Blue Microphones entering Headphone space with Mo-FI
Jan 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

bixby

Headphoneus Supremus
Blue will soon be announcing a new headphone(s).  Full press release so far is here:

http://bluemic.com/blog/2014/01/unleashmofi/

“The market is plenty crowded with lo-fi headphones for mobile devices. But classic hi-fi headphones are too power hungry for our mobile devices. We are ready for the next innovation in headphones and the market is ready now too,” said John Maier, CEO of Blue. “We set out to do what no one else is doing: to end the compromise we make when listening across multiple sources. - 

The only challenge I think they may be trying to solve is variable impedance and efficiency and connection type.  So my guess is maybe wireless for the connection type and perhaps variable impedance and efficiency at the flip of a switch for various sources.  And maybe some preset eq curves for different music or source, eg mp3 vs hi res.

What are your guesses?  See the poll

Can't edit the poll but along with the DSP settings I would like to clarify with perhaps an uncompress mode to increase dynamic range, so click DSP settings if you think it might include an "uncompressor"

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 39
After viewing what Harmon is doing in this vid, I am most inclined to say it might be DSP to enhance low quality files like compressed mp3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvCcOTb-8Ag&feature=youtu.be

But we will have to hear how well it does if that is what Blue has in mind.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 39
I definitely see switches and knobs in the teaser video.  Which likely means active processing in the headphones
confused_face.gif
  Blue, I trust you guys so much, don't screw this up. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 39
So first Blue teased with just this image at CES 2014:

Now they've just revealed some concept sketches that put that teaser image into clearer context.

Looking at these renderings with familiarity of Blue's industrial design chops, one might be able to get some pretty strong ideas about what the Mo-Fi is going to look like. If you're not familiar with Blue's microphone products (and how they look), click here and browse around at their microphone products.

Blue's microphones are well regarded, and their move into the consumer microphone market (focusing on podcasters and videocasters with their USB mics) was where most of you probably first took notice of Blue. Now Blue is moving into Head-Fi territory, and I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of Mo-Fi discussion in the near future.

As far as any other information about the Mo-Fi goes, they're still not saying much publicly.

And as more information about the Mo-Fi is publicly released, you know we'll be posting about it.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 39
It's a bit confusing with "Mo-Fi", personally I'll always think of Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs when seeing that abbreviation... Hmmm...

Cool design though - and on the picture it looks like UD carbon fibre.. or it could be a corse surface from hand polishing..

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 39
I've used two of their USB microphones and I have experienced nothing but good things from them, great durability (several times I have dropped them from a desk onto wooden flooring), and a sound quality that nudges into what you can get from $500+ set-ups. Their expansion into Headphones doesn't surprise me at all. I'll make sure that I keep a close eye on this one.

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 39
Feb 24, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 39
Can't say I like their USB products, but their studio offerings are nice. They play well with each other. Maybe the better Yeti can "nudge" into some $500 setups, but I've always reviled the Snowball. I gotta represent the microphone snobs on a headphone forum right? :p I'm keeping a close eye on this one.

Feb 25, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 39
Kind of a retro monitoring earcup design, looks to be closed, relatively shallow with ~40mm drivers. Probably not tuned for monster bass. The Sony V monitors are pretty popular for their flat mids making them quite adept for vocal work, though I doubt people who do field recording would go for the space-age design over a tried and true simple headband. It would definitely work for their podcast customer base though.

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 39
What do people think about the design? I'm having some conflicts with it. On one hand, I think that it looks pretty cool, futuristic almost; on the other hand, I just don't like it. It looks almost too futuristic. But I guess that I'm nit picking and the SQ is what we really care about.

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 39
  What do people think about the design? I'm having some conflicts with it. On one hand, I think that it looks pretty cool, futuristic almost; on the other hand, I just don't like it. It looks almost too futuristic. But I guess that I'm nit picking and the SQ is what we really care about.

The only concern I have really is that the height adjust mechanism looks like it can trap hair. As for SQ, that'll come in due time.

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 39
  The only concern I have really is that the height adjust mechanism looks like it can trap hair. As for SQ, that'll come in due time.

Ah indeed, and that hurts. Kinda like Koss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back