Blue Circle Audio "PaG" Custom Headphone Amp - first impressions/ new pics!
Dec 18, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #136 of 148
Congrats chirawatf!!! Looks very good...welcome to the bluecircian family! so from this moment on PaG has a sister...named CTAG...wow...am curious if the family gets bigger..as we both know they are worth it:)

U only waited 3 months?? Damn...thats fast!!! i waited almost a year for my PaG..Gilbert kept on upgrading stuff on my PaG..lolz..i read parts of ur amp is based on the PaG and on the NSL...i can tell you already ur going to be in for a treat!

Tips: give it at least 200burn in time my friend AND even MORE IMPORTANT: never ever switch it off if u can....as i found out it takes at least 6hrs or more to get it back to normal soundquality after being switched off and cooled down...ofcourse its all up to u..but if always wanna have best soundquality...keep it on power (because of that my PaG doesnt even has a powerswitch..i kept it off to minimize internal cabling AND there was no usage of that button anyway as i would always keep it on, on advice of Gilbert :p

Have fun with ur new jewel...lets us hear how it sounds to u..we all are curious..
Ps..i see u choose for the standard black plastic dial...didnt like wood dials? But i love the 4 Stainless steel screws (?) on the front..looks very classy with ur black front!

Ps..am already thinking in upgrading the dac and powersupply for somethinh better on my PaG and sent it back to do that by Gilbert..HE TOLD ME HE COULD DO THAT ALREADY FOR ME....i got the taste now..... :D

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #137 of 148
Thanks Paulo.
At the beginning I afraid of heat accumulation if it's always power on, my country's weather is mostly hot.  But after I stay switch on for 2 days...no heat at all...it's the coolest amp I have ever used, the cases are cold to touch...not even warm.  Toby told me this amp is not class A, AB, D amp it operates on it's own way.

Now the sound is still so so...have to wait and see how much better will it become.
Paring with my He6 the volume knop is at 10-12 o'clock....I'm sure it has some power
cool.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #138 of 148
 But after I stay switch on for 2 days...no heat at all...it's the coolest amp I have ever used, the cases are cold to touch...not even warm.  Toby told me this amp is not class A, AB, D amp it operates on it's own way.  

That's interesting. I just acquired a Blue Circle BmPH integrated amp for my HE-6's. This thing is very big, and it weighs about 65 pounds. I thought for sure it was going to be an oven. In fact, there's just the slightest hint of warmth. The sound, though, is exquisite!

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #140 of 148
  @ Velomane

Please share you impression of your BmPH-He6 paring. 
And also some pictures of the circuit inside would be appreciate.

I will do so, but I need a bit of time. Also, I just acquired a PS Audio Perfectwave DAC Mk II, so I'll be getting used to a different sound compared to the Yulong DA-8. Even after an hour of listening, I can see that the PWD will add just a hint of warmth, which isn't necessarily unwelcome.

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #141 of 148
Total 3,310 usd (plus 300 usd custom tax)
cool.gif

That's very reasonable.  I've had nothing but excellent experience with BC equipment (including their packing, which is second to none).  This may explain why i have never sold my custom SBH (or power filters or AC Cables) which i bought eons ago (in audio time).  I had Gilbert add a preamp to the headphone section when i bought it; then about a year later, i added a huge custom cap pack, and a couple of years ago i added a dedicated preamp that can run in parallel with the original headphone/preamp, both of which are fed by the power supply and cap pack.  While I have gone to an SET headphone amp as my main unit, I still listen to the BC equipment equipment quite a lot, both the headphone and both preamps.  You will never see these for sale.  

I look forward to hearing more about how these new amplifiers sound, as BC has been moving, lately, towards a more "truthful" presentation, but without any loss in the qualities that make BC equipment sound so enjoyable, which I think has been lost in many of the new state-of-the-art SS headphone amplifiers (that i find truthfully harsh and fatiguing to listen to).

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #142 of 148
That's very reasonable.  I've had nothing but excellent experience with BC equipment (including their packing, which is second to none).  This may explain why i have never sold my custom SBH (or power filters or AC Cables) which i bought eons ago (in audio time).  I had Gilbert add a preamp to the headphone section when i bought it; then about a year later, i added a huge custom cap pack, and a couple of years ago i added a dedicated preamp that can run in parallel with the original headphone/preamp, both of which are fed by the power supply and cap pack.  While I have gone to an SET headphone amp as my main unit, I still listen to the BC equipment equipment quite a lot, both the headphone and both preamps.  You will never see these for sale.  

I look forward to hearing more about how these new amplifiers sound, as BC has been moving, lately, towards a more "truthful" presentation, but without any loss in the qualities that make BC equipment sound so enjoyable, which I think has been lost in many of the new state-of-the-art SS headphone amplifiers (that i find truthfully harsh and fatiguing to listen to).

Thats one of the best discriptions i heard of how my PaG sounds: truthful....as i heard lots of amps in my time and only with this one i have a feelin i can live with for many years, because of how natural it sounds..and as u state...gilberts amps are upgradeable...one of the things thats so unique to his products...u buy a 'humble' BC amp and when ur budget allowes it u upgrade it as far ur new budget allowes to make it sound even better...well...i really wonder how much better my amp can sound, as it already sounds sooo real...but i have to admit..the BC conditioning stuff and the cables (usb and 2x bc62) i bought with my PaG really helps to elavate the already good sound imensely...really recommended.

Am glad BC gets some love here on headfi..their products are worth it!!! They are maybe not the flashiest looking stuff..but they deliver ..and in my book thats much more important then a pretty face. :D

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #144 of 148
After a long period i have an Update ...
Just got all power/usb/lan cables replaced for better ones, got new custom BC powersupply for the USB bridge in the Pink Faun streamer (just before he closed down shop), a new and very heavy Pink Faun Audio pc streamer (to replace my sotm sms200, which did a wonderful job the last 1.5 years) and two high quality switches which i use as buffer (both connected to each other) for the streamer and a new higher quality Nas. And last but not least: he1000 with Toxic Cables Silver Widow SW22-8 cable. A one-off cable with dual mono configuration (two complete separated cables from amp (dual 3pin xlr carbon connectors) to dual custom carbon connectors into my HEK.
This time it took longer to upgrade because of some personal stuff i had to solve the last period..but am back..and spend spend spend..lolz

omg..this hobby is deadly i again remember..hehehehe

Update 23-02-2021:
new DAC: (tube) Pink Faun DAC 2.24 Q, with Sprague Vitamin-Q cap upgrade
new audio rack: Audiophile Starbase Base rack (3 levels).
new rca cable: Pink Faun il-2 Fau
new power cables: Pink Faun PC-1, PC-2 and PC-Power
new USB cable: Elijah Audio Quad Braid MK 2
new I2S cable: Pink Faun I2S custom cable
new Pot meter in the BC amp: Alps Black Beauty

no switches or network, system is now completely off-grid to minimize interference in the sound.
new touchscreen monitor to control streamer through USB

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #145 of 148
With pain in my heart i put my special baby up for sale..1500 euro...for more details contact me

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #146 of 148
With pain in my heart i put my special baby up for sale..1500 euro...for more details contact me
Update: my beloved amp found a new good home. He will be driving an abyss ba1266 thi, red limited edition.
The owner was speechless when he auditioned his hp on my amp...he said in advance he didnt have much time..but in the end he listened and only left my house 5hrs later, with amp in a big box 😉
Will miss him...but the replacement make music literarely come alive....didnt expect any amp (except the ones in the Stratosphere price category) to be so much better in musicality under the 10k price bracket...but it is....am glad i tried it out..was more of an experiment (speaker amp)...happy man now 😉

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #148 of 148
I've been away from head-fi for quite a while now (not away from headphones, just these forums). Way back, almost ten years ago now, I remember reading about your journey with your HE-500 and your 337, and how you supposedly had this amazing custom amp in the works that would blow everything away.

I never did find out the ending to this saga before I stopped frequenting head-fi.

Fast forward almost a decade later...

I've been pulling out my old HE-500 more often lately. I still, to this day, haven't found anything that sounds quite as sweet as this old thing. It got me thinking about what ever happened to hifimanrookie and his magical custom amp. After a bit of googling, I found this thread only to discover that you sold your beloved amp just two days ago!

Hope its new owner enjoys it as much as I'm sure you did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back