Blue Circle Thingee or Beresford TC-7510 MK6/4
Jan 21, 2009 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pariah1

100+ Head-Fier
I think I'm down to two DAC choices after a few weeks of research.
atsmile.gif

My choice between these two depends on whether or not USB (Thingee) is better than a digital out (Beresford).

I've read about advantages/disadvantages of each, but what I'm really worried about is if the generic soundcard that came with my computer will affect my digital out on my computer, if it will output internal noise through the digital out and then into the DAC. As far as I know a USB DAC is not supposed to have this problem of internal noise. I'd hate to spend the same amount of money on a DAC that will have background hiss and hum because of it's digital hookup that another DAC will not have because it uses a USB hookup.

So what has the better chances of providing "black" sound, USB or digital out? As far as I know both of these DACs are pretty black.

TIA!

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 9
See if you can find a used Keces DA-151...
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 9
I can't say how a sound card digital out would fare against USB, since I haven't tried one, but I can say that the USB sources that I've used (Trends UD-10.1, Keces DA-151, Keces DA-152) have all been very quiet.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 9
K, thanks. I'm still considering the Trends too...

Is there any advantage to having a powered DAC over one just powered by USB? Is that enough power? I will be using a seperate amp for speakers/headphones anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back