Blue Jeans Cable Ultrasonically-Welded RCA Interconnects
Sep 28, 2014 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

SpartanX58

New Head-Fier

I recently sent an e-mail talking about the idea of using the ultrasound welding process on custom made silver plated OFC RCA connectors and star quad cables to Blue Jeans. Wayne, the guy that received the e-mail, wasn't very fond of the idea. He thought that it would be a waste of resources and that the marketshare would be way too small.

I want to know what you guys think. Would Blue Jeans cable start making this kind of cable be a good idea? I think it would be an exellent performance and fair priced product. It would't abuse of exotic materials and be an expensive and unreasonable piece of gear, it just uses some intelligent design and the correct use of materials.

I think that gold plated brass is not the correct choice of materials when it comes to RCA interconnects, due to the fact that they don't need to be that though, you won't give quite a beating to them in the same way you would to to instrument cables, in-wall cables and headphone cables. They just stay connected to your system and need to have a good signal. Silver plated OFC connectors are the best coice, because they deliver a very good signal and are resistant enought to corrosion. Yes, silver and copper are kinda soft and bendable, but you wouldn't be putting much of a stress with this kind of cable.

The use of a star quad cable is due to the fact that it is an industry standard and the use of multiple conductors has lots of benefits, like the fact that the signal has more patches to go and due to the fact that the higher frequecies travel trought the surface of the conductor, and that way there are more surfaces to go.

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 18
They're called "Blue Jeans Cable" because jeans are cheap, rugged, and do their job well ,except if your requirement is to dress up in anything fancier than denim. If they say the production process will cost too much* then in a way it might be kind more accurate to say that sounds more like a job for a company called "Custom Italian Suits Cable."  
tongue_smile.gif

*Considering the equipment necessary, plus their orders are various pre-determined (but compared to mass production is already "custom" since you have to order as such, so it's not like for example they can pump out as many as they can, get them into retail packaging, and any hi-fi store can stock them as well as Amazon - like Audioquest for example

Sep 28, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 18
  They're called "Blue Jeans Cable" because jeans are cheap, rugged, and do their job well ,except if your requirement is to dress up in anything fancier than denim. If they say the production process will cost too much* then in a way it might be kind more accurate to say that sounds more like a job for a company called "Custom Italian Suits Cable."  
tongue_smile.gif

*Considering the equipment necessary, plus their orders are various pre-determined (but compared to mass production is already "custom" since you have to order as such, so it's not like for example they can pump out as many as they can, get them into retail packaging, and any hi-fi store can stock them as well as Amazon - like Audioquest for example

Well, that is not the case, it would just use the process that they use to make their speaker cables currently, with star quad cables, an industry standard (like the Canare L-4E6S), something that would have a final cost (for a 3 foot stereo cable) of less than 50$. The silver plated OFC connectors I am talking about are just an alternative to gold plated brass, they would just cost the same since it would use just a thin layer of silver, just for oxidation protection (like the gold does, but silver is much more conductive than gold). They are afraid that they would need to buy a new machine and that people wouldn't buy their cable, so they couldn't pay the investment. Maybe they could make the connector in a way it can fit in the current machine.​

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 18

They are afraid that they would need to buy a new machine and that people wouldn't buy their cable, so they couldn't pay the investment. Maybe they could make the connector in a way it can fit in the current machine.​

Just remember that BJC is less like your usual cable company and a lot closer to a guy doing it all on the side for extra income. He doesn't have the cash reserves of a larger corporation made through very high volume production or very high profit margins, both made possible with dedicated factories, or the corporate identity or assets that can allow for a bank loan. Think of it like asking a small company that assembles reproduction AC Cobras and puts in V8 blocks of any sort to invest in everything that GM (Corvette and Cadillac) uses to make their chassis and  fine tune aerodynamics, except of course it's a lot harder because that small company is at least a corporation that can get loans and perhaps know (or otherwise can find and justify to) a bunch of rich car nuts to invest in his company, like Pagani and Konigsegg for example as they jumped from nearly nothing to producing cars worth around half a million dollars each.

Maybe you can initiate crowd funding for that machine the same way Konigsegg brokered deals with Volvo/Ford for parts and use of their facilities in Europe for developing the CC V8 on top of other investors who poured cash into his company.

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 18

Just remember that BJC is less like your usual cable company and a lot closer to a guy doing it all on the side for extra income. He doesn't have the cash reserves of a larger corporation made through very high volume production or very high profit margins, both made possible with dedicated factories, or the corporate identity or assets that can allow for a bank loan. Think of it like asking a small company that assembles reproduction AC Cobras and puts in V8 blocks of any sort to invest in everything that GM (Corvette and Cadillac) uses to make their chassis and  fine tune aerodynamics, except of course it's a lot harder because that small company is at least a corporation that can get loans and perhaps know (or otherwise can find and justify to) a bunch of rich car nuts to invest in his company, like Pagani and Konigsegg for example as they jumped from nearly nothing to producing cars worth around half a million dollars each.

Maybe you can initiate crowd funding for that machine the same way Konigsegg brokered deals with Volvo/Ford for parts and use of their facilities in Europe for developing the CC V8 on top of other investors who poured cash into his company.

Yeah, that or just making everything fit in the same machine...

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 18
I don't think this is Blue Jeans Cable's market that you are trying to appeal to. Sounds like you want to look for an exotic boutique cable company that does what you want.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 18
I think that Kurt Denke at Blue Jeans Cable has an excellent understanding of just what it takes to make an excellent cable.  An an excellent understanding of just how to make that cable at a reasonable price.

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #12 of 18
Maybe Ghent Audio would make it for him. They do some custom stuff: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/index.html

That is not what I'm talking about, I am talking about a new product that blue jeans would develop for mass production, with industry stardard cables (star quad), with just a different type of connector that would fit in the weld (with the same profile as the banana plugs that they have).

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 18
That is not what I'm talking about, I am talking about a new product that blue jeans would develop for mass production, with industry stardard cables (star quad), with just a different type of connector that would fit in the weld (with the same profile as the banana plugs that they have).

Well, they already told you no. As ProtegeManiac pointed out, BJC is a small company. You have no idea about the operations of their company, and it appears you don't understand their business model. They don't mass produce stuff; they make cables to order. You should respect their business model when they say no and see if another vendor will make it at the cost you are looking for. Why does it have to be BJC? That's why I suggested Ghent Audio. Did you even look at their site and their products?

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #14 of 18
But Star-Quad balanced interconnect cable isn't the industry cable. Star-Quad is a niche cable cable for use in locations with high noise and interference. A company like Blue Jeans keeps their prices low by limiting the number of different cables they sell.

In the US supplies like Markertek and Redco are set-up to deliver more specialty cables.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #15 of 18
  But Star-Quad balanced interconnect cable isn't the industry cable. Star-Quad is a niche cable cable for use in locations with high noise and interference. A company like Blue Jeans keeps their prices low by limiting the number of different cables they sell.

In the US supplies like Markertek and Redco are set-up to deliver more specialty cables.

But they use star quad with their ballanced XLR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back