Blu-Ray is dead?
Oct 30, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #76 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your "industry professional" clearly does not know what he is talking about

Care to elaborate, or are you just here to troll? Don't put quotation marks around my words, that's insinuating that I'm lying. Maybe you're projecting... dishonest people always suspect others of lying.

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #77 of 218
Where is it written that one has to buy BD's? I own a grand total of 1 and use Netflix to watch the rest. There is a buck-a-month surcharge, which I would assume is almost negligible for anyone with the means to own a HDTV and a player. One's DVD collection won't disappear the minute a BD player is unboxed.

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #78 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are people going to be rushing out to buy the Blu-Ray versions of movies they already own?

some do.. me personally i have rebought a few but i either really like the movie or it was part of a sale or in the case of a couple of them part of one of the 5 free movies offers

the list of all DVDs i rebought in hi-def

BLURAY
beetlejuice
big fish
black hawk down
chronicles of narnia
eight below
fifth element
flight of the phoenix
hellboy
hidalgo
a knights tale
last samurai
national treasure
pirates of the caribbean 1-3
short circuit
terminator 2
unbreakable
underworld

HD DVD
big lebowski
blazing saddles
bourne identity
bourne supremacy
doom
dune
enemy at the gates
full metal jacket
harry potter 1-4
inside man
polar express
scary movie 4
shaun of the dead
sky captain and the world of tomorrow
total recall
tremors
troy
u-571
v for vendetta
van helsing

and in case anybody is curious a photo is easier than a complete list

Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Care to elaborate, or are you just here to troll? Don't put quotation marks around my words, that's insinuating that I'm lying. Maybe you're projecting... dishonest people always suspect others of lying.

if you read the parts of the quote that i bolded it's not to hard to put 2 and 2 together

i know quite a few people who have bought standalone players and let us not forget the sales figures for the players and discs tell a different story from this industry professional you speak of...

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #79 of 218
Quote:

if you read the parts of the quote that i bolded it's not to hard to put 2 and 2 together

i know quite a few people who have bought standalone players and let us not forget the sales figures for the players and discs tell a different story from this industry professional you speak of...

Again, would you care to be a little more specific? Whose sales figures are you quoting? Blue-Ray disc sales are in the low single digits percentage-wise. Blue-Ray players, other than the PS3, are collecting dust on the shelves at Circuit City.

Sorry, but I'm going to take the word of a JVC employee over your anecdotal references.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #80 of 218
Quote:

Sorry, but I'm going to take the word of a JVC employee over your anecdotal references.

BLU-RAY SALES THREAD: Put all sales figures and comments here! - AVS Forum

constantly updated information from many sources vs one JVC employee's outdated numbers (what he said may have been true about a year ago)

that combined with stuff that people like yourself shrug off as "anecdotal references" like what i've personally witnessed working for a major retail chain, what people i know have bought, what i have been told by people i know (both personally and online) who work at other major retail chains... need i continue

and i'd suggest not taking the word of one person over everyone else just because they work for [company here]

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #81 of 218
Quote:

... Blue-Ray players, other than the PS3, are collecting dust on the shelves at Circuit City...

facepalm.png

Um, yeah... there's a pretty good reason for that.

If you're doing your shopping at Circuit City then you've got bigger problems.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #82 of 218
At the post production facility I worked at we had a DVD authoring setup. Primarily used a Sonic Solution system as well as DVD studio 4.

One of the interesting things I found out in the early days of HD dvds was that to manufacture HD-DVD you could easily retool your gear to do it. Wasn't that hard, sued much of the same gear, and was cost effective.

The Blu-Ray format is a different beast. They had a lot of problems figuring out how to copy-protect it for one thing. The other issue is you have to completely retool everything to manufacture one. In the early days you would have to author the disc and then ship a disc image to the manufacturing plant on a hard drive. I suspect that's where the high cost is coming from.

If you know how to shop you can get great deals on Blu-Ray. I've bought quite a few at Costco and then gone down the street to Best Buy and seen them for more.

I admit I'll probably go ahead and buy Baraka at full price since it's a specialty item and will probably be hard to find later. It better be a superior transfer than Chronos.

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #83 of 218
Quote:

BLU-RAY SALES THREAD: Put all sales figures and comments here! - AVS Forum

constantly updated information from many sources vs one JVC employee's outdated numbers (what he said may have been true about a year ago)

that combined with stuff that people like yourself shrug off as "anecdotal references" like what i've personally witnessed working for a major retail chain, what people i know have bought, what i have been told by people i know (both personally and online) who work at other major retail chains... need i continue

and i'd suggest not taking the word of one person over everyone else just because they work for [company here]

I hate to tell you this, but the vast majority of that thread backs up what I've been saying. There are a few Blue-Ray discs of high-tech movies (lots of special effects) that grabbed a whopping 10% of sales, but (by far) most of them are in the low single digits.

I hope Blue-Ray stays, but having faith in Americans looking for quality in their Audio/Video purchases is naive.

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #84 of 218
Quote:

IMHO, Blu-Ray would already be dead if it wasn't for the PS3

Well, it has the PS3, so I am not sure why this is always an argument against BD. I have a PS3 and I bought it mainly for Blu-ray. Yes, I use it for the occasional game, Remote Play, media server, etc... but it the failsafe version of the BD player. We know Sony will continue to offer firmware upgrades to make it viable for the next few years.

Personally, I think BD will be an alternative to HD Downloads for some time to come. Unlike music, it is an all or nothing expenditure. One of the reasons iTunes is popular is that you can download one song off of an album and have everything you want. With a movie, you have to purchase the whole thing, so people might as well get a nice shiny disc to put in the library.

I do agree that there is a convenience of having all of your movies on a network drive for easy viewing all over the house, but I don't think most people care about it. Personally, the inability to easily copy the HD version of a BD to my hard drive is the only thing I do not like about the format. Although, I would guess mainstream people could care less about it. There are BD movies that have a portable version for putting on a computer, but until they have an HD version for the computer, I feel that it is a step down.

Until downloads have identical quality to the BD version, I don't think I will be buying any. So, for now, I am stuck with BD..which is not all that bad. I just have to get off my butt and manually put the disc in the player. There are worse things in the world..
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #85 of 218
Quote:

I hope Blue-Ray stays, but having faith in Americans looking for quality in their Audio/Video purchases is naive.

What kind of snarky look-down-your-nose smart ass answer is that?

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #86 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of snarky look-down-your-nose smart ass answer is that?

The kind that admits that hi-fi isn't exactly popular here in the US. Compare us to the Asian countries, for example.

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #87 of 218
Eh, it's true, don't get all defensive and upset. Price is very, very important. Microsoft has had to keep selling xp why? Because linux was starting to encroach on their territory in cheap, walmart-friendly systems.

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #88 of 218
Quote:

The kind that admits that hi-fi isn't exactly popular here in the US. Compare us to the Asian countries, for example.

Not popular in US? Man, you have to go to Australia, then you know what UNPOPULAR is.

But about Bluray, I think it's worth the money and I do hope that it stays. The difference is significant, and you don't have to be a videophile to tell the difference. I think why most people can't be bothered is because they haven't got a display that can show the true performance of bluray or the setup is not properly configured. (hence why the difference doesn't look that much).
But some Bluray transfers are not very good to begin with, maybe that's why too. If you want a reference quality bluray, get something like: iRobot, Pirates Series, or Iron Man.

Also, go to the shop or people's house and see how many of them just leave the TV under that horrible "vivid" setting for oversaturated colours. Heck, my Pioneer installer, after he finished installing the TV, he actually left it under vivid. It's almost like an insult.

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #89 of 218
I have a few BR discs or I should say I kept the few that I had, as I sold my PS3 three months ago. I usually watch the movie and if I enjoy it I do not really notice the quality improvement over DVD. The only movie where I really enjoyed the higher resolution was Planet Earth and the Pixar short movie collection. Other than that I felt the double or triple amount of money I had to spend on the disc was not worth it. Maybe I would feel differnet about it if I still had my projector, but I sold it when I moved to a new apartment and only use my 46" Sony now.

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #90 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not popular in US? Man, you have to go to Australia, then you know what UNPOPULAR is.

But about Bluray, I think it's worth the money and I do hope that it stays. The difference is significant, and you don't have to be a videophile to tell the difference. I think why most people can't be bothered is because they haven't got a display that can show the true performance of bluray or the setup is not properly configured. (hence why the difference doesn't look that much).
But some Bluray transfers are not very good to begin with, maybe that's why too. If you want a reference quality bluray, get something like: iRobot, Pirates Series, or Iron Man.

Also, go to the shop or people's house and see how many of them just leave the TV under that horrible "vivid" setting for oversaturated colours. Heck, my Pioneer installer, after he finished installing the TV, he actually left it under vivid. It's almost like an insult.

I've got a high definition TV and have only had one friend who seemed really excited about the technology; after watching it, he went out and bought one.

Most of the other people are like "Yeah, it looks better, but not enough for me to pay extra."

Two people have actually said that can't notice any difference
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back