cable will have little or no effect.

Anyway I am going Belden in to my balanced Beta 22, I decided.

Check out NY PRO AUDIO PROFESSIONAL AUDIO CABLES & SOLUTIONS for more choices with Canare, and also Mogami, which the pros love for long runs and studio infrastructure. I am getting some Mogami balanced XLRs from them for my longer runs.

Also, email jrwicetrk2.att.net -- a retired engineer that builds exactly what Blue Jeans does but (a) is cheaper, (b) offers more colors plus techflex, and (c) will fully customize, right down to exact lengths and color bands on the Neutriks. I have placed a large order with him. Tell him Larry sent you! BTW, he is John Wood aka heels-6 on eBay, but emailing him directly is best. He has nothing on eBay right now but his feedback is 100%, he takes PayPal, etc. etc.

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard the Belden, but the Star Quad is great cable. I think it will hold its value better, should you decide to sell at some point.

the "value" of that Star Quad is about $.60/ foot, generally cheaper than the Belden if bought in bulk. not too sure why BJC would charge more for the L-4E6S.

having said that, it is well-shielded, very flexible, easy to work with and sounds good enough to these ears.

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 8
The value i speak of is resale value. That is governed by the whims of the many, and star quad is a popular choice around here.

I use the Mogami variant for most of my recables, and I like it just fine. I'm confident that either one would produce a fine cable.

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of late I have been using Blue Jeans more than the other two I mentioned, and I must say their workmanship and customer support is excellent!

I've ordered multiple sets of cables and I've always been completely satisfied. I'm also thrilled with how fast he ships things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back